Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sleeved Nov 16 - Readmitted to hospital 20 days later

Sorry to hear about your complications. Wishing you a speedy recovery. Over a year ago, I experienced several blood clots after a simple knee arthroscopic surgery. I was also admitted to the hospital. They put me on oral as well as injection blood thinners. I have been off all blood thinners. My surgery is scheduled for March so I am concerned about blood clots again, but my surgeon is going to put me on medication prior to surgery as a precaution. Best wishes for a speedy recovery. Please keep us posted during your recovery.

Sorry to hear about this, that sucks :( Get well soon.

Just as an FYI for others - surgery and immobilization are independent risks for blood clots, but you can also have a predisposition to blood clots. If you've had clots before or are worried about it, ask your doctor to run a thrombosis panel pre-op. They can check for Factor V Leiden, Protein C or S deficiency and a few others.

I'm so sorry to hear about your complications -- please take care of yourself and let us know as soon as you can how you are doing -- you'll be in my thoughts and prayers!

I hope things get better for you soon. I suppose everyone is different, but with the doctors help I am sure they will pull you through this difficult time.

Chin up and take care!!!!

Kelli,

Sending you love and hugs from Wales... hope you have a safe and speedy recovery... xx

UPDATE

Well Moday (12/13) will be a week now since I went into the hopsital. I'm still in a great deal of pain. Pain meds have helped but as soon as I try to let up on them I start to feel just as much pain as I didn't when this all started.

They have my on a couple different blood thinners, antibiotics, nausea meds, morphine an and muscle relaxers.

I had another CT scan on the 11th and there were no changes. Blot clot is still hugh and pancreas is still inflammed. My doctor said that he really didn't expect to see much improvement this time, he said he was making sure it wasn't getting any worse. So that's good news.

So for now I keep walking, resting and trying to do everything they tell me to do.

I'm really starting to get depressed. This is deffinatly not what I expected. I was doing great until all of a sudden this happened. I was eaing all of the right things, drinking my fluids, getting all of my walking and taking all of my pills/vitamins. I know in time it'll all pass and I'll be happy with my sleeve. It's just that with Christmas coming up it's just been hard to deal with. Oh yeah and i've gained 18lbs since Monday... I know, Water weight but still depressing.

I just wanted to say thank you to everyone. I really don't have anyone to talk to that can relate and it really makes it easier keep focused and stay positive when I can read about other peoples experiences. Hopefully my next update will be one saying that I'm back at home and feeling good.

Kelli

Kelli, I am so sorry that this happened to you. Thank you for the update, I have been thinking about you and hoping that you are feeling okay. Sending you hugs and I will be checking back and hope to see that your issues are soon resolved and you can be released...hopefully soon!

Kelli, thank you for checking in! I was thinking about you. :)

I'm glad to hear the condition hasn't gotten worse, and if your Dr. says that's a good thing - then I'm sure that's the case.

Being in a hospital bed all the time is no fun, so I'm sure it's making you feel sad and ready to get back to your normal life. I hope that will be very soon! Hang in there and know everyone here is rooting for you!!! Please let us know how you're doing! I know I'll be looking out for any updates.

Hugs!!!

Hang in there Kelli, I'm praying for you, try not to get depressed, just think that after these complications you will love your sleeve. ;)

Sending prayers from here. Be well. !

Briar Rose.

Sorry for the late post, I pray your recovering okay at this time. I had no complications, I just wanted to send my blessings and a hope that all is well.

I just wanted to update everyone and to see if anyone has had these complications...

I was sleeved Nov 16, 2010. Everything had been going great. I felt my recovery was taking slightly longer than other peoples just because I was still feeling enough pain to be taking pain meds until day 12ish. Other than that everything was normal. Until Sat 12/4 I was feeling extreme nausea and couldn't keep even a sip down, I'd throw it back up then start dry heaving. So the next day I started having horrible pain from under my rib cage down to my hips, my whole abdominal area. I was able to drink about 5oz of an EAS Protein shake, which I sipped throughout the day. I was feeling very dehydrated at that time. Monday morning finally gets here and I call my Dr office as soon as they opened. He says I need to get to the ER ASAP. My pain level at this point was deffinatly a 10!! So they run some tests and a CT scan and find out I have a huge blood clot that has formed from the vessels in the stomach and I have pancreatitus. He said both were very painful and that I'd have to be admitted and put on blood thinkers until the clot dissolved, and NPO for the enlarged pancreaus. I might have to have a PICC line or feeding tube put in. I'm totally freaking out about both.

I'm typing all this from my phone while all drugged up, so I apologize I left out some details.. just seeing if this has happened to anyone. Because I thought I had read about everything that could go wrong... but I never read about this. I'm so sad right now and worried about what's going to happen...

Thanks for listening,

Kelli

UPDATE

First I just want to thank everyone for the well wishes.

I was finally released from the hospital a couple days ago... Luckly I didn't have to have the PICC line or feeding tube. Ended up I had Mesenteric Venous Thrombosis (blood clot) and Pancreatitis. The DRs said both of these can be caused by "trama" (surgery) to the abdomen. I don't have any gall bladder issues (yet) so it's not from that. It was absolutly horrible, I've never felt so much pain in my life. I feel slightly better but still need my pain and nausea meds everyday. Due to the clot I have to be on coumiden for at least 6 months and I'll have to get my blood checked once a week. I'm on full liquids and having a very hard time getting my fluids and Protein down. I guess on a good note I'm down about 26 lbs... If anyone has experienced this please message me, I've looked online and can't really find too much on it. I've read about some people that have had RNY having these issues but it was a couple years after surgery. I just had my surgery Nov 16 2010...

Kelli