Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

RNY to VSG in operating room

I know, it sounds strange, but I went into surgery on Dec.29th expecting to have RNY surgery and woke up to a sleeve. On top of it all I knew nothing about the sleeve after doing months and months of research on RNY. How could it happen? Well, I am one of the people that have pretty much every co-morbidity that you can name, type 2 diabetes, sleep apnea, hypertension and my personal favorite, stress incontinence and was pretty much assured that they would go into remission, or be cured with a RNY. Sold.

Into surgery I go, with game plan in place and what do I wake up to but my surgeon telling me because of the adhesions and scar tissue he was not able to do a RNY. But he had called my wonderful daughter (in Charlotte NC) from the operating room and asked her if he should close me up or do VSG. After 20 minutes of explaining the surgery (and being reassured that I had the same chances of the diseases going away) and her doing fast internet research, she gave him the go ahead. So he starts explaining all of this to me and I just start crying hysterically. I didn't know anything about the sleeve, I didn't know about diet, etc.

Well long story short, surgery on Wednesday, home on Saturday (with a drainage tube I might add) and after a couple of days of research I found this board. I had been on OH extensively, but to have this board dedicated to the sleeve, all I can say is PRICELESS.

So let me say thank you to everyone that posts and I look forward to loving my sleeve!

Welcome! I'm sure it was an emotional roller coaster waking up and not having the surgery you knew/researched/understood.

While I'm surprised the surgeon didn't talk about options & complications pre-surgery, I'm glad he was able to contact your daughter.

The frist few weeks are going to be a big adjustment for you, but you'll be very happy with this surgery. I know I am.

Best of luck to you. Keep us updated on your progress and let us know what questions you have.

Wow! That's quite the story and experience. Well you hit the mother load on info. and support. Take a day or two to read/study and you will be on your way. God Bless.

I can't imagine the emotions you were feeling after that news was broken! How are you feeling about your surgery now? Do you agree with the doctor's and your daughter's decision? Are you still processing? I am not sleeved yet, but will get it as soon as I finish the insurance requirements. My case worker asked what was my second choice and I told her sleeve only for me -nothing else.

I think that you are very lucky and your daughter very smart to have given them the go ahead. The worse thing would've been waking up form surgery with the keyhole scars but no operation done! You will truely love your sleeve! Good luck to you!

Hi Sunchik, I'm sure you'll be happier with the sleeve. You've got no risk of bowel rotations (massagegoddess - amelia on you tube nearly died from one over a year after RNY). Congrats and all the best! biggrin.gif

I'm so glad you have found us, and I think you'll be just as successful with the sleeve as you would be with RNY. I can't imagine waking up with something different, but please know we're here for you, and any questions you might have. . .

Stay in touch, and keep us posted on your progress ! ! !

Thank you everyone for the kind words and support.

Oopsseedaisy, I do not regret my daughters decision for 1 second. After all of the research that I have been able to do in the past couple of days, it seems as if destiny stepped in and gave me the best.

I look forward to becoming an active member of the sleeve community.

Hi SunChik!

Welcome to the board! I haven't been sleeved just yet but I'm thinking you got very lucky! Congratulations!!!

Thank you everyone for the kind words and support.

Oopsseedaisy, I do not regret my daughters decision for 1 second. After all of the research that I have been able to do in the past couple of days, it seems as if destiny stepped in and gave me the best.

I look forward to becoming an active member of the sleeve community.

Sunchik, Wow, that sounds like such a distressing experience! But just think, you don't have to deal with "dumping syndrome"! BTW, I had my surgery the same exact day, Dec 29th and I also got the sleeve. However, it was not a surprise. What is surprising to me is how painless it was. I hope you end up feeling good about the sleeve and I think it does sound like a twist of fate/destiny for you. Smillzee

I know, it sounds strange, but I went into surgery on Dec.29th expecting to have RNY surgery and woke up to a sleeve. On top of it all I knew nothing about the sleeve after doing months and months of research on RNY. How could it happen? Well, I am one of the people that have pretty much every co-morbidity that you can name, type 2 diabetes, sleep apnea, hypertension and my personal favorite, stress incontinence and was pretty much assured that they would go into remission, or be cured with a RNY. Sold.

Into surgery I go, with game plan in place and what do I wake up to but my surgeon telling me because of the adhesions and scar tissue he was not able to do a RNY. But he had called my wonderful daughter (in Charlotte NC) from the operating room and asked her if he should close me up or do VSG. After 20 minutes of explaining the surgery (and being reassured that I had the same chances of the diseases going away) and her doing fast internet research, she gave him the go ahead. So he starts explaining all of this to me and I just start crying hysterically. I didn't know anything about the sleeve, I didn't know about diet, etc.

Well long story short, surgery on Wednesday, home on Saturday (with a drainage tube I might add) and after a couple of days of research I found this board. I had been on OH extensively, but to have this board dedicated to the sleeve, all I can say is PRICELESS.

So let me say thank you to everyone that posts and I look forward to loving my sleeve!