Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

For years, I've had an elevated resting heart rate (110-125bpm), and even in July when I had my well woman exam, my resting heart rate was around 98. We (myself and my medical professionals) always attributed it to my obesity, and the fact that I do smoke. I had hoped that with my weight loss my heart rate would level off, but it maintained 110-125 bpm up until July when it registered below 100. I was absolutely thrilled, but my PCM was only willing to wait another 6 months before sending me for a cardio work up. After the orthrostatic hypotension diagnosis in March, it really became apparent that my body was still adjusting. I still have bouts of hypotension, and my bp drops to 80/45 occasionally which is downright scary, but I just increase fluids and sodium again, and then I won't have bouts of almost passing out for a couple of weeks.

With all that being said, my resting heart rate is down to 82bpm. Yes, it's still HIGH, but for it to drop from the 100's is amazing. I would like to get it down to 70. I'm sure working out is attributing to this improvement, and I'm hoping when I go back for a follow up with my surgeon on the 20th, he'll be pleased with my heart rate. I know that quitting the smokes will definitely help, but we all know my story with kicking that habit.

Just thought I would share because NSVs this far out are few and far between.

That's fantastic Tiff and exercising definetly helps, I know for a fact, my heart beat used to go easily up to the 160 mark when exercising to 100%, so I continued to exercise (that was when I was still fat) and took it down to 140 BPM when exercisng to 100% which is around the normal range, so continue the good work, I would say!

Woohoo! Good work!

I too have a high resting heart rate. I always say I have a rabbit heart beat. I think it is coming down but I haven't been to the doctor in a while. It would be fabulous if I could get it down to 70.

Congrats :) good news!

Congratulations Tiff. What a great NSV!

For years, I've had an elevated resting heart rate (110-125bpm), and even in July when I had my well woman exam, my resting heart rate was around 98. We (myself and my medical professionals) always attributed it to my obesity, and the fact that I do smoke. I had hoped that with my weight loss my heart rate would level off, but it maintained 110-125 bpm up until July when it registered below 100. I was absolutely thrilled, but my PCM was only willing to wait another 6 months before sending me for a cardio work up. After the orthrostatic hypotension diagnosis in March, it really became apparent that my body was still adjusting. I still have bouts of hypotension, and my bp drops to 80/45 occasionally which is downright scary, but I just increase fluids and sodium again, and then I won't have bouts of almost passing out for a couple of weeks.

With all that being said, my resting heart rate is down to 82bpm. Yes, it's still HIGH, but for it to drop from the 100's is amazing. I would like to get it down to 70. I'm sure working out is attributing to this improvement, and I'm hoping when I go back for a follow up with my surgeon on the 20th, he'll be pleased with my heart rate. I know that quitting the smokes will definitely help, but we all know my story with kicking that habit.

Are you on any medications of any kind? I was on one for depression. Then they said my bp and heart rate were elevated and put me on bp medicine. Then my cholesterol was up and they added that medicine. This past spring I said forget all the medicines and stopped them all. My bp came down to borderline instead of high. My 110 heart rate dropped to 88. My cholesterol.........well........ lets give the sleeve a chance to work on that. My point is there are so many things that can affect heart rate. Even naturopathic meds.

Are you on any medications of any kind? I was on one for depression. Then they said my bp and heart rate were elevated and put me on bp medicine. Then my cholesterol was up and they added that medicine. This past spring I said forget all the medicines and stopped them all. My bp came down to borderline instead of high. My 110 heart rate dropped to 88. My cholesterol.........well........ lets give the sleeve a chance to work on that. My point is there are so many things that can affect heart rate. Even naturopathic meds.

No meds with the exception of Prilosec. I've had this "condition" for over a decade. It started after I got the depo shot in 1998 after the birth of my son. I stopped the shot within 9 months because of the horrible side effects. My eKgs always come back normal, chest xrays look good, ct scans with contrast all look good.

I'm just so grateful it's down at this point. I'm sure it would drop even more if I quit smoking. That is an entirely different beast for me to beat right now.

Thanks so much ! ! ! I had my 18 month follow up yesterday, and my heart rate was 72 ! ! ! I had them take it 3 times, and all 3 times it came back under 75.

I am so elated, and I know it may not seem like a big deal, but I am so grateful. Heart disease runs in my family especially among the women of my family so this is a huge victory in my weight loss journey.

Tiff, that's amazing -- congratulations!

And, I had to look up "orthrostatic hypotension" (I knew it had something to do with posture because of the Latin roots, but still!). I believe that I have that as well; when I stand up rapidly, I get very lightheaded, which is characteristic of a hypotonic episode. Good to hear that it's resolved (or, at least, resolving) for you!

Very happy to read this post!

Mine has been in the 90s for the past two years and it scares me! I had a stress EKG (treadmill) before my surgery just to make sure I was okay and the cardiologist said everything is fine. He said that the high heart rate and the fact that my oxygen level drops a bit during exercize is not normal and that he may want me to have a CT Scan on my lungs to make sure I do not have a tumor. I did have breathing work up and a lung x-ray recently and all is well. I'm afraid it is because I was exposed long term to toxic mold in my home. :( I sure hope that the weight loss works some magic!

Tiff,

I have smoked for 25yrs and in October I bought the electric cigerettes and they worked great. It fulfilled my need when driving or talking on the phone. After about a month I just picked them up randomly and have not touched them since December. Not saying that I have completely quit with the electronic cigs I'm sure I will pick them up again but I don't think I will ever smoke a regular cig again. I have quit 100 times over the years just like losing weight but the electronic cigs did it for me. Hope the info helps.

Tiff,

I have smoked for 25yrs and in October I bought the electric cigerettes and they worked great. It fulfilled my need when driving or talking on the phone. After about a month I just picked them up randomly and have not touched them since December. Not saying that I have completely quit with the electronic cigs I'm sure I will pick them up again but I don't think I will ever smoke a regular cig again. I have quit 100 times over the years just like losing weight but the electronic cigs did it for me. Hope the info helps.

Thank you so much ! ! !

Okay, I hate to be one of those people who "self diagnose" (lol) but I think you've just done it for me! The hypotension thingy. I have the exact same issues - started out with hbp before weight loss - now it's the opposite and most of the time when I get up from laying down or stand too fast, I have to stand perfectly still (learned this the hard way!) for a few seconds until the lightheadedness and "black spots" go away! Hmm - also my blood sugar goes way low at times - anybody experiencing that?