Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Found DURING surgery liver too big i

Went in last September and after I came around in recovery they told me my "Liver" was too big and could'nt get the band around it to my stomach...(Even after ALL the Pre-op testing ect...) Have since been hospitalized for Congestive Heart Failure and find out that enlarged liver is part of Congestive Heart Failure... Now the insurance company has stopped doing Lap Band... Anyone hear of anything like this????

I was on a liquid diet for 10 days before my surgery. I was told it was a 45 min surgery, I was under for 2 hours because my liver was so big that he had a very hard time going round it. But I guess he did it, because I am banded, just took awhile.

Went in last September and after I came around in recovery they told me my "Liver" was too big and could'nt get the band around it to my stomach...(Even after ALL the Pre-op testing ect...) Have since been hospitalized for Congestive Heart Failure and find out that enlarged liver is part of Congestive Heart Failure... Now the insurance company has stopped doing Lap Band... Anyone hear of anything like this????

I have heard that Blue Cross of CA won't cover LapBand for BMI's over 50. I'd ask Dr. C to chime in on the enlarged liver part.

Wow, that must have been a horrible experience for you...the surgery and then waking up and not having the band. My Mom had CHF and I know her kidneys had to work extra hard, and I know it puts the other organs in jeopardy, but I don't know about enlargement of the liver as simply being linked to CHF. It could be you had a fatty liver from the foods that you ate for years and years. I'm so sorry for you that you had to go through this. Did you follow a pre-op diet for a week or 2 before surgery to shrink the liver?

Let us know how you are doing.

God Bless,

Dody

I am surprised they did not switch to an open surgical approach when they could not place the band. I am also shocked that your CHF was not discovered pre-op. Weren't you required to have an EKG, Echo and stress test? I would definitely see a top-notch cardiologist and get some answers.

My liver size was fine, however the week before, during my blood work up, they found my liver enzymes were sky high. Mine was caused from a statin drug I had ben prescribed, to combat cholesterol, and according to a AMA report it, used in conjunction with, metformin was supposed to help prevent diabetes. Of course I stopped taking it immediately, but even though I did, my enzyme levels were still high for surgery, but being able to show that 6 months prior they were fine, it had only been since the medication change helped. And it had also began going down. I was afraid I would do like you and wake up without a band. My Dr. did not have a STRICT pre-op diet, only one high in Protein and low fat, I adopted the stricter diet as well as I could, from what I had read on here. He said it was obvious I had followed the diet, my liver looked fine. Now a few months out from the statin meds, and my enzyme levels are once again normal.

Had you been on any drugs prior to surgery that could have made the liver that way?

I am so sorry about the insurance situation, my insurance wouldn't cover me either, I only fit 2 out of 3 required criteria. So I went self pay and went to MX. I do have a fill Dr. near me, the Dr. I would have used if ins. had come through.

Good Luck to you!

Kat

Gosh I wish I had understood more about the pre-op diet. I don't think I was given clear enough information from my doctor. I'm a diabetic, and he didn't tell me all liquids. Will my liver let me be banded? With 2 days to go, the fear is mounting. Oh how I wish I had found this forum months ago. I'm doing all liquids tomorrow, however his instructions were to have a small Breakfast, small lunch, liquids for dinner, and nothing after midnite. They still haven't given me a time yet. ::my knees are shakin and my brain is weak:: (( keep saying "I'll be fine" )) It could be 5:30 am or 1:30 pm, without a sip of Water until.

My family surprised me with a "farewell" dinner tonite. I walked in and they had ordered a ton of Sushi. My favorite. and everyone says "you can't eat ........ for how long" "I couldn't do it" "are you sure you want to go thru with this" "you're brave" "can't you just diet?"

How sad not to be able to express how much I wish I could just "diet"

and why don't they remember all the diet's I've been on?

I'm getting a manicure/pedicure tomorrow. Taking it easy. Drinking as much Water as I can. Meditating. Wishing. Hoping. Thinkin and Praying

randi

kinda askeered now.

You'll be in my prayers for your band in 2 days! Mine is in 8 days and I am also getting jittery. I try not to dwell on the problems section. The before and after pics make me feel better. I never realized the importance of a pre surgery diet either. I am going to start liquids too!

Good luck and be strong!