Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Another surgery question...

In addition to being afraid of failing, I have some other fears. Can anyone give me any information on Dr. Aceves practice with spinals as well as drains? The possibility of a spinal is so scary to me that I am almost dizzy thinking about it. Is this something the dr. does for every surgery or are there other alternatives? Anyone information from anyone who has been through vsg surgery w/Dr. Aceves would be much appreciated. Thank you!

Um, I guess I am confused. What is a spinal? Like spinal tap or spinal block for pain control? If so I am pretty sure that neither is used in these types of surgeries.

I'f I'm not on the right track please tell us what you are meaning by "spinal".

Um, I guess I am confused. What is a spinal? Like spinal tap or spinal block for pain control? If so I am pretty sure that neither is used in these types of surgeries.

I'f I'm not on the right track please tell us what you are meaning by "spinal".

Nope, that's what I mean. I thought I had seen some mention of it in several posts. If they don't do a spinal I will be more than estactic. Any info about a drain from Dr. Aceves?

I have heard that some Dr's do the spinal block for VSG. But a veteran sleever should be able to answer this question better than me.

Definitly shouldnt be doing a tap cause they would be looking for menigitis and well you don't want that.

Nope, that's what I mean. I thought I had seen some mention of it in several posts. If they don't do a spinal I will be more than estactic. Any info about a drain from Dr. Aceves?

I don't think you have anything to worry about, I have read a lot and heard a lot, and have not heard a mention of it before. Not saying some have not experienced it, but I'm sure it is not a general practice.

What do you mean by drain? During my pre-op earlier this week the nurse told me that after the surgery there would be a drain coming out of one of the incision and that it would be removed the next day. Didn't seem to be anything to dread.

Hope this helps!

I don't think you have anything to worry about, I have read a lot and heard a lot, and have not heard a mention of it before. Not saying some have not experienced it, but I'm sure it is not a general practice.

What do you mean by drain? During my pre-op earlier this week the nurse told me that after the surgery there would be a drain coming out of one of the incision and that it would be removed the next day. Didn't seem to be anything to dread.

Hope this helps!

That does help. I guess if it is all taken care of in the hospital I will be okay. I just saw some posts where people talked about going home with the drain and it concerned me about having to deal with by myself because I am not so adept at medical type stuff (and that is putting it mildly):D

My Dr is having us give a self injection for a few weeks after surgery... I think for blood clots... Ill know more after the 12th and my surgeons meeting.

I had my presurgery class today. Only if you have a lot of drainage will they send you home with the drain in . Most of the time, the nurses will pull the next day.

My doctor send you home with blood thinner injections also. It is a very small needle, like an insulin syringe and you take one shot a day for two weeks. Better than a clot though.

I believe that Dr. Aceves does use an epidural block for pain along with general anesthesia. Pain medication injected directly into the spinal space reduces post-op nausea and allows smaller doses of opiates, so fewer side effects. If you have strong objections to the spinal I think they will do general only but the people who opt for that talk about nausea and vomiting post-op. I will be having the spinal as I don't want to vomit and jeopardize my sleeve and I hate feeling pain and nausea. From the accounts here, I think you are snowed pretty good before they do the spinal as no one remembers it or has anything bad to report. I have had a spinal tap in the past and I was fine afterward.