Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Weight Gain

Sign in to follow this  

Okay so I have Aetna insurance and I am doing the three month program. I am currently on month 2 (about to be on month 3). In November (first month) my nutritionist weighed me in at 270lbs. I have also been seeing an exercise therapist that also weighs me and in November she weighed me in at 271lbs. At the very beginning of December my exercise therapist weighed me in at 271lbs. I just had my second nutritionist appointment today 12-22-10 and she weighed me in at 280lbs! I've gained 9lbs in December! Yes, I am definitely going to blame it on the holidays. I have been to SO many Christmas parties and it's just hard. Now, I know I can lose that 9lbs by my next and final nutritionist appointment which will be in January.

However, I am just a little worried that my insurance company (aetna) will see that 9lbs weight gain and deny me. I mean, I AM going to lose it by my next nutritionist visit and be at my original 270lbs. I am just worried about insurance.

So my question is, has anyone gained weight during their weight-loss program but then lost it to be back down to their original level and still got approved?

Thanks!

You definitely need to ask. Every company is different and even within the same insurance company there are many different policies. I called my Nurse Case Manager (the ONE who decided that I was a good candidate at the beginning of my 6 month required check-ins and the same nurse who decided yes or no once my case was submitted) and I asked her point blank, what happens if I gain weight during the 6 months? She said it didn't matter, but for me personally what did matter was that my BMI needed to be ABOVE 40 to qualify (I have no co-morbidities) and further more she said my BMI at my FINAL 6 month check in would be the one they used to consider my approval.

To be honest I used that sort of as my 'excuse' to not have to "diet" during my 6 month time...but I will say that the only time I gained weight was a family vacation to Hawaii and I gained 2lbs when I got home. I lost it within a week or so, but basically my weight stayed the same for the entire 6 months that I was being monitored.

Just call and ask ...just make sure you are asking the right person. But at least then you will know what specifically applies to you.

Okay so I just got off the phone with Aetna because I was freaking out. They said it's okay if you gain a little weight during the weight-loss program because weight gain can be caused my retaining Water, muscle mass, etc. So I think I'm in the clear! Now, just to get these pesky 9lbs off...

Phew! Glad it won't have a negative effect!

Probably high Protein, low carb will get the lbs of quick.