Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Jobs...are you the human or the monkey?

When I had my psyche eval, my doctor told me that I was not crazy but that I think every one else is. :love: But I can't be the only one, right? There is a commercial on t.v. where this man is at work with a bunch of monkeys and he is the only human there, and he is looking for another job. (They also have one with a bunch of donkeys.)

This leads me to believe that I am not alone in my conceit.

Then my hubby came home late last night, because he had been put upon by another co-worker that lacks the ability to meet his deadlines. This made my hubby mad, because the way he sees it is that he does his job as well as the job of others and is not compensated for it (he is on salary). Then we did some comparisons, and it seems that our work ethic is the same, and we get put upon more than others because of our ability to do OUR job effectively.

We discussed the "doing things halfway" approach, which would not work for us (damn work ethic). Then we discussed the "quit our jobs and live on welfare" approach, but I like hot Water too much. We even thought about changing jobs, but think we will end up in the same situation somewhere else.

My theory is that everyone feels the same way. And, thought it would be interesting to "poll" my LBT friends on their work ethic and experiences to see. Also thought this would help in our "grass is always greener" attitude. Because it must be the same in every job.

Comments? Suggestions?

Yep, I think everyone feels that way.

"Everyone's wrong except me and thee

And sometimes I wonder 'bout thee."

I feel that way, but since the core of my job is to make my teammates better at theirs -- I'd expect to feel that way. :confused:

I agree with you in that I have a hard time finding people who have the same ethics, work or otherwise, as I do and I look at them all as if they have arms growing out of their noses. People who do not take responsibility in life make me insane. fine, be down on your self. whatever. but work is work and other's depend on you. same with being a parent. or a human being that leaves their house. LOL Makes me insane.

My husband and I work really hard. Not just for the betterment of our family, but because we take pride in the companies we work for and want to see them succeed. the better the company does, the better we do as employees. We are both excell at what we do, and are considered the best in skills by our superiors. I get to work from home, which is so nice, but it also means I can work all night if I need to. I get all the hard projects and the tough projects, because I am reliable and I always do my job possible. But that is also reflected in my pay. It does not go unnoticed. I do not understand people who do not try to excell in their jobs. Why just ride it out and go nowhere? Why not try to be the best you can be, and make something better of yourself?

Ok...done ranting. lol

I work for a church. Churches are always really tight with their budgets. This year, another worker and I both got our hours cut. We have both been there a long time (years) and have streamlined our jobs and do them very well and efficiently. Since our jobs no longer take all of our time, we have been in the habit of offering to help coworkers that are always overworked. So, when the church was looking for ways to trim their budget, guess what? Cut the hours of the workers that seem to have time on their hands.

Work - ah yes, what a screw job!

I worked my butt off for this printing company. I actually LOVED my job and the people I worked with and had contact with daily. I didn't get paid that much but my enjoyment of my job and the people kept me going. Because of my inside sales/jack of all trades position, I had to multi task and literally run around all day to get my work done.

Then the maternity leave came and I was thinking I was going back to my old job - with the same requirements and same amount of work. BUT NO they added a part time job to my full time job. The another position was to be done in the mornings in another part of the building and then my real job for the afternoons (by the way I'd like to know the butthead that suggested that I would be perfect for these combined jobs).

With this company, you can not say no to their proposals without some type of negative reaction and even sometimes they tend to push you out if you don't do what they require.

I tried to be as efficient as I could seeing that they were knocking my full time plus position sales job down to a 4 hour job and then I GOT SCOLDED FOR NOT DOING MY JOB IN A TIMELY MANOR.

They finally saw what they did (after 3 months) and brought me back to my position full time BUT then I became bored because I learned to do everything even faster.

The biggest thrill I got was when I quit. (I was there almost 10 years). They bout sh*t in their pants :omg: . I had 3 meetings with in the first 24 hours to try to get me to stay. And my answer each time was No, thankyou. It has been two years, they still call me at home to see if I am ready to come back and the business is down 50% since I left.

