Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

anyone from indiana?

Hello Everyone:

I'm from Merrillville, Indiana. If anyone out there has not yet committed to a hospital, and if you are thinking of Broadway Methodist, please contact me at cmacinga@dcgary.org and I want to share some information with you. If you have had your surgery at St. Margaret Mercy Hospital in Dyer, Indiana, definitely contact me. That's where I had mine on May 30. I am with the doctor who brought the lap-band surgery to Chicago and Northwest Indiana. If you want the very best care, and you are from my area, let's talk. I started out at 240 and am now at 210. I have lots to share of a very exceptionally perfect experience, no pain, none of the horror stories that one might read of those unfortunate to have encountered complications.

If anyone is also on the 6 weeks full liquids post-op, please let me know what your basic daily diet consists of. I know the cream Soups are full of calories, so I'm on the Protein Shake, sugar free: pudding, Jello, yogart and apple sauce.

Good luck to anyone out there who has not yet had surgery. It's the best decision you will make to save your life!:clap2:

Carol

I am with the doctor who brought the lap-band surgery to Chicago and Northwest Indiana.

Actually Dr. Santiago Horgan was the first in the Chicagoland area doing the band. He was one of the major FDA test centers. ~Mandy

Actually Dr. Santiago Horgan was the first in the Chicagoland area doing the band. He was one of the major FDA test centers. ~Mandy

I'll have to look into that. I know Gerald Cahill was the first with gastric-bypass followed by the lapband. Regardless, he was the best choice for me and I am very pleased with everything from day one.

hoosierpoms and mbdavis24 - how are you guys doing? You are about 3 weeks out now. Are you on Mushies? How are you feeling? Please fill us in!

I just had apt 4 with the WLS doctor, so I can call the hospital tomorrow and get the ball rolling.

Kimmie - how goes it??

I was just wondering if there are any Hoosiers out there... Or anyone for that matter. I feel invisible on here!!!!!!! ;)

Hi Indiana Lap-Banders:

I am from Northwest Indiana.

I was banded on May 30, 2007

I am almost 3 weeks post-op now.

I have lost 30 pounds from pre-op through present time.

The weight loss has slowed drastically now,

as it ususally is. Moved into the pureed stage

last Friday. I'm tired of eating creamed Soups.< /p>

That's probably why the weight loss has stopped.

Too many calories.:hungry:

How are the rest of you doing?

any questions?

Am curious where everyone in Indiana,

especially those in Northwest Indiana

where you chose to have your surgery done at.

Carol

weight.png

Hi Carol!

I'm Tricia from Portage!

Congrats on your surgery. Hang with it for a little while longer, soon you will be able to eat a good variety of foods. That creamy stage was frustrating for me because I wanted to chew something to feel like I was actually eating!

I was self pay so I chose to have my surgery in Mexico. It will be a year on June 26. So far so good, no complications what so ever!

I tried getting the doctors up here (Merrillville area) to do my aftercare but none would touch a patient operated on in Mexico. That's ok, I go to Dr. C in Cincinnati and I think he and his staff are wonderful. It is also a good excuse for me and my DH to get away for a day or so together!

Good luck to you and all of my fellow Hoosiers just beginning! What an exciting time on your journey. I hope all of you love your band as I do mine. It was the best decision I have ever made for my health.

Hi Carol!

I'm Tricia from Portage!

Congrats on your surgery. Hang with it for a little while longer, soon you will be able to eat a good variety of foods. That creamy stage was frustrating for me because I wanted to chew something to feel like I was actually eating!

I was self pay so I chose to have my surgery in Mexico. QUOTE]

Tricia:

My long lost lap-band friend from Portage! You're the first person I've heard from who had the surgery who is from this area! That's why you are a "long lost friend!"

Okay, so help me. I'm 3 weeks post-op today. I started at 240, got to 227 before surgery on Protein Shakes, and am currently 210. I can't push past that 210 for the life of me. First potential fill will be July 11. What do I do to push past this 210? Is this suspose to happen? My doctor told me he wants me another 15-20 pounds gone by July 11. I don't think that is going to happen! What can I do to make it happen? I can't figure out what to eat low in calories during this pureed stage. I'm drinking the Protein shakes, eating the jell-o, pudding (sugar free) popcicles/fudgicles (sugar free) and cream of potato and cream of chicken Soup. I swear the creamed stuff is preventing me from losing weight.

Please advise what to do and when you think the weight will start to fall back off. :faint:

Carol

cmacinga@dcgary.org

Hello everyone...

I am going this week for my first fill and am ready!!! The start of last week I thought I would eat anything in site....but I started back exercsing and it has gotten better towards the latter part. One thing I find interesting is how much food they give you at resturants. Man...... we ate at Garfields friday, and I ended up bringing home half of what they brought me...I knew I couldnt and shouldnt eat the whole plate..before I would of licked my plate...LOL

Hope everyone else is doing well.....

You guys should look into joining the July exercise challenge from the May list....

still nothing on my end...still waiting to hear back from insurance. 3 months of visits to my MD and a letter were faxed over to them today...we'll see if they accept that!

sorry i've not been around...just depressed cuz everyone around me is getting the surgery....and then there's me. waiting...still...6 months later :eek:

Kim

Dont give up.....I went for my first fill today.....it will happen for you I hope....It is given me a different outlook on life....keep us posted

Hi Carol!

I'm back. Sorry it took so long to reply. I was on vacation and then came back with computer issues! You should be at 5 weeks out now. I hope the mushie stage is over for you. Does your doctor let you exercise yet? As much as I don't want to, I find that moving around more helped get past the stubborn weight stoppages!

It sounds like you were eating what I did at that stage. I never thought I would get tired of Jello and pudding (Fat free, of course) but I did.

My husband made me pumpkin pie (without the crust, less sugar, and with FF evaporated milk) and that helped alot. It was filling and I love pumpkin pie! oatmeal was another filling mushie for me. I was just surprised at the amount that I could still eat at 4 weeks out. I was always hungry. I think not being able to physically eat bread and meat (too painful) made me mentally hungry. I got a fill at 6-7 weeks and that helped alot and that is when my weight started to really drop.

I'm excited to see your journey, keep me posted!

Hey, Indiana-ians!

I had my surgery back in December! With Dr. Trace Curry -- otherwise known on LBT as Dr. C

Incredible, if not the best doctor I could possibly have imagined! I've been doing this a few months now... so I thought I would let you all know if you want to PM me with questions. Go right ahead. I dont get on this board much. So, i thought I'd let you know that I am out and about in LBT land.

I am from SE Indiana by the way. Dearborn County.

Good luck to all!

Hi. I live in southern Michigan and have chosen Dr. Steven Clark even though he's 3+ hours away! Anyone have surgery with him???? I'm hoping to be banded in Aug.

Hi, I am from West Central Indiana. I live in a small town. I found Dr. McEwen through the Internet. I really liked him and his office helpers. They are all very professional and friendly. I will get my band on Aug. 8th and can't wait. I also am paying for this out of my pocket. My insurance company does not fill that I am worth it I guess. But my husband does. I start my pre-op diet tomorrow. So to all of you waiting I know how you feel. Whenever I saw that gastric bypass surgery commercial on TV when the lady says that you are my favorite doctor in the whole world, I wanted to cry. I wanted to feel like that too. With this site I feel I got alot of new found friends and supporters out there that really do care. Good luck to all and may we all be bless with what we want.;)