Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Former LapBand Patient Considering VSG

I am a former LapBand patient. I unfortunately had to have the LapBand removed in February of 2009 because of complications that my surgeon didn't catch early on. Because of the complications (the band slipped, causing an extra pouch above my stomach and severe scarring on my stomach), I cannot get another band put on. I recently heard of the VSG on TV and have been contemplating this surgery. When I had the band removed, I was told my only option was a gastric bypass, but I have not met one person that hasn't had to be re-hospitalized because of severe complications with the bypass - so that just isn't an option for me - scares me a little too much. So, I am wondering if this surgery would be a better fit. Through the different forums I have read throughout this web-site, it does seem like there are a lot of similarities in the side-effects with the 2 surgeries. So, I guess I am wondering if there is anyone out there that also had the LapBand removed and had this surgery done? Or, if anyone that has had this surgery done, can you tell me a little bit about your experience -- how the weight loss has gone, how much you are eating, etc. I have gained 85 of the 120 I lost and it really is depressing. Especially when I try my hardest to eat healthy and exercise. I really want to run with my kids again and have the energy back that I have lost with this weight gain.

Thanks so much for taking the time to read this and any information you could provide -- that would just wonderful!!! smile.gif

I had a band for almost 4 yrs and only lost weight for the first 6 months I had it. It was nothing but trouble and I hated not being able to eat salads, most fruits and other healthy things because they got stuck and wouldn't go down. My surgeon told me most of his band patients needed a 2nd surgery due to complications within 6 yrs of getting the band. I needed my gall bladder out, so I decided to get the VSG at the same time and remove the band.

Unlike the bypass, you will still be able to absorb all the nutrients from your food with the VSG. You will lose the majority of the hunger hormones your stomach produces with the part that is removed. Many VSG patients experience little to no hunger afterwards. I do still have hunger, but it's nothing like I had before. After the VSG, I lost the majority of my weight in the first 6 wks by being on the post-op diet (liquids, mushies, etc.). My surgery was last January, so at this point I can eat whatever I want, just much smaller quantities. I can eat more now also than I could the first few months. I still have to work hard to get my Protein in though, so I don't really eat bread anymore because it just expands in your stomach and doesn't leave room for the more nutritious foods.

The VSG is a tool just like the band. You still have to make smart choices when deciding what to eat. I'm "lucky" in that the removal of my gall bladder made me have an adverse reaction to fatty foods now. So no more bacon, ice cream, fried foods, etc. for me. But now that I don't eat them anymore, I don't miss it at all. I'm happy at being at my goal weight and feel better than I have in 25 yrs. I'll be 50 on my next birthday and feel like the weight loss has taken years off my looks and added years to my health. I'm off my meds for high cholesteral/triglycerides, C-PAP machine for sleep apnea, and antidepressants too. Now I just take my Vitamins and PPI and I'm good to go. I really feel like you won't regret getting the VSG. We're so lucky this is available to us now. Best wishes on your continued research. I'm sure you'll make the best decision for yourself and your kids.