Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Scared with Questions

I'll start by introducing myself. I'm new to the forum and new to VSG. I actually just found out about it 2 weeks ago and it's always lurking somewhere in my thoughts. I wasn't going to post but the more I think about being sleeved the harder it is not to write.

I guess it's like finding a miracle just being out of reach. I used to weigh 140lbs in highschool, got pregnant my last year and gained 80 lbs. I kept thinking it would be a breeze to get off but the more I stuggled with it, the more depressed I became. I have a terrible view of my own body and want to shrink into nothing when I see a photo I didn't escape from in time. I actually cried when I saw what our first professional family photo looked like after we had our children. I wonder who that odd looking woman is in the photo's with my husband and my kids. I know its me but I just don't feel how pictures tell me I look. And looking in the mirror is a struggle each day too. I always see the person I used to be... until a picture is taken. All I can think is that is not what I looked like when I was looking in the mirror...

I live in Canada, newly under BlueCross. I am 99.9% sure this surgery is NOT covered at all. Which is why it is unattainable at this point. I want you all to know I did make an effort to lose the weight the good old fashioned way and its just not happening. I think the lowest I've weighed in the last 5 and a half years was 200lbs.

BUT the reason I am in here is to prep for a surgery regardless of whether it happens or not because I am still trying to lose the weight AND find a way to make the sleeve a possibility in my future.

My number one question is "what happens with smoking?" I haven't read a thing about it and I've been going over the site every couple days or so. I'm what you'd call a heavy smoker. It's the one thing in my life I have had a really hard time giving up. I've changed a lot of things about my diet but smoking just hasn't been one of them yet.

The extra weight I carry has been a burden on me. I'm borderline diabetic and I'm not even sure what that means. I know I have skin issues because of the extra weight and also being "borderline". I stress about how I look ALL the time. I wonder how my husband has actually come to love me physically... I know that sounds terrible, but understand I am only 24 and he fell in love with the 16 year old me. I changed at 18. Hmm, just re-reading that, he's known me as the larger version for longer than he knew the skinny me. Either way, I don't love myself physically. And I have tried to change it, too many unsuccessful times it seems. I just want to feel good about myself again. Feel healthy... I don't see how anyone could be happy when shaving your legs becomes a task in itself.

This whole post is because I'm SCARED. I'm terrified to not have the surgery. I'm scared I'm going to spend the rest of life not being part of the memories. I'm scared simple everyday tasks are going to remain somewhat more difficult for me because of the weight. I'm scared my kids aren't going to have their mom to do things with them when they get older. I'm scared I'll always be this... this person I've become that I don't like.

I guess I'm most scared of being scared my whole life.

If there are any canadians on this forum who has the sleeve surgery:

~Was any portion of the surgery covered?

~if so, with who?

~Where did you get it done?

I have a lot of questions I just can't think of them all but any information would be great.

And I apologize if this seems somewhat blog like. I've just never found a place where I can say what I'm feeling. My weight difficulty isn't something I have anyone to share with.

I live in Canada, newly under BlueCross. I am 99.9% sure this surgery is NOT covered at all. Which is why it is unattainable at this point. I want you all to know I did make an effort to lose the weight the good old fashioned way and its just not happening. I think the lowest I've weighed in the last 5 and a half years was 200lbs.

My number one question is "what happens with smoking?"

If there are any canadians on this forum who has the sleeve surgery:

~Was any portion of the surgery covered?

~if so, with who?

~Where did you get it done?

I have a lot of questions I just can't think of them all but any information would be great.

And I apologize if this seems somewhat blog like. I've just never found a place where I can say what I'm feeling. My weight difficulty isn't something I have anyone to share with.

Hello Crying Angel,

Bluecross will most likely not cover the surgery but you should check out your provinces health plan. Which province are you in? Alberta covers RNY and I think the lap band but not sleeve. The waiting list is years just to see a doctor here. If you can afford I would suggest paying out of pocket. I am going to Mexico to have surgery with Dr. Aceves where I will be paying approx $9000, but it will be worth it in the end. I would suggest you find a doctor you feel comfortable with and have done your research on be it in Canada, US or even Mexico.

You would be best off to quit smoking now. Smoking for one is bad for your health but it also is bad for healing which with this proceedure you want to heal fast. Have you checked out different therapies? Champex (I have heard great stories about this), Cold laser acupuncture (I have heard mixed reviews as it depends on where you get it and if it will work). In the end though you will have to be the one who wants to quit. I do hope that you find a way to kick the habit.

Coverage of the surgery I hear you can claim on your taxes (health portion) and also if you live in AB you can claim a portion on your health care.

Do your research and make sure this is what you want to do. I know I went through a long battle with myself deciding if this was the right thing to do. I have my surgery date for Feb 2011 and I am excited to start my journey.

Hello Crying Angel,

Bluecross will most likely not cover the surgery but you should check out your provinces health plan. Which province are you in? Alberta covers RNY and I think the lap band but not sleeve. The waiting list is years just to see a doctor here. If you can afford I would suggest paying out of pocket. I am going to Mexico to have surgery with Dr. Aceves where I will be paying approx $9000, but it will be worth it in the end. I would suggest you find a doctor you feel comfortable with and have done your research on be it in Canada, US or even Mexico.

You would be best off to quit smoking now. Smoking for one is bad for your health but it also is bad for healing which with this proceedure you want to heal fast. Have you checked out different therapies? Champex (I have heard great stories about this), Cold laser acupuncture (I have heard mixed reviews as it depends on where you get it and if it will work). In the end though you will have to be the one who wants to quit. I do hope that you find a way to kick the habit.

