Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How does heart burn feel?

Well, this may sound stupid, but I don't think I ever had hearty burn. Every now and then, after an extensive night out, I had a "sour burp" but just one and that was usually it.

Now, since yesterday afternoon, I am having some discomfort right at my solar plexus, ie. under the sternum. I was telling a friend, who asked if I am having heartburn. She doesn't know much about WLS but she said that's where she hurts if she has heartburn. On the other hand, there is no burning sensation, it almost feels like the something is stuck but there isn't because I can eat and drink without restriction.

Yesterday was also the first day I tried a new and cheaper PPI, Omeprazole instead of Prilozec so I think she may be on to something. I took a Prilozec after that last night, but it is still there this morning.

In addition, I actually had a little bit of cashew chicken with rice yesterday for lunch. It wasn't much but it was the first time I had rice.

Does any of this sound familiar? Does anyone have heartburn like this? I always thought heartburn was always sour burps...

For me it could be anywhere from a mild discomfort and tight feeling in my chest to an intense pain. At one point it was so bad I was having pain under my right shoulder blade.

I only had heartburn on rare occasion after a big night out as well pre-op. It was a burning feeling with some icky burps. But, post-VSG, all I had was discomfort, and a gnawing feeling after I'd eat something. I take a prescription generic form of Prilosec (omeprazole), and I've taken the OTC form of Omeprazole as well without any change. I accidentally let my RX run out, and had to wait to get it filled so I bought some OTC.

I have had a couple of cases of what I call breakthrough reflux, and it's been when I've eaten poptarts and one episode of reflux after jalapeno and chipotle ranch dipping sauce/dressing. Out of all the crazy, spicy food I eat, stinkin' poptarts had me having a major case of reflux. I still take my Prilosec every day at 18 months out only because I don't want to deal with reflux, or false hunger. For Prilosec to work with maximum efficacy, it's recommended to take on an empty stomach an hour before eating, or 2-3 hours after eating. I take mine first thing in the morning, and wait an hour to eat.

I take a prescription generic form of Prilosec (omeprazole), and I've taken the OTC form of Omeprazole as well without any change. I accidentally let my RX run out, and had to wait to get it filled so I bought some OTC.

Did you think there is a difference between those two?

My Prilosec was prescribed but it said OTC on the pack. And now, 7 weeks out without anything, the ONE DAY where I take Omeprazole from costco I get this.

They have the same active ingredient, how can that be such a difference? Or is it all coincidence?

Eureka, this sounds like that I have, right under your ribs in the middle? Tiffy, is that your type of discomfort too?

It's pretty much gone now, but I still had it when I got up, so it was going on for about 16 hours.

I am probably overreacting, especially considering what pain and discomfort a lot of other people have and I got nothing at all aside from this now!

Did you think there is a difference between those two?

My Prilosec was prescribed but it said OTC on the pack. And now, 7 weeks out without anything, the ONE DAY where I take Omeprazole from costco I get this.

They have the same active ingredient, how can that be such a difference? Or is it all coincidence?

Eureka, this sounds like that I have, right under your ribs in the middle? Tiffy, is that your type of discomfort too?

It's pretty much gone now, but I still had it when I got up, so it was going on for about 16 hours.

I am probably overreacting, especially considering what pain and discomfort a lot of other people have and I got nothing at all aside from this now!

The main difference is the OTC I bought from Walmart was a tablet form, and RX generic form is a capsule with little pills on the inside. I did not notice in difference in how I felt the week I took the OTC generic tablet form from how I feel when I take my RX. I did get discomfort around my sternum, kind of like a twinge, or "pang". It was false hunger, and happened an hour or so after I ate.

I'm not sure why there is such a difference, but it could just be how your body is reacting to the medication.

I don't think you're overreacting at all. I was hypersensitive to how I "felt" every day of my life for the first 3-4 months. Any new change, or occurrence had me wondering what was going on inside my body. I logged everything I ate to make sure I could note any intolerances and then avoid those foods for a little bit then try them again.