Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post Op Stabbing Pain In Breast: Has Anybody had this?

I just had gastric surgery on Tuesday and I am home from the hospital. I have had a stabbing pain in my right breast since I got home 2 days ago.

Has anybody had or heard of that type of pain? What was it? Any recommendations?

Please help...

Thank you for letting me know...I don't think it's gas...I've experienced gas pain...it just feels like an actual stabbing pain in my breast...similar to a pin or needle stabbing pain...I am hoping somebody might know about this...

I had the same pain under my collar bone. It's not gas as in flatulence, it's gas from when they fill your abdomen with CO2 gas. Bubbles can get trapped under our skin, in different cavities. I was just giving some ideas.

I'd call the surgeon if it's too bothersome of you get febrile. Did they have to do a hernia repair as well?

you're right...it could be the CO2 gas...it just feels really sharp and it's only when I move...I was thinking of going in for an x-ray because maybe a staple got loose...have you ever heard of that???

My gas was under my left breast and in my left shoulder for over a week and OMG it was SO PAINFUL!!! I hope you figure out what it is and it goes away soon for ya!

you're right...it could be the CO2 gas...it just feels really sharp and it's only when I move...I was thinking of going in for an x-ray because maybe a staple got loose...have you ever heard of that???

If a staple came loose, you'd be having more than just pain in your breast. I've never heard of anyone having just one staple come loose because of the stapler lays the staples out.

Do you have any incision close to your chest? My closest incision to my breasts was right below my sternum. It's the one they use the liver trochar in to move the liver out of the way.

so true tiff. I was told by doc when I had gall blatter removed that I was suffering from lesions. Apparently when my incisions were healing they created a lot of scar tissue and sometimes it pulled and caused stabbing pains. The C02 really sucks too..You hurt really bad and it just seems to take a long time for all the gas to move..

Call your Dr. not to scare you but when I had a blood clot and it went to my lungs it was a severe stabbing pain under my breast.

I had the same pain under my collar bone. It's not gas as in flatulence, it's gas from when they fill your abdomen with CO2 gas. Bubbles can get trapped under our skin, in different cavities. I was just giving some ideas.

Tiffykins, how do they get the gas out when finishing the surgery? How does the gas "pass" post surgery?

Not to sound naive, just confused! :huh:

Thanks

Tiffykins, how do they get the gas out when finishing the surgery? How does the gas "pass" post surgery?

Not to sound naive, just confused! :huh:

Thanks

You have to walk it off, and it just dissipates out of the body. You don't burp or fart it out. It just moves throughout the body and escapes through natural processes. Some of it escapes when they remove the trochars, and it's not like you wake up with a belly 5 times the size it was when you went in. It's noticeably bloated, but it goes away.

I had a plumonary embolism in 2003 and it was a stabbing pain in my chest. It was hard to breathe. It probably isn't this but just to be sure I want to post for your to be aware.