Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Brand New to VSG Idea -- Suggestions?

This morning my health care professional suggested I research VSG. I currently weigh 260. She also recommended I take a look at this site. I'm VERY glad I did! I'm obviously just starting this journey from a VSG perspective. Do you have any suggestions to where I should start? What questions should I be asking? Is there anything you wish you had done differently along your VSG journey? I have the "advantage" (in quotes because sometimes I think it is more of a curse than a blessing!) of a Masters in Counseling (never got licensed), as well as several friends who happen to be dietitians. I've been active in OA for 4 years, although not very active lately. (Telling you all this so you can see I've done the mental work forwards, backwards, and sideways, and in between, but am still gaining weight. I feel hungry almost ALL the time.) Suggestions appreciated!

If you like research, and not just personal stories, add me as a friend and peruse my blog. It's full of research articles, dietary guidelines, FAQs.

Personally, there is not one single thing I would do differently. I wanted to lose hard and fast to get to goal, and worry about maintenance when I got there. I did just that by following the post-op dietary guidelines, and low carbing it. Of course, I could not have done this without the sleeve because I was a volume eater, and truly ravenously hungry all the time. The sleeve gave me two thing; immediate restriction, and loss of my physical hunger.

Best damn thing I've ever done for myself. I wouldn't do it any other way.

Best wishes in your research.

I think researching is a great idea! You can follow the stories here or on YouTube as well. I started as a lapband and just had my revision. Be thankful you are starting with the VSG! Good luck. I am so thankful to have found this site!

I understand. When I started my Journey in Feb I was looking at the band. When I first met with the surgeon, he suggested the sleeve. I was shocked-I then started researching online and reading into this forum. I decided to have the sleeve and I am not regretting it at all. I did all sorts of diet and have been overweight most of my life. I did this for my health and I have already seen the benefits and improvements. It sounds like you have a good doctor thinking of what is best for you. Continue your research so you can make the best decision. I do not regret this at all and I am so excited to see where I will be going on this incredible journey. There is a wealth of information on this forum and wonderful people to help you as you research.

This morning my health care professional suggested I research VSG. I currently weigh 260. She also recommended I take a look at this site. I'm VERY glad I did! I'm obviously just starting this journey from a VSG perspective. Do you have any suggestions to where I should start? What questions should I be asking? Is there anything you wish you had done differently along your VSG journey? I have the "advantage" (in quotes because sometimes I think it is more of a curse than a blessing!) of a Masters in Counseling (never got licensed), as well as several friends who happen to be dietitians. I've been active in OA for 4 years, although not very active lately. (Telling you all this so you can see I've done the mental work forwards, backwards, and sideways, and in between, but am still gaining weight. I feel hungry almost ALL the time.) Suggestions appreciated!

I am in the same position as you. I went to a seminar in late Nov. I basically made a split second decision that I was going to get WLS after going to the PCP and seeing how fat I am. (I've been in serious denial!).

This site is great, since you may have a wait (insurance wise) I would read-read-read these posts all the boards, get the book WLS for Dummies, also go on YouTube and search for VSG Journals and check out obesity help.com I would've ended up with a Lap Band if I didn't read all these materials!.

Great advice! Thanks a million! I started systematically reading all the posts tonight, but haven't made a dent in them yet. I started a list of pros and cons, too, plus things I need more information on (big chicken that I am!) The only surgery I've ever had was basically a laparoscopy (done as part of a research study I participated in). That surgery wasn't bad at all -- only the bladder pain since they had me taped to the bed and the pulse oximeter so I couldn't get up to pee on my own after surgery, and no one would bring me the bed pan! (Lesson learned: even though all is well, my husband has to stay with me 24/7 until discharged next time!) Here's the things that have me shaking in my shoes so far (in the order I found them): 1) Hair loss at 3 months? 2) Lots of liquid dieting (yuk!) 3) Drinking dye for x-rays to check for leakage (I have severe allergies to Red #40 & Blue #1 -- I hope they have an alternative!) 4) Sounds like a few have "dumping syndrome" 5) Catheter? (Maybe that wouldn't be so bad considering my bad experiences with bed pans!) 6) Drains? I was hoping I could go back to work quickly enough that no one would notice I had this done. Most of my co-workers were absolutely horrible to another co-worker who had Rou-N-Y (sure I'm messing up the spelling, sorry!) (I successfully hid the laparoscopy from them.) All this said, the pros are still outweighing the cons -- it looks like the death rate is low, and I'm great at following instructions (especially if I think I'll die if I don't follow them!) I haven't fully checked it out, but it looks like I meet all the criteria for Aetna (thanks to the research study I've been in and all the documentation from that, plus my regular doctor recommended gastric bypass a few years ago, so he started documenting for me back then, including documentation I'll eventually need for a tummy tuck). I also have well-documented failure with the Atkins diet (lost 80; gained 90). I might opt for the 6 month route even though I might not have to -- we'll see! I'm going to turn 50 next month -- I've spent my first half century as a fat person -- it would be great to spend the rest as a normal weight person! Thanks again for all the advice. I'm definitely going to get WLS for Dummies, check out You Tube, and look at obesity help.com. I've already requested to be Tiffykin's friend on Facebook -- is this what you meant by looking at your blog? Or is there another one? Any way, my head is swimming, but it still feels right so far. Thanks!

