Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Will I have to give myself heparin shots? This is the first I have read of this! OMG....My surgery is on Dec. 29th. Now I am getting scared. That sounds worse than this diet that I had to start on the 14th. Any and all replies much appreciated.

Thanks,

Shannon

With any surgery there is a chance of clots. The heparin is to help prevent clots that could form post surgery (any surgery that is). I think your doctor is taking precautions.

I was given two heparin shots, one in pre-op and the other the morning after surgery. The first one hurt and burned and now I have a big bruise in my arm, but the second one was not that bad and I did not get a bruise from it. I imagine that you will get heparin shots while in the hospital but I haven't really heard many people having to give them to themselves once they get home. Each doctor is different though.

The doctor nurse will give you the heprin as a precaution on the blod clot thing. When you get back from surgery get up and walk as soon as possible. You will want to try to move that gas that the doc pumps in you doing you laproscopic procedure. It also help blood circulate..You will do fine.

I was given several heparin shots in the hospital. They didn't hurt any more than any of the other shots I've experienced.

I had to anti-coagulants for 2 weeks after surgery. My husband googled how to administer them and they weren't that painful. I am still covered in bruises tho and I've not had any shots for a week now!sad.gif

Oh! Thanks all for your fast replies. I have already had my pre-op testing and wasn't told any of this. So thank you again for all helpful info. Happy Holidays to all and stay on track during these stressful but joyful times!

Blessings,

Shannon

Will I have to give myself heparin shots? This is the first I have read of this! OMG....My surgery is on Dec. 29th. Now I am getting scared. That sounds worse than this diet that I had to start on the 14th. Any and all replies much appreciated.

Thanks,

Shannon

My doctor prescibed Lovenex shots. The kit came with a dvd that showed how to administer the shots. I had to take these for 14 days after the surgery. I hated doing the shots but it prevented any complications for blood clots. There is another here on the forum who developed a blood clot and had to be readmitted and is still in the hospital after several weeks. So, giving myself shots vs an extended stay in the hospital...shots I will do. If you have to do it at home, you will be fine. Good luck.

I had my first hep shot right before surgery. I was so upset because no one mentioned that I would be getting a shot in my abdomen every 8 hours while I was in the hospital. I HATE shots and honestly freaked out and made the nurse wait while I "got ready" to get the shot. I told her ok, she put the needle in and it was out in no time and honestly, didn't hurt at all. None of the heb shots did and they were all in my lower abdomen. Like everyone else, I am a month out and I still have a few bruises. I am glad I had the shots, wouldn't want a blood clot! Also, the first day they took my blood sugar every 6 hours to ensure that I didn't need insuline (I didn't). On those, have them do the needle in a different finger each time and on the side of your fingerpad. When they do it in the middle of your fingerpad it hurts afterward when you use your fingers. Good luck with everything!!