Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Beware of popsicles!

So I've been eating lots of popsicles lately -- they felt like "free" post-op food that was really easy to get down, and a nice "treat" when I wanted something sweet and not necessarily "sensible."

Problem is that the brand we'd switched to was 80 calories per popsicle, and I'd eaten as many as 4-5 in a day! I did the math and realized that that could be 1/2 or more of my day's allotted calories. I think I got in the habit with the other brand -- which was sugar-free, and had about 5 calories per popsicle.

So I guess it's common sense, but still -- check the calories on the things you're eating. Things you think might be "free" may not be so free after all...

My weight is still dropping, but I've been in a stall lately. I'm going to see if cutting out the popsicles or switching back to the sugar-free brand will help!

Yes, those can be very misleading - looks the same, tastes the same - not the same calories.

Same goes for me and weighing things vs. dry measuring. I had one Protein powder where the scoop was about 20% more than advertised. The worst for me was PB2, it says 2 tablespoons and the weight in gram behind it. Unfortunately, once I compared weight to volume, I noticed it was off by 50%, ie. 1 measured tablespoon (and NOT heaping) was equal to the weight on the container. I had been scooping out 2 tablespoons and basically served myself double portions. That was pre-WLS, so calories counted more than now.

If in doubt, weigh it out!

I have stayed away from popcicles. My NUT said that they only increase hungry and provide no nutritional value. I don't need anything else to make me even more hungry! But this is a good thing to watch out for!

That is good that you checked things out. The way something is 'advertised' on the box can be very tricky when it comes to the actual nutritional label. Even stuff we don't necessarily think about unless you are in the habit of measuring (like Cereal, who actually <pre WLS> eats 1/2 cup of cereal...yet that is what the nutritional label of some Cereal is based on!)

I went and bought a bunch of sugar-free popsicles pre-surgery, and in the last 5+ weeks since surgery I've eaten about 4. lol. Go figure. Ice cream was always my kryptonite, and popsicles just don't fit the bill. :lol:

That is good that you checked things out. The way something is 'advertised' on the box can be very tricky when it comes to the actual nutritional label. Even stuff we don't necessarily think about unless you are in the habit of measuring (like cereal, who actually <pre WLS> eats 1/2 cup of cereal...yet that is what the nutritional label of some cereal is based on!)

LOL - reminds me of the pumpkin pie I bought for my husband. Serving Size: 1/10 of the pie. Now tell me, who cuts a pie into 10 pieces? NO ONE!!!

This was just so they could sneak it in at under 300 calories because 1/10th of a pie was 280. If they had used the regular 1/8th of a pie, it would have clocked in at a whopping 350 calories for a small piece of pie. I bet a lot of people don't even consider the off-kilter serving size and think they get 280 calories when they eat a piece....