Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Shoulder Blade Pain

Hi

I was just sleeved on 12/7 and never really experienced gas or severe pain. Now I seem to be having pain between my

shoulder blades and a very "full" feeling when I drink. Could I be getting gas this far after surgery? Maybe a leak?

I take Prilosec for acid, so I dont think it is that.

I am such a worrier and thought I would check in with all of you before I worry myself too much.

Thanks!!

I did have pain inbetween my shoulder blades until about a month after surgery, I was told that it was because of the gas that they use to inflate our tummies to do the laparoscopic surgery can irritate the nerves that go to the shoulders. Are you drinking maybe a bit too quickly and thats why your tummy hurts?

I work in the hospital and allot of laproscopic patients complain about the same pain. I had the gas settle in my shoulder joint...

I am 5 almost 6 days out and I to had major gas pains in my left shoulder and then it moved to the right. Now I am dealing with gas pains in my left side. I really don't think it's a leak considering the doctor has me drinking 16ozs of purple sugar free koolaid and it's never showed up in my drain. I just think it's the gas from surgery. I have heard stories from friends with the same experience on how they delt with the pain for a month after surgery because the gas wouldn't come out. IDK I am already past the shoulder pain and it was a killer.. Try a heating pad and rest see if that helps. Also try rocking I started rocking the other night and it's amazing how much it helps soothe everything. As for the feeling full and tummy problem sip sip sip. I still catch myself taking a drink to fast and half way through know it's to late, but try to slow it down. I went through my first fight with sipping broth to quickly early started having hot flashes, as well as an upset stomach and gas. Our bodies have to adjust to the new stomach as do we. It gets better is all I hear day in and day out so that's what I'm going to say to you.. It gets better!!

It could be a combination of things. Spasms, and gas can cause this type of pain, and discomfort. Try sipping warm fluids very slowly. A heating pad might help the discomfort if it's gas. Hang in there, it gets better.