Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Could use some ideas

Hello, I am new to the group, it is nice to see a group going through some of the same things I am. I was sleeved on Nov 22, 2010 and gosh have I felt horrible. I couldn't keep pains meds down crushed or liquid so I have been so uncomfortable. Anyway I have been better the past three days I started on some mash potatoes and peaches things like that. Are there any other food ideas you guys have? Also I have this stretching pain that is right next to my belly button I am assuming it is my stomach but is it normal? It's not a sharp pain but it is very uncomfortable just thought I someone would know something on it. Thank you guys so much!!

Hello, I am new to the group, it is nice to see a group going through some of the same things I am. I was sleeved on Nov 22, 2010 and gosh have I felt horrible. I couldn't keep pains meds down crushed or liquid so I have been so uncomfortable. Anyway I have been better the past three days I started on some mash potatoes and peaches things like that. Are there any other food ideas you guys have? Also I have this stretching pain that is right next to my belly button I am assuming it is my stomach but is it normal? It's not a sharp pain but it is very uncomfortable just thought I someone would know something on it. Thank you guys so much!!

I was also sleeved on the 22nd and I am still on liquid only. Mostly I sip on Protein drinks all day with a break of a 1/2 c of broth, or a frozen juice bar.

Do a search on the Internet for vsg post surgery diet, and take it easy on your new tummy.

If you don't have a heating pad, get one and try it! I loved my heating pad and used it during the day. I swear it helped more than paid meds! I only used the medication at night!! I was only allowed liquids for two weeks. It seems awfully early for you to have the foods you've mentioned. I think I may have 'jumped the gun' as well, my doctor said it "must go through a straw" so I BLENDED a wonderful soup! I baked a potato, steamed some broccli - added some milk, the consistancy must be thin (a straw, remember??!) - I also added a little 2% cheese for Protein and a dab of Greek yogurt as well. (Plain) It was great, I could only eat about 2 TB at a time....tiny, tiny nibbles, and I was STUFFED, but it was good. I did not do this until week two. Week on, I just sipped on broth and ate sugar free Jello with sugar free Cool Whip...and very little of this. I could only get in a few sips at a time, but it counted as liquid. I was determined NOT to get dehydrated and I never did!!! Good luck...and seriously, find a heating pad if you don't have one already!!! I had a terrible time with the incision IN my belly button healing up, it finally did, it was not a big deal, it was really the "worst" thing with my surgery, mostly just irritating....but it would hurt when I turned over at night and the staple came out by itself. It just gave me fits! :)

I was told not to eat foods with carbs at first. The first two weeks I was on liquids, sugar free Jello, broth, liquid protien, and sf popsicles.

The third week I started eating pureed meat and vegetables, greek yogurt, cottage cheese. Remember the amount was 2-3 tablespoons at a time. It was important to keep liquids going in 45-64 ozs. a day.

Now that I am out of surgery just about 7 weeks I can eat most things. I have to chew everything to a pureed state but can eat. My capacity has gotten to 1/2+ cups of food.

When I am full I have to stop or the next bite makes me very uncomfortable for 20 mins.

Hope this helps.

Mary:rolleyes:

[quote name=narredondo' timestamp='1290987

670' post='95400]

Thank you I guess every doctor is different. I stayed on liquids and I still am if I eat any peaches they are very soft I could sip them through a straw. Now I am not even taking full spoons full I bought baby spoons and use those. OMG the heating pad worked so much but now it makes my incisions itch and the pain for the most part is gone, I am just sore. I don't have staples I have that glue that is thrown over the cuts but the heating pad worked a lot. I will call the nutritionist tomorrow just to make sure I am following their rules. I feel good now compared to when I first got home Tuesday night through Thanksgiving were my worst.

Thank you I guess every doctor is different. I stayed on liquids and I still am if I eat any peaches they are very soft I could sip them through a straw. Now I am not even taking full spoons full I bought baby spoons and use those. OMG the heating pad worked so much but now it makes my incisions itch and the pain for the most part is gone, I am just sore. I don't have staples I have that glue that is thrown over the cuts but the heating pad worked a lot. I will call the nutritionist tomorrow just to make sure I am following their rules. I feel good now compared to when I first got home Tuesday night through Thanksgiving were my worst.

For that itchy feeling, I put AD ointment over the incisions ( I have the glue too), just a little bit after patting everything dry after a shower. It helps a bit, even though the AD ointment smells funny.

Here is the Cornell University guide for VSG diet.

http://www.sleeveguide.com/uploads/1/7/9/4/1794785/dietary_guidelines_sleeve_gastrectomy.pdf

Hi There,

I was sleeved on Nov 26, 2010. I too struggled not with pain but trying to keep my antibiotics down. While I was in hospital and then the care house I had an IV and didn't have any worries. As soon as I took my first pill when I got home I was blown away with nausea. After 2 days I knew it was a greater risk not to take my meds so I tried eating a cracker. I completely submerged it in my broth and chewed the heck out of it. It dissolved very easily in the broth. I ate one full cracker and when I took my medication I did not get sick. This was day 5 after my surgery. I know it violated my preset eating schedule but made a world of difference. I have also had mashed potatoes 3 times and have felt perfectly fine after. I ate about 1 1/2 tablespoons. It was the best tasting food I have ever eaten, lol. I know I am not the perfect patient but it has made a world of difference to me.

Before I ventured I found the Cornell Weightloss Program Dietary Guidelines and it allowed mashed potatoes and applesauce after day four. I am not advocating cheating but it does seem like every doctor has his own rules and I wanted to share my experience.

I am glad you are feeling better!