Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

loosing too much weight??

Hi,

I'm 3 months out had surgery on Sept 21 and have lost 59lbs. I started out 262 and now I'm at 203. I stopped doing cardio because of weight loss, but continue to do light weights. My blood pressure before surgery was low now it is too low 86/48. I'm not dehydrated, by surgeon said it's just my body trying to adjust to the rapid weight loss. She wants me to go on meds to raise my blood pressure but I'm resistant....worried if it goes up it may never come back down. I have added salt to my diet and that has helped considerably.

I eat 4-5 meals a day all Protein, eggs, cottage cheese, tuna, chicken, nuts, greek yougart. I just tried mac and cheese with tuna in it, but was too heavy on my stomach. Carbs don't seem to sit too well with me (that's probably a blessing since I was a carb junky) I just added 45 gm Protein Shots you get from GNC that has added 212 cal to my diet as well and has slowed my weight loss down a bit.

Has anyone else had this problem? If so how are you managing it?

Dawn

Hi Dawn, wow!!! Isn't this a great problem to have? Who'd have imagined you'd need medications to raise your blood pressure??? I know my blood pressure has been EXCELLENT since being sleeved.

I hear you on the cardio workouts. I lose big time when I'm doing them, and working hard to make a goal right now. When I'm not doing them at all though I notice my weight loss will slow or stop. I'm the type that will need to do them always during the weight loss phase. I'll just do more or less depending how fast I want to go.

I just wanted to tell you, you are doing an amazing job!!!! Congrats so far and all the best as we all continue on our journey through the end!!

Hey, I was sleeved on November 10th and weighed 323 and now I am down to 280. I think maybe you are on track and losing what you are suppose to be losing when comparing it to what I have been losing. Be proud of your accomplishments.

Hi,

I'm 3 months out had surgery on Sept 21 and have lost 59lbs. I started out 262 and now I'm at 203. I stopped doing cardio because of weight loss, but continue to do light weights. My blood pressure before surgery was low now it is too low 86/48. I'm not dehydrated, by surgeon said it's just my body trying to adjust to the rapid weight loss. She wants me to go on meds to raise my blood pressure but I'm resistant....worried if it goes up it may never come back down. I have added salt to my diet and that has helped considerably.

I eat 4-5 meals a day all Protein, eggs, cottage cheese, tuna, chicken, nuts, greek yougart. I just tried mac and cheese with tuna in it, but was too heavy on my stomach. Carbs don't seem to sit too well with me (that's probably a blessing since I was a carb junky) I just added 45 gm Protein Shots you get from GNC that has added 212 cal to my diet as well and has slowed my weight loss down a bit.

Has anyone else had this problem? If so how are you managing it?

Dawn

Yes, I've been dealing with it since the end of February/early March. It's orthostatic hypotension, and I refused medications as well because the body will adjust. The fainting spells were the worse for me. I could handle the brief dizziness, but the nearly fainting/blacking out spells were getting out of hand. Pushing fluids, increased activity, and sodium helped me tremendously. I had to do some form of brisk walking, or something even though I was well below goal, because weight lifting wasn't cutting it.

I was already 15lbs below goal when mine started with a loss of 128lbs so my body waited until I was done losing to go through this phase. I pushed Gatorade, and stopped restricting my sodium intake so strictly and that made a world of difference. I'm back to doing one day(40 minutes) of cardio only because cardio is good for our hearts, and 3 days of weight lifting and ab/core workouts.

My PCM and surgeon both explained it that the receptors for blood pressure are in our necks, and it takes some time for our bodies to adjust especially when we stand up too quickly. I haven't had any major issues in a couple of months, but will have an occasional "spell"

Yes, I've been dealing with it since the end of February/early March. It's orthostatic hypotension, and I refused medications as well because the body will adjust. The fainting spells were the worse for me. I could handle the brief dizziness, but the nearly fainting/blacking out spells were getting out of hand. Pushing fluids, increased activity, and sodium helped me tremendously. I had to do some form of brisk walking, or something even though I was well below goal, because weight lifting wasn't cutting it.

I was already 15lbs below goal when mine started with a loss of 128lbs so my body waited until I was done losing to go through this phase. I pushed Gatorade, and stopped restricting my sodium intake so strictly and that made a world of difference. I'm back to doing one day(40 minutes) of cardio only because cardio is good for our hearts, and 3 days of weight lifting and ab/core workouts.

My PCM and surgeon both explained it that the receptors for blood pressure are in our necks, and it takes some time for our bodies to adjust especially when we stand up too quickly. I haven't had any major issues in a couple of months, but will have an occasional "spell"

Tiffyikins,

I am so glad to hear someone else experienced the orthostatic hypotension. I am a trauma nurse and actually passed out in a trauma recently when I bent over to plug the patients oxygen into the cylinder under the stretcher. The salt has tremendously helped!!!!

Hey, I was sleeved on November 10th and weighed 323 and now I am down to 280. I think maybe you are on track and losing what you are suppose to be losing when comparing it to what I have been losing. Be proud of your accomplishments.

Mjr, thanks for adding some perspective to my weight loss. Other then the low blood pressure I feel fabulous. I think I might even take the advice of Tiffyikin and Lilmisdiva and continue cardio once a week and weights the other 3 days. My job is extremely physical and I average about 8 miles of walking on a typical day in the ED, but my surgeon said that it's not cardio and it's the normal activity my body is use to so I have to amp it up. I was hoping working would be enough....teeheehee!! The hardest thing is getting my Fluid and meals in while at work, but my co-workers are amazing and supportive and WE do our best to get me off the unit for ten mins every 4 hours for a snack.< /p>

cheese sticks/string cheese are a great quick snack.< /p>

Be careful of adding a lot of sodium to your diet - it's not great for you. Make sure you're doing it under a doctor's supervision.

Other things to consider are maintaining your volume intake, avoiding alcohol, and pumping your feet/ankles before getting up suddenly.