Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

how did you choose Sleeve over Bypass?

Hi,

I have been doing my pre-cert work to get the sleeve next month. After going to the class that was over all types of surgeries, I am starting to think maybe I should go with Bypass..but for some reason it scares me more.

So what made you choose the sleeve over bypass?

maybe I should mention that I have a failed lapband in me now.... my band tilted and never worked right... long story....

I need help deciding.

Thanks!

Kindra

Hey Kindra, and welcome to VST. Making this type of decision is extremely personal, and I can only tell you what led me to make the best decision of my life by choosing VSG for my revision from the band.

1) The pouch with the band sucks, and the RNY gives the same pouch.

2) Malabsorption of calories/fat only lasts 2 years, but you get a lifetime of vitamin/nutrient malabsorption with RNY, doesn't seem like a fair trade off.

3) The regain stats and long term complications that I have witnessed with real life friends (plus the information on internet forums, and long term data presented) was downright scary. I can give you the detailed list of complications, but the main ones are major Vitamin deficiencies, pouch or stoma dilation, bowel obstructions and intestinal strictures.

4) The number of patients seeking revisions 3-7 years out from RNY to either DS or ERNY really scared me. This was going to be my 2nd and FINAL WLS.

5) I loved the fact that I would keep my pyloric valve, with RNY you lose it.

6) I have a normal, fully functioning stomach, just smaller than what God gave me, no rerouting, no pouch

7) No blind stomach left behind that can still develop ulcers or cancers, yet can be very difficult to diagnose and scope

8) The rate of loss for VSG is neck and neck vs. RNY without all the long term complications

9) No food or medication restrictions. I can take NSAIDS and I don't dump on sugar like 30% of RNY patients experience. Plus, this whole idea of needing to be sick, fatigued, have massive diarrhea and gas pains after eating a cookie seems a little ridiculous. Sorry, but I want to live as normal as a life as possible, and naturally thin people enjoy a cookie or a piece of pie here and there.

Those are my top reasons. Honestly, if VSG would have not been an option for me to revise from the band, I would have had my band removed and stayed fat. I know this sounds harsh, but you couldn't pay me to have RNY. I know it's a fabulous surgery for some, but for me, my lifestyle and my personality, I knew the VSG was the very best option. I would have DS before having RNY, and you couldn't pay me a million bucks to have DS, but if it came down to it, I'd pick DS over RNY.

Best wishes in your research, if you have questions, please feel free to ask.

thank you!

You and I sound similar...I am right at about 260 right now.. worrying about insurance approval though, because I haven't lost weight during my 3 months..

Anyway.. thanks for the info. The main thing that made me start rethinking was when she said the sleeve isn't great for sweets eaters...well, sweets are my main enemy! So I started thinking maybe I need dumping syndrome. lol But.... all the things you listed were the reasons I originally wanted the sleeve.

What is ERNY? Haven't heard of that one.

I see you hit your goal in 6.5 months! That is awsome!!!

thank you!

You and I sound similar...I am right at about 260 right now.. worrying about insurance approval though, because I haven't lost weight during my 3 months..

Anyway.. thanks for the info. The main thing that made me start rethinking was when she said the sleeve isn't great for sweets eaters...well, sweets are my main enemy! So I started thinking maybe I need dumping syndrome. lol But.... all the things you listed were the reasons I originally wanted the sleeve.

What is ERNY? Haven't heard of that one.

I see you hit your goal in 6.5 months! That is awsome!!!

ERNY (extended RNY)is where they go in and remove more or bypass more intestine so the body starts malabsorbing again.

Remember only 30% of RNY patients dump on sugar, and even though you might initially, your body can adapt and stop dumping so you've got to really consider if your willing to change your eating habits to make those positive changes in your food choices. Any of the surgeries can be cheated.

Thanks for the sweet comments. I lost 115lbs in 6.5 months to get me to goal, and then lost about 23-25lbs over the next 4 months to get below goal but still in a healthy weight range for my height.

ERNY...interesting.... and kinda scary! lol

One question my mom brought up, and I haven't gotten to ask the Dr yet.... after you have a VSG...what if you get something like stomach cancer? Then there is barely any stomach to work with? I hadn't really worried about that before....

I am really excited to get this. I think I will stick with VSG. It's what I planned on all along. I heard about it a week after I got my lapband and wished way back then I'd have known about it!! I hope I can lose weight quickly too... do you do alot of exercising?

I didn't want my intestines "messed" with plus the re-gain among RNY patients seems to be fairly high after several years. I am certain that with 85% of my stomach removed and my life style changes, I am going to be successful long term. I too like sweets, but I didn't touch anything during the five months I was losing....the past few weeks I have allowed myself a little here and there. Just a few bites when I do. (google the three bite rule) :) I'll share pumpkin bread (a good choice at Star Bucks - one of the FEW) with my husband. I'll take less than one fourth and it's more than enough to satisfy me. I do not crave sweets like I use to.

I think it is Tiffykins that says NOTHING tastes as good as thin feels! I am wearing a size 8 jeans and they are not even close to tight!! I am in maintenence and just getting a feel for this. I love my sleeve!!! It's the best decision I've ever made for ME!!!

ERNY...interesting.... and kinda scary! lol

One question my mom brought up, and I haven't gotten to ask the Dr yet.... after you have a VSG...what if you get something like stomach cancer? Then there is barely any stomach to work with? I hadn't really worried about that before....

I am really excited to get this. I think I will stick with VSG. It's what I planned on all along. I heard about it a week after I got my lapband and wished way back then I'd have known about it!! I hope I can lose weight quickly too... do you do alot of exercising?

I bought a weighted ball and I have a band that I have thrown over a door and work on my arms! I do both almost daily here at the house. We have a stationary bike that I will ride every so often, but I am NOT an exercise NUT case!! I did NOT get to goal by exercising; I made life style changes with food and added a LITTLE exercise. I did not want to all of a sudden start exercising after surgery and that be a big part of why I lost weight. I KNOW ME....I have the attention span of a five year old....I'd lose interest in eight months or less then quit or back off slowly but surely. I wanted to do stuff I enjoy and knew would be something I would stick with. I like focusing on my arms a lot, the weighted ball IS a workout really. It's something I learned at a a class I attended one time, the band too...so when I ran across a five lb ball at Wal Mart after surgery, I picked it up. I didn't want to exercise, lose weight, lose interest, quit and then have a problem regaining. If I were to regain, it would be because I fell into bad EATING habits, not because I quit exercising!! :D I hit goal in just under five months.....this is what worked for me!

I don't know about your mom's question....Tiff will know though!

I stuck with what the doctor said to do....get in your Protein, don't sabatage yourself, watch what you consider liquids....(sugars!!!) limit juices, get in Water and enjoy the journey - you will do great!!!