Coverage of the surgery I hear you can claim on your taxes (health portion) and also if you live in AB you can claim a portion on your health care.

Do your research and make sure this is what you want to do. I know I went through a long battle with myself deciding if this was the right thing to do. I have my surgery date for Feb 2011 and I am excited to start my journey.

I live in Saskatchewan, and I have been told that some of the cost will be a tax deduction as a medical expense. I think I know the company I want to go with because the cost as a whole is $10,900. That includes flight to Mexico for you and another person and everything is all-inclusive for both people. Except only one will be having the surgery of course.

I decided after a lot of thought and while making this post I need to quit smoking anyways. That's the first step to being more healthy for me. BUT I wanted to know what the smoking guidlines are with VSG. Is there restrictions? Limitations? I'm assuming it's different with every doctor as well.

I've been doing loads of research. I understand there are risks. I think about the risks more than anything right now. All because I've never had any sort of general anesthetic, never had any surgeries before either. But when I think about the risks, I also think about the long run. How my health is important to me. I know my first post sounded more physical than anything but I do want to do this for health reasons mainly. I don't want every day I live to be a task.

I plan on scheduling a consultation with the company who does this in sask. Look into financing and find out everything I can about the procedure. I want to talk to people who have had this done. Everything I've read that people have written is they have no regrets what so ever. I don't want to live a life full of regrets...

The part I can help you with is the smoking thing. I didn't quit before surgery, and have been a 1/2-3/4 pack smoker for 15 years now. I have quit 3 times since surgery, but always go back to it because I like to eat to replace the habit of smoking which is pretty standard. But, the issue with smoking after gastrectomies is increase chance for ulcers. I haven't had any issues thus far, but I know I'm at a higher risk because of my choice to continue smoking. Most surgeons want smokers to quit 4-6 weeks pre-op to help prevent anesthesia complications, and to avoid withdrawals post-op.

It's the hardest habit to break for me. I like smoking, I stress smoke, I like to smoke when I drive, chat on the phone, when I have my morning coffee. Those are all my triggers, and well I obviously can't stop driving, I won't give up my coffee, and I'm on the phone a lot. I've tried all the cessation methods, and they suck. The patch made me a little crazy, Wellbutrin (Zyban) makes me super insane, and did help with cravings, but the side effects really wrecked me. I became pretty manic, and I lost all my appetite, and dropped down to 119lbs which didn't help with the body issues, and not being hungry issues. It's been a weird place mentally for me. I want to quit, but then the other side of me doesn't want to eat. I've tried gum, hard candies, lozenges etc etc. Nothing works because I am not ready to quit.

For me, the life riddled with co-morbidities and dying early due to obesity related conditions really pushed me to have surgery. Staying fat scared me more than surgery. I also want to have another child and refused to get pregnant at 270lbs so surgery was my last resort option.

Best luck in your research. I'm sure the other Canadians will chime in with information on coverage. I know a lot have had surgery in Mexico as an alternative to the long wait lists and limited VSG surgeons.

The part I can help you with is the smoking thing. I didn't quit before surgery, and have been a 1/2-3/4 pack smoker for 15 years now. I have quit 3 times since surgery, but always go back to it because I like to eat to replace the habit of smoking which is pretty standard. But, the issue with smoking after gastrectomies is increase chance for ulcers. I haven't had any issues thus far, but I know I'm at a higher risk because of my choice to continue smoking. Most surgeons want smokers to quit 4-6 weeks pre-op to help prevent anesthesia complications, and to avoid withdrawals post-op.

It's the hardest habit to break for me. I like smoking, I stress smoke, I like to smoke when I drive, chat on the phone, when I have my morning coffee. Those are all my triggers, and well I obviously can't stop driving, I won't give up my coffee, and I'm on the phone a lot. I've tried all the cessation methods, and they suck. The patch made me a little crazy, Wellbutrin (Zyban) makes me super insane, and did help with cravings, but the side effects really wrecked me. I became pretty manic, and I lost all my appetite, and dropped down to 119lbs which didn't help with the body issues, and not being hungry issues. It's been a weird place mentally for me. I want to quit, but then the other side of me doesn't want to eat. I've tried gum, hard candies, lozenges etc etc. Nothing works because I am not ready to quit.

For me, the life riddled with co-morbidities and dying early due to obesity related conditions really pushed me to have surgery. Staying fat scared me more than surgery. I also want to have another child and refused to get pregnant at 270lbs so surgery was my last resort option.

Best luck in your research. I'm sure the other Canadians will chime in with information on coverage. I know a lot have had surgery in Mexico as an alternative to the long wait lists and limited VSG surgeons.

Wow do I relate. It's not even funny...

I guess my main concern now is that I've never had general anesthetic and I don't want me being a smoker to cause any issues. I fear the unknown. My hubby has had surgery while he was a smoker but then again he isn't me either. Heck there's loads of people that smoke who have been put under and never had any issues.

Well, I definitly have a lot to think about as that's what this is right now... just thinking, just a thought. But it's something I can see myself getting done. I'm gonna try to quit when I feel ready to. I tried unsuccessfully to quit once before for the reason of having more money. But I did't "want" to quit, so it didn't work out.

Thanks for the information none the less. It's good to know what concerns there are for a sleever who smokes.