Sad to say my BOSSES never respected what I did until I left. Many times I was asked what I did during the day, and even had to keep a day to day schedule for over a month outlining everything I did - again, thinking they could squeeze more into my day. But after I left and they had to replace me with 2 1/2 people, I think I did too much for way to little.

This was my second adult job - first job was in printing for 9 years in another town and then this printing job for 10 years - same crap both places unfortunately. I loved what I did both times so I put up with poor treatment and bad pay and bad bosses-

I now work out of my house as a daycare provider and enjoy what I do especially enjoy the nice tan I have going this year. I get paid more now than I did my last position BUT have more bosses in my life. I can't complain though - I have great children and great families.

THANKS FOR LETTING ME RAMBLE ON AND ON AND ON.....:biggrin1:

Tracy

This is not technically my experience, it is DH's. As some of you on LBT know, he has been diagnosed with Mitral Valve Disease, and is awaiting open heart surgery to either repair or replace the valve. His superior has been taking credit for everything DH has done. DH has never said anything about it, because he does not want the responsibility of the higher position. He took this job to hold him over the next 5 years and is then retiring, with a retirement from another company as well. So anyway, he is now looking at an extended medical leave, and has been placed on light duty until his surgery. His boss is flipping out!!! The numbers have already fallen, work is not being accomplished. Hubby is friends with the "guys" in the shop, so they do anything he asks, knowing if they need help, he is there. He does not lord his position over them, he is one of them. Yet his boss gets the credit for everything being done. Now that DH is not doing it, the boss goes out and screeches orders, and has no idea how to run the place, and in only 2 weeks the place is chaos. He sees the writing on the wall, his bosses are going to know what is going on!!! This is a world wide HUGE company...and suddenly he has no place to hide. I can hardly keep from laughing when he calls because he doesn't know what to do or who to call. Wish my DH was as cruel as I want to be sometimes!!! Karma I suppose just jumped up & bit him in the a$$!!! Good luck to all of you---they do not call it work or a job for nothing!!!

Kat

You know, just another thought. No one ever thinks they are paid what they are worth, and no one ever is. Sadly, I went to a financial counselor for some advice and they can come up with a "value" of what your life is worth to help you plan for life insurance and stuff. Well, seems my hubby is worth somewhere around $770,000.00 and I am not even worth over $450,000.00 because of the jobs we have and the income we bring in.

I am a college educated public school teacher, and my hubby is a high school graduate that works in the telecom industry.

Well at least I am not totally worthless!

LOL - this is a funny thread. I'm just wondering if you're really expecting someone to log on and say "Yep, I'm the monkey. I suck at my job, I'm overpaid and underqualified, my subordinates hate me, and some day my boss is going to wise up and fire my ass!" ?

LOL

From my experience when I worked outside my home, NO ONE thinks that they're the slacker.

LOL - this is a funny thread. I'm just wondering if you're really expecting someone to log on and say "Yep, I'm the monkey. I suck at my job, I'm overpaid and underqualified, my subordinates hate me, and some day my boss is going to wise up and fire my ass!" ?

LOL

From my experience when I worked outside my home, NO ONE thinks that they're the slacker.

Here, here Donna. I was wondering if someone would pick up on that as I was reading through the responses. I mean really, who was gonna admit that they're the one who doesn't carry their fair share? Of course we're all star pupils, prize employees and hard workers with work ethics to be enviable by all employers. lol

Well, proves my point then. Everyone thinks they are human... even if they are a monkey or a donkey.

Well, proves my point then. Everyone thinks they are human... even if they are a monkey or an ass.

I have a big ass. Does that count? :cool:

Well, I think it is better to have a big ass, than to be a big ass. :love:

Honestly, I meant to put donkey (like above). I will go edit it.

Monkeys???

Let me paint you a picture of what I have to deal with.

I actually have an employee that not only does ape impressions in the office, but received a head injury while doing his ape impression. He was hit in the head by his own ceiling fan.

That... is my world.