Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Mother and Daugther Sleeved 12/3/2010!

My mother and I (44 and 65 years old, respectively) were sleeved on 12/3/2010 by Dr. Umbach in Henderson, Nevada- Blossom Bariatrics. Dr. Umbach has created a "one-stop-shop" for bariatric surgery----and our experience was excellent. I found Dr. Umbach, as I was looking for a Center of Excellence designated surgeon, who was not astronomically priced as we were both self-paying. I was jerked around by Kaiser (Woodland Hills) - after being referred by my primary care physican, "invited" to their seminar...I received a letter indicating that I was not qualified. Note, my BMI was 39, and I had significant co-morbidities.

Anyhoo.....God blessed us with the ability to self-pay and find a brilliant surgeon, to boot.

Readying for surgery with Dr. Umbach was no small feat. It was evident that this doctor wanted us to be well-suited for the surgery. You have to begin the liver, shrinking Protein Shake diet before hand; there is a lot of lab work-ups, chest x-ray, ekg and clearance for surgery from your primary care physician which must be completed prior to your arrival in Nevada. After we completed all of that....along with additional cardiac clearance for my mother- we arrived in Nevada. It was stressful, as my mother was only cleared the day before. We had to meet with a nutritionist, meet with the surgeon, take a psych. exam. And even after all of that Dr. Umbach must meet with you, review your labs, weight loss history and feel comfortable with you getting surgery and- let's face it- that he, too is willing to assume the risk of performing it for you.

The day of surgery you go to Seven Hills Surgical Center. I researched them extensively, as well, and the center, the nurses- our anesthesiologist were all excellent. There is a new article about this center forging the way for Centers by contracting with on group of anesthesiologists (doctors) instead of a rotating bunch of individuals. That swayed me in terms of choosing the best for my mother and I.

A am writing this only to give my opinions...and share our experience with this surgeon, as I would have appreciated any information I could find on any surgeon I was considering. Every individual must work closely with their own doctor and support circle to decide if this surgery is "right" for them -----and do the same soul searching when finding their surgeon. But our experience with this surgeon rocked.

The hotel was great - free shuttle to our appointments. My mother had no pain, wondered if she had surgery. I HURT LIKE HELL, but every day it was better - the 4th day markedly better (we met with Dr. Umbach again). The pain medication took all pain away and we both feel brilliant today - 9 days post op. My mother went back to work 4 days after surgery (she did feel tired at work). I don't go back until tomorrow.

I have lost 10.4 pounds since first meeting my doctor here....6 lbs since surgery. My mother has lost 6 lbs. I gained 2 lbs (had lost 12) - but I ate the broth from commercial tortilla Soup which I think was too high in sodium. No more of that.

Hope this helps. We cannot wait to see our dual metamorphosis!

I had my surgery with Dr. Umbach last January and I agree - he rocks. Felt comfortable with him and his abilities from day 1.

I look forward to hearing more about your journey and anxious to watch your progress.

Thanks for your post. I'm glad to hear that your mother is doing so well. I was like you, unfortunately, and thought that maybe I had been run over with a truck. Day 4 was a turning day for me as well.

Merry Christmas to you both!

Congrats, and what a wonderful way to be 'diet-buddies'!

My husband is getting sleeved too (we are still waiting for the yay or nay from our insurance) but we both had to complete a 6 month program for our insurance along with the psych. eval, blood work, pulmonary tests, EKG, nutrition class, etc. etc. I was 2 months into the process when my DH decided to join me on this journey, so we are hoping he will be sleeved next week. At any rate it's nice to have someone who knows what you are going through and that person is a family member. Good luck and welcome!