I added you to my friend's list, and sent you a comment on your profile with the link to my blog on here for you to peruse.

The hair loss thing is temporary. The post-op liquid diet is max 2-4 weeks, and full liquids include pudding, yogurt, oatmeal/hot cereals (thinned out), Protein shakes with milk, so it's only temporary as well. Gastrographin is a contrast Fluid that is used for leak detection and it's colorless and flavorless, it actually tastes like flat unsweetened sprite (in my opinion), kind of like when you get a soda and the Syrup level is low so it's all icky tasting, it's not horrible and it's a small amount. I only had drains because I had a leak repair post-vsg revision from the band they are more cumbersome than anything, not painful, just annoying. Urinary catheter never had one. Dumping is pretty uncommon. A lot of us that experience issues with sugar, or high fat have been able to pinpoint it down to high milk fat. My issue is butter cream frosting, and fondant. Other than that I can pound back the Reese's Peanut Butter cups without issue LOL.

One good "lie" about VSG surgery you can use is, "I'm having ulcer surgery". It's post-op is really similar to VSG, lots of liquids, lots of sipping to let the stomach heal.

The first 2 weeks are typically the most difficult. Exhaustion, and fatigue are common due to lack of calories, and general recovering from major surgery. The more walking, sipping fluids the better.

Best wishes in your research.

I am only about 5 weeks out and I really did not mind the liquid diet for two reasons,,, 1. it is hard as heck and time consuming to even drink at first, there just is not room for it! 2. As you heal and can consume more, sugar free choc pudding with protien powder was my best friend! I am just now experimenting with regular food, but let me tell hunger is a thing of the past!

My surgeon always uses a drain, yeah it was a pain in the butt, well belly really, but no physical pain with or with it coming out.

I had a catheter for day one and since your are drinking so little after surgery having to go to the bathroom was not an issue much.

If my hair thins out, small price to pay for all the weight that is gone! I went to the hospital on 4 blood pressure meds and a blood sugar med and came home on none of them!

My daily back pain is gone and I have dropped 3 sizes in a month!

Thanks Tiffykins and Myrori! I feel better about this already! I have a very high pain threshold, and I can deal with anything for a few weeks, no worries! I have super-thick hair which I would miss, but if it grows back, you're right -- it's worth the fat loss! (Is that caused by the high Protein? I didn't have any hair or skin problems with a year of Adkins and 20 carbs/day.)

Thanks for helping me navigate my self-imposed roadblocks! I don't want to get too far ahead of myself here, but I'm trying to think of ALL the pros and cons. I have plenty of time to make up my mind, but can have most of this paid for when they remove my research device since they can do the VSG at the same time.

