Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Holy Fast Approval Batman!

Hi Everyone,

I've been lurking around for a little while and haven't really posted because I was trying not to get my hopes up. Here's the story:

My Husband and I blew our deductible due to his almost emergency cholecystectomy (gallbaldder) back in September. I had my first multidisciplinary appt shortly thereafter and was told by my doc, "don't worry, If I have to do your surgery on Dec 31st at 10PM, I will be there." So I forged ahead but with very low confidence, especially after reading all the stories about Aetna and their denials. I have aetna, and knew I was missing my 2008 history, so really thought I'd have to wait until next year and pay a lot more money. Had my last multidisciplinary appt on Dec 23, got my approval on Dec 27, had my pre op Dec 28 and surgery Dec 30th!!! I don't know how my insurance coordinator Christine did it, but she pulled it off.

So, Here I am, on sitting here in my LR, on liquid lortabs, abdominal binder on for comfort, sipping sugar free hawaiian punch and craving the hell out of real food. HMM. Not sure if it's head hunger or the ghrelin hanging around in my system, but I think the next few days will be tough. Have to be on full liquids for 4 more days and then thick liquids for a weed, and then on to mushies. Never thought scrambled eggs would sound like such a delicacy!!!

Moral of the story: If you are thinking you might not be approved, you just never know.

Cyn

CONGRATULATIONS, CYN!!! And what a happy New Year it is for you.. and me too.

I, also, had Aetna, and althought hey gave me a hard time at first, the did finallyl approve my surgery, and then as with you, everything happened REAL FAST.

I am now 5 weeks out and down over 20 pounds... shrinking ilke you wouldn't believe. It gets better, believe me.. just stick with the program, and bear up through the liquids and mushies. It will all be worth it.

Let's give a big cheer for Aetna... YAYYYYYY Aetna!

Good luck Cinderella

Lucky!!!! and congrats! : )

I also have Aetna and when first submitted they contacted my doctor's office that they need any medical records from 2008 showing my weight. I had an urgent care visit where I fractured my ankle and it showed my weight. Then they called and needed an one on one with a nutritionist. I got that in. Everything was turned in on Tuesday afternoon. I called insurance on Wednesday morning to confirm they had all the paperwork and it was being forward for surgical review. I got a call from my surgeons office at 2 pm to schedule a date. Holy crap...24 hours and really less when it got to the surgical review. I was sleeved on Dec 1st and loving every minute of it. I do step on the scale every day sometimes more than once. When I started my journey back in February with my seminar I was 232. This morning I was 193.8. We are now doing the 6 months PCP visit for my husband so he can get sleeved hopefully in March or April. Just following your doctor's guideline and you will be the "incredible shrinking woman" just like me. :D

Wow! That's fast! I am calling Aetna today to make sure all my ducks will be in a row! I am going to ask for a case manager. I hadn't gotten one yet. I am on the 3mo diet plan. My Dr/ can't even submit until Feb 14.

My hubby is about to leave the job that has Aetna and the new job does not cover WLS. So he is trying to stay as long as he can to get me covered, but he is already at the new hotel balancing shifts between the two. To really complicate matters, I have a seasonal, 8 weekends only, bar manager job starting Feb 19th-April 9th) I need to push this surgery as far into the future to keep my job (I have a friend that can to do my job the first weekend after, while I "show my face once in a while and hide in my RV). I may pay for Cobra for one month, to push it forward 4 weeks, but then that cost *essentially* comes out of my pay at festival job and still may not get me to April, but helps ensure I'll be back next year!) We will see, but I am tired of my booty, enough to be less afraid of WLS!

Happy New Year Indeed! Here's to a new 365 day trip around the sun!!

I to had Aetna but my approval took a bit longer to go through. We submitted on the 28th of November. On December 8th they called me to let me know I have been approved and we needed to get my date set. I was originally aiming for the 17th, but of course that didn't happen. I had to do all of my preop testing as well as start my liquid diet so my date was moved to the 21st. On the 20th I was almost denied surgery by my surgeon because of a bacteria that was found in my stomach. Long story short because I was having the sleeve done and not the bypass surgery was able to happen as planned. As of now I am 2 weeks and 2 days post op and down from 243 day of surgery to 217 "I weighed this morning :)" Aetna isn't as bad as people think when it comes to approval. I think we all have figured that out. Now I just hope our new insurance "UnitedHealth" is as easy to deal with for the surgery "hubby is starting his 6 months charting this month". Congrats on your fast surgery. Take time to heal, and enjoy the changes that happen so quickly!!

Hi Everyone,

I've been lurking around for a little while and haven't really posted because I was trying not to get my hopes up. Here's the story:

My Husband and I blew our deductible due to his almost emergency cholecystectomy (gallbaldder) back in September. I had my first multidisciplinary appt shortly thereafter and was told by my doc, "don't worry, If I have to do your surgery on Dec 31st at 10PM, I will be there." So I forged ahead but with very low confidence, especially after reading all the stories about Aetna and their denials. I have aetna, and knew I was missing my 2008 history, so really thought I'd have to wait until next year and pay a lot more money. Had my last multidisciplinary appt on Dec 23, got my approval on Dec 27, had my pre op Dec 28 and surgery Dec 30th!!! I don't know how my insurance coordinator Christine did it, but she pulled it off.

So, Here I am, on sitting here in my LR, on liquid lortabs, abdominal binder on for comfort, sipping sugar free hawaiian punch and craving the hell out of real food. HMM. Not sure if it's head hunger or the ghrelin hanging around in my system, but I think the next few days will be tough. Have to be on full liquids for 4 more days and then thick liquids for a weed, and then on to mushies. Never thought scrambled eggs would sound like such a delicacy!!!

Moral of the story: If you are thinking you might not be approved, you just never know.

Cyn

I also have Aetna and they approved my lapband in 4 days and then I changed my mind and wanted the sleeve and they approved it on the phone. I was shoked. I had my sleeve on 12/30/10 also.