Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Vitamins & Malnourishment

I would for for you guys that are post-op to chime in on this situation that happened yesterday. I went to GNC and was asking about different flavors etc on Protein powders etc...so I start talking to the lady who is helping me and I swear she had so much energy I thought she was on something but anyway she asked me which surgery I had and then proceeded:

*Yah but doesn't your stomach stretch and you gain all the weight back?

*I have a couple of costumers who got the surgery 10 years ago and one of the is 88lbs and cannot gain she has to be on tube feeds, and the other one passes out all the time and goes to the hospital for blood transfusions once a month due to low Iron....aren't you afraid of that?(I think she may be referring to the bypass...)

*I went from 232 to 135 all by myself without surgery I don't want to look sick but if it works for you power to you!

I am only barely 9days out girls so....you can imagine how I felt I starred at her for awhile and grabbed my protein, paid, and left, a little bumped since I thought since she worked there she would be more informed but I know our surgery is so young that people either don't know and there is not long term data on it but still how unpleasant. ohmy.gifI felt slightly judged and discouraged by this individual. Has this ever happened to you and how did you react?

It does sound like she is talking about gastric bypass. And that she is not real informed about WLS in general. This is why I pretty much don't discuss anymore with most people. Very few people have a clue about this surgery.

I think we'll be okay. I do know someone that had this surgery like 10 years ago due to stomach cancer and she is thin, but not too thin. She looks good and she feels good. She does take Vitamins and still eats small meals.

It definately sounds like she is not an informed on weight loss surgery....also if these people are having those type of complications most likely they are or have not followed their doctors protocol. Every GNC is different. I go to one and the person I spoke with was a nutrionist also. She never said anything discouraging to me about surgery and gave me plenty of options of Protein she has customers and she also personally uses. Maybe you can find another GNC to go to if you continue to buy with them.

I absolutely loathe the sales associates at GNC. And, I have to remember that they are exactly that "sales associates" nothing more, nothing less. She sounds like a twit, and ignorant. Everyone has a horror story about WLS, just ignore the comments and move on about your journey.

Hopefully, there is another GNC close to you that you can purchase your Protein from. . .

I am cautious about who I strike up a conversation with also, a person who has never had a weight problem can be the least understanding as they never fought the fight.

My relply to her after her statement would have been, " Right what ever works for YOU" and I would have left without buying a thing and followed up to GNC corporate with a letter!

I think you are all correct, thank you, I can honestly tell you guys who are much further out than I that I have NOT in the last seven years remembered feeling this good, WHATEVER it is that this surgery has done for me it has changed my life entirely but it is happening from within which I love. My husband asked me yesterday: "If I gain too much weight can I get this surgery?" Not sure where he is going with this but I have to say the man is transforming too...he has began to understand and every single thing you guys pointed out about what happens is happening. HOW can people who are out there popping energy pills, on phentermine, on some life long meal program, even begin to understand. I think at some point the alcoholic begins to look at alcohol and see the destruction and pain it caused, I feel the same about food, I now look at it not as the enemy but as something that I need to live with a very delicate balance and "respectful" relationship. Thank you once again, this is the best place in the world to develop and grow.

My husband asked me yesterday: "If I gain too much weight can I get this surgery?" Not sure where he is going with this but I have to say the man is transforming too...he has began to understand

My husband has been very supportive of me getting surgery even attending the first seminar with me. He is also overweight with high blood pressure. He goes to a gym and said he would just get serious with that. About a month before my surgery, he realized the gym was not working for him and he is now going through 6 months with the PCP so we can submit him for approval. I know it will be the best thing also for him. He cant wait until he is approved and sleeved.

She says she went from 232 to 135 all by herself. I wonder how long the weight will stay off. The statistics are that she has a 95% chance of gaining it back. Sorry you had to go through that. Obviously she has no clue!!!

The last time I went to GNC, the guy behind the counter was totally hopped up on something. I swear it was like talking to a crack head. I wouldn't worry about this sales person and her obvious lack of knowledge about the subject of weight loss surgery and what supplements would be helpful. Her journey is hers, your is yours - at least you aren't going to have to come down off some crazy supplements after your weight loss :)

I found the guy at GNC very helpful and Hawt btw. I told him I had just had surgery and he showed me which protiens were the best and the shaker bottles. He asked about taking pill forms etc. I have to say the shakes he find "taste really good" are terrible but hey his looks made up for it.