Here's where I am tonight: one of the big reasons I gained back all the weight I lost on Adkins was all the flabby skin that was left after. I looked great with clothes on, and my husband tried to lie and say it didn't bother him, but I know he was just as grossed-out by all the flab as I was. He really tried, but he's not a very good liar, bless his heart! He is so supportive of me -- I'm blessed to have him on my side! I had a false alarm with skin cancer on my nose a few years ago (totally not cancer), and in the process met an excellent plastic surgeon who I would trust to take care of the skin flab, the problem would be paying for all I would need (and the multiple surgeries and pain). I carry my fat all over -- huge arms are what I'm most self-conscious about, but without the fat to fill me up, my poor, little boobs look like deflated balloons, so I would need a lift there, too. The plastic surgeon talked about a "body lift" way back when. A friend, who has since died about 5 years post-op Roux en-Y, was starting to help me research donating my skin to a tissue bank to get it paid for. She was my age and was denied because her skin wasn't "good" enough. I guess I should look into this again, although at age 50 next month, mine might not be good enough, either. She missed quite a bit of work, and all she had done was a Tummy Tuck about a year before she died. I am getting ahead of myself, aren't I? I'm thinking I should go ahead and take this one step at a time, and remember that my #1 reason for doing this would be for my health, not to look like a Barbie doll! I haven't been diagnosed with diabetes yet, but my a1c is right on the edge. My cholesterol keeps creeping up, too. I've had 2 cousins die from heart attacks and just learned that my brother has recently had a mild one. When I look at the posts of those who have had their VSG surgery done for a while, it looks like almost everyone is 100% glad they did it. Thoughts and comments about plastic surgery welcome!

Happy New Year!

I started taking Biotin 5000 mcg per day three months BEFORE surgery, I'm almost 7 months out now and still take it. I haven't had any hair issues. I reached goal at just under 5 months. I started getting all my Protein in about 2.5 after surgery and started getting it all in from food only from about 2 months on.....I was determined not to lose my hair. I've been lucky, so far any way!! I don't know how long I'll take the Biotin, but I don't see any reason to stop! I get it at Wal Mart, $7.00 for 120 pills I think is what it is.

Thanks Tiffykins and Myrori! I feel better about this already! I have a very high pain threshold, and I can deal with anything for a few weeks, no worries! I have super-thick hair which I would miss, but if it grows back, you're right -- it's worth the fat loss! (Is that caused by the high Protein? I didn't have any hair or skin problems with a year of Adkins and 20 carbs/day.)

Thanks for helping me navigate my self-imposed roadblocks! I don't want to get too far ahead of myself here, but I'm trying to think of ALL the pros and cons. I have plenty of time to make up my mind, but can have most of this paid for when they remove my research device since they can do the VSG at the same time.

Here's where I am tonight: one of the big reasons I gained back all the weight I lost on Adkins was all the flabby skin that was left after. I looked great with clothes on, and my husband tried to lie and say it didn't bother him, but I know he was just as grossed-out by all the flab as I was. He really tried, but he's not a very good liar, bless his heart! He is so supportive of me -- I'm blessed to have him on my side! I had a false alarm with skin cancer on my nose a few years ago (totally not cancer), and in the process met an excellent plastic surgeon who I would trust to take care of the skin flab, the problem would be paying for all I would need (and the multiple surgeries and pain). I carry my fat all over -- huge arms are what I'm most self-conscious about, but without the fat to fill me up, my poor, little boobs look like deflated balloons, so I would need a lift there, too. The plastic surgeon talked about a "body lift" way back when. A friend, who has since died about 5 years post-op Roux en-Y, was starting to help me research donating my skin to a tissue bank to get it paid for. She was my age and was denied because her skin wasn't "good" enough. I guess I should look into this again, although at age 50 next month, mine might not be good enough, either. She missed quite a bit of work, and all she had done was a Tummy Tuck about a year before she died. I am getting ahead of myself, aren't I? I'm thinking I should go ahead and take this one step at a time, and remember that my #1 reason for doing this would be for my health, not to look like a Barbie doll! I haven't been diagnosed with diabetes yet, but my a1c is right on the edge. My cholesterol keeps creeping up, too. I've had 2 cousins die from heart attacks and just learned that my brother has recently had a mild one. When I look at the posts of those who have had their VSG surgery done for a while, it looks like almost everyone is 100% glad they did it. Thoughts and comments about plastic surgery welcome!

Happy New Year!

I started taking Biotin 5000 mcg per day three months BEFORE surgery, I'm almost 7 months out now and still take it. I haven't had any hair issues. I reached goal at just under 5 months. I started getting all my Protein in about 2.5 after surgery and started getting it all in from food only from about 2 months on.....I was determined not to lose my hair. I've been lucky, so far any way!! I don't know how long I'll take the Biotin, but I don't see any reason to stop! I get it at Wal Mart, $7.00 for 120 pills I think is what it is.

Did you say you take 5000mcg a day? Isn't that a lot-? I have been taking 1 tablet a day- havnt had surgery yet- but my doctor acted like that was enough- maybe I should up it- cause I do not have much hair to start with .