Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery on the 21st Start pre-op diet on the 14th!!

So I was approved today for my weight loss surgery.. I am so so happy with the approval and can't wait for the 21st to get here. I am just confused as to how the liquid diet works. I get my packet on the 14th that will explain everything to me, but I would like to start getting things together before then. What are the best Protein Shakes, and what beverages can I have "water, milk, juics, etc." These are things I would love to go ahead and stock up on. I go grocery shopping once a week, and want to get it now instead of waiting. Any experience with this sort of thing is greatly appriciated..

It varies from doctor to doctor, but they are all trying to accomplish the same thing. Basically, they want a low carb/high Protein, low calorie diet to both shrink your liver and drop a few pounds. Mainly they want to shrink the liver.

My docs is this:

-64 oz Fluid a day - must be sugar free, non carbonated calorie free. (Water, crystal light, diet snaple, etc)

-1 Multivitamin and 1500 mg Calcium supplement a day

-4 Meal Replacement shakes a day - must be less than 200 calorie and less than 23 gm total carbs. and at least 13 g Protein (they suggest Slimfast high protein, no sugar added carnation instant Breakfast with 8 oz fat free milk, Dr. Atkins shakes or any others that meet the above guidelines.

- dinner of 4 oz lean meat, 1 cup veggies (not potatoes, corn or carrots ), can have high Fiber lite bread. Basically he wants a low carb dinner.

- 1 snack of 1/2 cup raw veggies or light n fit , or other light yogurt.

Some docs. make you do liquids for the 2 weeks. My previous doc did, but the basic goal is to decrease sugar and carbs enough to shrink the liver. You will also be on Protein Shakes for liquid portion after surgery. There are a couple of threads on here of places to order online.

My doc wants me on the 2 weeks of liquids only. i go in january so i havent gotten my breakdown of what i can and cant have yet. but they have already gotten me in the habit of substituting a couple of meals with protien shakes. and i love the Chike brand shakes. they have several flavors that rock! makes it so much easier and they are more filling than i thought they would be. i am on the search to for some good clear liquid recipes for like broth and the sort. ya know, so things dont get too boring and i am spazzing out before week one is even over. haha. good luck to you and cant wait to hear how it goes and see your progress!!

Well what I thought would be a week long liquid diet is actually a 5 day liquid diet. I went in yesterday and they provided me with a shopping list of items they recommend to there patients and what "liquid" items I can have.. They said there main rule of thumb if it fits through a straw it considered a liquid. Any Soups I eat I have to strain first to get chunks out "cream of anything is fine just without the chunks" The only thing I am going to miss are my meats but I will have them back eventually. I am going shopping today to finish getting the rest of my items. "Sams Club here I come" I go back in on Monday for all of my preop testing and to be scoped. I have to be back at the hospital Tuesday Morning at 5:30 am!!

Sleeve buddies!! I am stoked about my date!! And was very surprised that my doctor only requires a 5 day liquid diet pre-op, and a week-two week liquid diet after. The goal is to get back on mushie foods by the end of the first week, but not to harm the staple line. I went shopping today and my 4 year old was having a fit about me buying baby food to eat "with seasonings" It's got a good amount of Protein and it's low on sugar. "Earth's Best from WalMart" I start tomorrow with nothing but liquids.