Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Tummy tuck done before VSG

Okay, someone told me that since I have had a Tummy Tuck ten plus years ago, that when I have the sleeve my weight loss will not be the same as if I never had the tummy tuck. I do not believe this. But if anyone knows of someone that has had a tummy tuck prior to their VSG I would like to hear from them. I just find this a little bit strange. I don't have a date yet, still have two visits left with my Doctor and the MMPI 2 test. Then ready to submit. Just wanted to throw that out there.

A prior Tummy Tuck will not affect your VSG or your weight loss in any way, other than that you won't have that fat to lose on top of everything else. If you're lucky, it'll be a good thing and you won't have as much loose skin there afterwards as you might otherwise have had! ;)

A prior Tummy Tuck will not affect your VSG or your weight loss in any way, other than that you won't have that fat to lose on top of everything else. If you're lucky, it'll be a good thing and you won't have as much loose skin there afterwards as you might otherwise have had! ;)

That is what I was thinking. When I had it done, the procedure entailed not only the stomach muscle area but the flank and back area. (circumfrential abdominal plasty) Not only fat was removed but a lot of extra skin. They weighed both and a total of twenty eight pounds was removed. It was very painful. The surgeon that will be performing my VSG had asked why I did the tummy tuck first? My response, "seemed like the thing to do at the time and WLS wasn't even on my mind then." He chuckled and said."you did it backwards." I think I did it the right way. ;) The tummy tuck was a three hour surgery which I awoke right in the middle of it and the surgeon yelling she is awake give her something quick!!!!! I had my follow up and he told me no more surgeries for me. I said, "why, is it because I woke up?" he didn't say a word. So that was so very strange waking up and hearing and SEEING but not feeling any pain. Oh so weird.

Thanks for confirming that the weight loss shouldn't change.

I had my Tummy Tuck before I had my VSG. I was around 180 pounds when I had a full TT three years ago. I gained 20 more pounds after the TT and went in for VSG at around 200 pounds. I had the TT after I had lost from 215 (my highest weight ever) and I was feeling pretty good at 180 and hoped it would help me get motivated to lose another 40 pounds. I was tired of losing weight and still having the flabby belly skin from my two pregnancies. I was around 137 when I got pregnant with my first and gained to around 201 the day I delivered. My second pregnancy I was around 145 when i got pregnant and I gained to 207 pounds while pregnant I think. So my tummy took a beating! It was hanging skin and tons of stretch marks that even after I got back to 145 pounds after my second child I had no waist and it annoyed me. Then I gained weight after I started some medications and ballooned to my high of 215 in 2 years. After I stopped the meds I dropped to 180 pretty fast and felt dang good other then the belly and so I had it done. That worked for around 2 years then gained more weight sadly and that brought me to the VSG.

Now that I am at 158 pounds and still losing my tummy looks great it is as hard as a rock and I know as I continue to lose the last 15-20 pounds it will only get better. So ya it was strange that I had that done first then the VSG but I don't regret it.

I had my Tummy Tuck before I had my VSG. I was around 180 pounds when I had a full TT three years ago. I gained 20 more pounds after the TT and went in for VSG at around 200 pounds. I had the TT after I had lost from 215 (my highest weight ever) and I was feeling pretty good at 180 and hoped it would help me get motivated to lose another 40 pounds. I was tired of losing weight and still having the flabby belly skin from my two pregnancies. I was around 137 when I got pregnant with my first and gained to around 201 the day I delivered. My second pregnancy I was around 145 when i got pregnant and I gained to 207 pounds while pregnant I think. So my tummy took a beating! It was hanging skin and tons of stretch marks that even after I got back to 145 pounds after my second child I had no waist and it annoyed me. Then I gained weight after I started some medications and ballooned to my high of 215 in 2 years. After I stopped the meds I dropped to 180 pretty fast and felt dang good other then the belly and so I had it done. That worked for around 2 years then gained more weight sadly and that brought me to the VSG.

Now that I am at 158 pounds and still losing my tummy looks great it is as hard as a rock and I know as I continue to lose the last 15-20 pounds it will only get better. So ya it was strange that I had that done first then the VSG but I don't regret it.

Hi Mp8, long time no see (or no read maybe) Hope you had a happy Christmas and New year! Just a Question reading your TT experience, I have quite a few stretch marks the highest ones ( about 2 or 3) strat about half an inch above my bellybutton , both sides, most of them are quite low down a bit above my C sections scars. I don't have loads though, compared with a lot of people i know who aren't even fat! Did your stretch marks (at least some of them) disappear with your tummy tuck?? I', looking forward to my TT so much that I better get back on the wagon and get to goal, as I'm planning TT for december! How's it going for you, near goal i suposse?

Hey Chilo! Good to hear from you, I had a great holiday season and I hope you did too. I read your post about your husband saying you had a nice figure...it made me chuckle it was so sweet. I have not been following the program but I can report I did not gain during the holidays and that in itself is some sort of miracle right? I am back on the wagon so to speak and hope that by the time we take a vacation around Valentines day to have lost at least 10 more pounds. We shall see.

The TT took care of like 95% of my stretch marks. When they dissect the skin from your abdomen depending on how much they pull it down and remove they will cut a ton of them off. It sounds like the ones a half inch above your belly button will be gone. The lower ones right over your pubic area are the ones that tend to get pulled up a bit and end up at inciscion level but if you don't have them that low or high most will be removed. If you have some Lipo before hand I think it will help them with pulling it lower, tighter and flatter. I think by the time you reach your goal that you will get great results with the TT!

Hey Chilo! Good to hear from you, I had a great holiday season and I hope you did too. I read your post about your husband saying you had a nice figure...it made me chuckle it was so sweet. I have not been following the program but I can report I did not gain during the holidays and that in itself is some sort of miracle right? I am back on the wagon so to speak and hope that by the time we take a vacation around Valentines day to have lost at least 10 more pounds. We shall see.

The TT took care of like 95% of my stretch marks. When they dissect the skin from your abdomen depending on how much they pull it down and remove they will cut a ton of them off. It sounds like the ones a half inch above your belly button will be gone. The lower ones right over your pubic area are the ones that tend to get pulled up a bit and end up at inciscion level but if you don't have them that low or high most will be removed. If you have some Lipo before hand I think it will help them with pulling it lower, tighter and flatter. I think by the time you reach your goal that you will get great results with the TT!

Thanks mp8, had a great holiday too, especially as you said I didn't put on weight! Didn't lose either as I did eat and drink a bit more than a should of. Thanks for the info, I'm so excited about my TT, it gives me incentive to work my sleeve to get to goal ASAP. I will prob be getting liposuction as well depending on whta my surgeon suggests, I can't wait :P