Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So confussed about protein suppliments~

Hi all,

I am trying to get the basics bought before my surgery. I have had so much advice on what Protein items to buy that I am now totally confussed! I don't want to waste money on a bunch of Protein shakes I won't like. I am thinking of buying the Protein Shots. Can anyone tell me what worked for them the first few weeks and why? I would appreciate it! ;)

The Protein shots are a bit of a controversy. They are not the best Protein source as it's mainly collagen protein with some whey, but some protein is better than none.

I would recommend buying sample packs. You can check out the protein forum on here for places to get samples. And, even if you like it pre-op, there is no guarantee you'll like it or be able to tolerate it post-op.

Also, if you buy anything from GNC and you don't like it or can't tolerate it, they will accept returns of opened partially used products.

I went through over 22 flavors, different brands and various types of protein whey, egg, and soy protein. All of them sucked with the exception of 2 that I liked, but I developed slight lactose intolerance post-op, and whey is a milk product so I'd end up puking up the protein.

I liked the GNC AMP Wheybolic Protein powders before surgery and now after I can Barely get one in :( I started using the Protein recipe list from here to make all sorts of Different drinks! I have also feel in love with having Carnation Instant Breakfast - No Sugar Added kind (in a blue box) with a cup and 1/2 of milk at the end of each day to get the last of my protein in! Also, any sort of smoothie that you like mix in unflavored protein powder!!

Good Luck!

I am with Tiff - go to GNC and try them out. I know, it may be uncomfortable to go in there with the buff 20-somethings but remember, in the end they probably are on commission and "need" you. I told them outright that I had surgery after one tried to talk e into some other supplement.

There is a huge variety of shakes, something for every taste bud.

As for the Wheybolic - it is still my favorite and I bought a huge bucket on Saturday during the Gold card sale (still ongoing I think). How are you making it? I noticed a huge difference between the blender and the shaker bottle. If I use the blender, it gets creamy like a milkshake and when I use the shaker bottle, it is more like chocolate milk consistency.

@Dawn, maybe are you using the blender? Maybe the thick consistency is bugging you post-surgery? Try to shake it up in a bottle maybe?

Either way...best shake for me :-)

Please Read: http://www.verticalsleevetalk.com/topic/11205-unjury-protein-powder/

There have also been days where I used the New Whey 42g Protein bullets + one unjury Drink.

I was extremely confused about the Protein as well but after much trial and error (and Protein powder in the trash) I settled on these and am completely satisfied.

Hopefully this helps!

I was just sleeved on Dec 1st and still working on the Protein. Currently I am mainly using the Carnation instant Breakfast (sugar free of course) with 8 oz of skim milk but I am adding 1/3 c of dry milk to increase the protein by an additional 8 grams. This can be disovled in both cold and warm liquids. Remember that to add the protein from the milk to the total package so with this each drink is approximately 21 grams of protein at 230 calories. Since I am still on a liquid diet I have found that sugar free anything made with sweetner or aspartme upsets my stomach at this time. I have found the liquid Isopure-Alpine Punch not bad to drink. I know others cannot stand that brand.

I love unjury chocolate. You can order samples from them. I am able to use the chocolate with skim milk even during the clear liquid stage. I asked my surgeon about this several times because everything else I read said clear had to be clear Protein. Funny how all surgeons are different. The strawberry sorbet which is clear is good also. I like to mix it with wylers lemonade mix.

The main thing I have found is to buy a drink blender cup. It is a plastic cup that has a blender ball in it. I drink it straight out of the cup so I do not smell the Protein.

I worried about this to pre-op. Haven't really had issues with protein. Vitamins on the other hand. Ugh

I like the unjury chocolate Protein powder, because in one shake, you can knock out your daily Protein requirement (40-50 grrams daily).

Here's my favorite recipie for a tasty shake:

Put in your blender in this order:

- a handful of mini ice cubes

- 1/4-Cup liquid Yogurt.... flavored, or plain (Trader Joe's Protein Shake in strawberry is nice)

- 1/4-Cup of Skim Milk Plus

- 1 Scoop Unury chocolate Powder

Blend on Liquify

Yummy...

I've tried 11 different Protein products and every single one of them tasted awful and gave me major diarrhea. I'm not sure if it's because of the massive quantities of Protein or because of the artificial sweeteners. I ordered the chicken Soup unjury last week, and I'm looking forward to trying that. A lot of people say that it tastes just lipton chicken noodle Soup broth. Hopefully without any funky sweeteners I'll be able to handle it. It should be here today or tomorrow...I'll let ya'll know what I think of it.

In the meantime I've been getting most of my protein from greek yogurt, little tiny egg white omelets with a bit of reduced fat cheese, and I've also just recently been able to tolerate a chili that I made myself with VERY FINELY minced ingredients. I throw a small dollop of greek yogurt on top of that as well. Obviously you won't be able to eat the chunky stuff in the beginning, but I'm only 5 weeks out and these things have been great for this phase.

It is all so very confusing, but you'll get the hang of it. Oh, and if you have a "Vitamin Shoppe" near you, they take returns on partially used items as well. Good Luck!

Hi Becca! I think its awesome that you want to prepare. I did the same thing. Found I shakes I really like and had them ready to go after surgery. I didn't realize that I would not be able to drink them until 3 months later. I had a terrible time getting any Fluid down and my taste buds were totally off, the shakes I liked were discusting after surgery. If I were you I would have a sample pack ready for afterwards, but don't beat yourself up if you're not able to drink any of them (hopefully you will), I'm just saying. I couldn't even get 1/2 a glass of Water in a day, it was that bad and Protein was the last thing on my mind lol. I wish someone would have pre-warned me about that. And again, not everyone goes through this, but some of us do. Hope this helps.

And the only reason I couldn't drink was because a sip felt like a golf ball going down and was super painful...I'm not trying to scare you. Some people never get this feeling, I've even read where they are shopping a day after surgery (especially the sleeves done in Mexico) or some people say they went to work 3 days after, go figure.

It should say couldn't drink...I'm at jury duty and using my blackberry lol sorry

It should say couldn't drink...I'm at jury duty and using my blackberry lol sorry

Thanks for the advice! I would rather be prepared then spend a bunch of money on Protein shakes I won't drink. I already did that once when I first had my lapband.

All the tips are great! Thanks everyone!

Tried the chicken Soup Unjury this evening. Ughhh. And can I say again...Ughhh! Kind of tastes like chicken soup broth, but with chemicals in it. It's super salty, too. It's going back and I'm going to request an exchange for the chocolate. Hopefully that'll taste better.

Honestly, anything flavored vanilla/chocolate was tolerable at first.......then I couldn't even swallow it. whey protein.....yuck. So, I went to soy...better...then I GOT SICK OF IT ALL. I went to GNC and bought Isopure grape and blue raspberry(the best)......not bad. I can say my favorite is the UNFLAVORED Unjury. You can mix it with pretty much anything. I just ordered 2 canisters of it yesterday. You can add it to Crystal Light or whatever. Way better than anything else. My MD's office even gave me Protein Jello that was just soooooo nasty. I've tried a lot so far and am glad I got the free sample before I wasted my money.