Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

1 week post op- a few questions...

Ok, so my surgery was Nov. 17th. All is going well, I think. I just have some questions and I don't want to bother my doctor when you all have been through this!

1. Did anyone else get stitches in their muscles on top of their ribs? Everytime I stand up it feels like a charlie horse in both sides of my ribs- sucks a$$!

2. I sip, sip, sip Water. Trying to get in all the fluids and the Protein. I had my first pureed meal last night (chicken noodle Soup with extra unflavored protein) and a wedge of laughing cow cheese (which I crave). 6oz of soup and I felt AWFUL! So full. I am going to try 5oz today.. should I be trying less? I can drink 6 oz of water in about 30 min so I thought that much soup wouldn't be a big deal- it was like gravy constency so very thin.

3. My checks keep getting flushed. Not like a blush- more like standing in front of a fire. I don't have a fever, just for some reason my cheeks are going crazy!

4. When I walk around, because of my ribs hurting and my back hurting from trying not to twist my ribs- I can hardly breathe and end up losing my voice. It's so weird! I can talk just fine, regular voice and then do two laps around my kitchen and I sound like I have strep throat! Then I sit back down for about an hour and my voice comes back.

Any one else have any of these things happen to them? All in all I feel so much better then I did a week ago and luckily I was able to take two weeks off from work so hopefully by next week I will be fine but it just seems odd and no one else seems to be having these issues. I am so FEARFUL of a leak or honestly of anything that might require more surgery! Love this website and love all the helpful people! I am thankful for all of you!!!

6 oz of Soup may be way too much, In the beginning, I could onlly manage 2-3 oz at a time. Then if you're hungry later, you can have some more. Are you blending the noodles? I was not allowed anything with chunks in it for 30 days. All soup had to be blended until it was pure liquid.

Wow, my surgery was the same day as yours and I have to have pure liquids for another week and the puree for two weeks until I can eat solid foods. It sounds like you definitely ate too much, I don't think my stomach could handle the cheese quite yet.

Regarding feeling tired.... Yes, I feel the same way. My doctor told me before surgery that I could go back to work a few days after the surgery. NOTTTTT!!!!!! There was now way. Right now I can get up for a little bit and I am exhausted and I am getting hot flashes like I am sweating and heat goes to my face when I get up and start doing things. Yesterday was a pretty good day for me. I was able to go to Walmart and walk around and get some groceries and I went out for a car ride earlier that day. Today, my husband and kids are cleaning the house. I get up and try to help and a few minutes later, I have to sit back down and rest. I have to go back to work next week and if I feel like I do now, I don't know how I am going to do it, seriously.

Anyone have any advice on how to get our energy back or when it should come back? Is this normal?

I did blend everything up, completey smooth! Today I had about 3 oz of cottage cheese and it took me over 30 minutes to actually eat it all. I will slow down on the amount of Soup, I just thought because it was a liquid it would be the same as drinking Water. I was WRONG! Today was a better day- cheeks are still very red and my voice is still on and off but I had a little more energy today then yesterday. I keep reminding myself that it was major surgery and I am not as young as I used to be!

My husband keeps telling me not to compare myself to others and their progress but it is so hard!

I saw the recipe on here for refried beans.. if I thin them out can I eat them as a pureed food? It is so hard! My doc pretty much told me that I can eat anything that I can blend up like applesauce. The consitency is the important thing. My diet says I can have mashed potatoes and potatoe soup now and to enjoy it because those things shouldn't be on the menu later but I don't know. I paid over 15,000 for this surgery! Cream soup doesn't have lots of Protein (which I can add- Thank goodness for Unjury!!!) but has fat and carbs. What the heck are we supposed to be eating? Has anyone seen a sample menu for those of us on pureed food?

Your post makes me laugh because i went through that 2 days ago. I was sleeved 1 day before you. I was able to sip Clear Liquids really quickly. As soon as it thickened, i had to slow down. And so 6 oounces is WAY too much. You might be able to do it in two or three bouts; like 3, 2, 1 ounces. But youll feel lousy afterwards

I still have those same side stiches when i get up, but each day is better. It seems like recover occurs at night.

I suffer from a super sore throat with all these purees. Not sure why. But scratchy. Today i was bored with food. Had to run errands and didnt eat until about 4pm. And then eating was a chore becuase i was ...i dont know how to explain it because it wasnt old hungry but instead....empty? Then i wanted to eat more quickly than i can, and that sucked too. I know i should eat and drink, but im not feeling it.

Sorry for the sloppy typng, im on a mobile device.

First advice is to check with your doctor's office about protein/carbs/calories during the puree / mushy stage; that said though, the objective IMO is to very gently re-introduce food to your new tummy, which has suffered a major injury. And you're in this phase for such a short period and eating so little, that the foods won't affect your weight loss success. Once you move to regular foods, then start paying attention to carbs, calories, Protein, Water, and so forth. Right now just get that new sleeve used to accepting different types of mushy and pureed foods.