Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Emotional Overeating

So I've been having an emotional, difficult week.

First, I have been hanging out with an old h.s. friend. She and I had a big falling out 4 years ago (basically at the worst time of my life, my dad had a stroke, I was diagnosed with PCOS, and I had a big fight with all, literally all, of my high school friends). She was back in town because her dad died, and we reconciled. Even though it was wonderful hanging out again and everything is resolved, it still obviously brought up lots of emotions.

Secondly, about 2 weeks ago my mom had an abnormal mammogram. She had cervical cancer about 15 years ago, so they watch her pretty closely still. It's really small, it's not even a lump, and it can only be seen on a magnified mammogram. But they did a biopsy this week and we're waiting to hear. I'm trying to just not worry about it, but that doesn't really help me from pushing it back with food.

Third, I'm moving in about a month. I have an apartment, but am having a hard time finding a job. I'm worried about money, health insurance, my car, unknown expenses. I'm excited to move, but scared.

And I don't have proper restriction. My fill is next week, so that will help. I am also seeing my psychologist this week, and have a support group meeting next Thursday.

I'm doing okay still. I mean, I'm not eating carbs still, I am still exercising every day. But I find myself snacking, grazing, eating 4-6 meals a day. I am trying to keep myself in check, but it is hard when I am trying to also keep all these other emotions in check.

For me, my biggest trigger for compulsive overeating is feeling emotional/overwhelmed/lonely. Unfortunately, this is not an emotion that comes and goes for me. If I am feeling this way, I usually feel it all day. It's a hard funk to pull myself out of. I'm still making myself go through my daily routines, but I am still having a hard time.

Support? Ideas? Thanks you guys...

Wow! lots of stuff coming down on you at once. Good that you have a support group to attend. I hope they really are a support for you. You've got lots of us here that are hoping the best for you. Let us know how all this turns out.

Terry:)

You're already at least halfway there! You recognize that you eat for emotional comfort...now, all you gotta do is decide if you CHOOSE to do this, or NOT. Put it in terms of your choice. Just like regular, "normal" people, we choose how we comfort ourselves, and there are lots of ways: alcohol, sleep, sex, drugs, food, reading, prayer, meditation, exercise, talking, etc. Give yourself the choice. Maybe you'll see you have some choices, and don't have to choose the same old way.

Sorry there is so much going on. I like the one day at a time approach, and when I get all freaked out, I usually realize I'm not using it!

Good luck! Cindy

You know what keeps me motivated? SEEING A BIG, FAT, UGLY PICTURE OF MYSELF!! I don't ever want to be that person again & looking at it makes me want to do better. Don't know if this would work for you or not. ;)

I have my picture posted in my office inside the cabinet door. When I'm in the office, the door is the first thing to be opened so I can see it constantly. When, I'm out of the office, that door is closed so nobody else has to look at it! ha

What motivates you?! Find out what that is & keep whatever it is in front of you as much as you can.

Thanks... I just feel completely braindead and exhausted right now. I will probably try to go exercise for a bit.

I hear ya. I had the week from hell last week with family illness and work craziness (100+ hours in one week of work :) ) and other stressors. And for the first time I emotionally ate. I couldn't believe it!! And I felt so sick, and so depressed after. It is just really hard to break out of that once you have done it too.

I think the idea of working out is a good one. it releases endorphines to help make you feel better. Also, go for a walk in the sunshine. Be careful!! you and I have the same coloring...and I know you would burn in 2 seconds LOL But the Vitamin D from the sun really can lift your spirits.

I hope this next week goes a bit better, and you mom is in my thoughts.

Thank you all for the support!!!!!! I went to see the psychologist on Saturday, and that helped. But what helped more was finding out on Monday that my mom's biopsy came back negative!!!!!! Woohoo! Now I am just trying to get back into the "only eat when you're hungry" habit. But every little bit helps. :o