Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this board and glad I found it. I'm scheduled for surgery on Jan. 21 with Dr. Aceves and think I made a great decision with the doctor. I'm going through a lot of emotions the past week as I get closer to surgery. I'm starting to get terrified that my mortality might be compromised in the future without a gross portion of my stomach and the staples that they may leak. I have a 4 year old son and want to be around for him forever. Are these normal feelings?

Thanks everyone!

I guess no one cares to help answer my questions on this forum. Can anyone at least suggest a support group who will help me with some of my questions?

I didn't see your post yesterday. I typically just hit "NEW CONTENT" and if it's not on the first page, I don't see it.

As for your emotions, they are perfectly normal. My thought process was/is, being fat is going to shorten my life expectancy and quality of life I can offer to myself and my family more than having a major portion of my stomach removed.

I would recommend doing independent research on gastrectomies for stomach cancer and ulcer patients. Many people live fully functioning lives with partial or full gastrectomies. There are people that lose their entire stomachs, and they are living good lives.

I checked out the American Cancer Society forums, and read personal stories, read research documents on pubmed.com springerlink.com for VSG and gastrectomies.

If you have an experienced surgeon with good stats, follow the post-op dietary guidelines, your risk for a leak should be less than 1%. See if you can talk to some of your surgeon's patients about their experience. Post on here for your surgeon and see if anyone has used him/her.

I can't recommend a support group because I don't know where you live, what hospital you are having your surgery performed at etc etc.

You can check for support groups through local hospitals to see if they offer a support group meeting.

Don't get discouraged or take it personally when people do not immediately reply. It's difficult to keep up with all the posts when there are nearly 100+ posts per day. Some people don't know the answer. Some don't post at all, and only lurk on here to educate themselves or just read information.

pneal -I am sorry that you did not feel the welcoming embrace that is provided here in VST. I hope you continue to read posts and ask questions. I have gotten so much information from the other members. I have read a lot of very supportive replies from others who understand/remember because they have been there.

I had similar emotions before being sleeved, I have 3 children, 12,10 and 13 months, and I decided that one of the reasons I was doing this was for them!

I believe that your/our morbility and ultimately mortality are at much greater risk if you don't have the surgery, as you you prob know and researched all the comorbidities related to obesity.

It's hard to find all the posts on here since they changed things round , so as Tiff says don't take it personally, this forum is a great support! Good luck for the 21st!

I am sorry that your post was missed. I too have found that if I post at a time when many others are posting, it can get pushed to the second or third page of new content and you get few to no answers. If I am still needing responses, I just reply to my own post to push it to the top. There are some really supportive people here, please don't take it as a personal shun when no one responds.

As for your question, I think they are normal. I find comfort in information and read everything I could find. My hubby on the other hand just wanted to know the doc had great stats and to please not tell him about all the possible complications. I am still terrified at 6 weeks of eating the wrong thing, but it is getting easier. After watching my grandmother have her first major stroke at 53 due to diabetes, my mother at 54 can barely walk due to diabetes an my uncle just died at 56 last summer due to diabetes, I wanted to be there longer for my own children and grandchildren. The risk of me dying in the surgery now was low, but the risk of severe health problems before 50 and death before 60 was very high. It has been worth the fear now to know I will be there tomorrow. Best of luck to you.

THANKS EVERYONE!

I'm sorry I got a little frustrated. I'm just getting so super nervous because I'm going to get it done Jan. 21st. Everything is in order and I'm just rushing through a train load of emotions.

(((sorry)))

Your emotions are very NORMAL! I can't imagine going into any surgery without being nervous. There are so many uncertainties. I believe knowledge always helps quiet my nerves. So keep researching and asking questions.

I am having surgery just a few days before you (January 17th) . I have also run the whole list of emotions. I have a 2 year old, who is why I worked up the courage to do this. Yes, there is a very small risk of complications. the risks of obesity are far greater. I finally realized I faced a much larger chance of stroke, heart attack, etc. if I did not do this.

Good luck. email me if you want to keep in touch for support since we are having our surgeries at almost the same time.