Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

help.gifI was wondering as you are going down in sizes what ways did you use to save money, I am concerned I will have to fill my closet up with very size and not stay in them long enough to be worth it, how did you manage the changes in size and when do you start shopping is it when you stall? ranger.gifThanks, just getting ready for what's coming.

I have been buying lee jeans from khols they are only $22 dollars when I have a 30% coupon and Walmart has some that are Lee Riders that are only $15-18 bucks. I think Old Navy also has some inexpensive jeans. I would just buy one or two at a time. I bought three of size 12 a few months back and two weeks later had to get 10s so I got one pair and I actually put the 12's in the dryer (which I never do) and turned em on high to shrink up a bit just to wear them. Now the 10's are getting loose and I had to take back a new pair to get an 8 but of course they were out of the 8's so I will try again next week!

I also can get inexpensive glitter t's (I am addicted to them) at Target and stuff. I love H&M for affordable office appropriate items. You could try Ross and Marshalls for some other things to get you through especially if you need work attire. Though this time of year those places are a wreck once Thanksgiving hits.

Ohhh also I was in costco the other day and they had dress pants by Liz Claiborne for like 18 bucks. If I was working still I would have grabbed a grey and black to get through till the next size.

Edited by mp8btpc

I hit consignment shops and thrift stores. I didn't buy a lot of clothes in any particular size, and wouldn't recommend loading up when you're in a stall. You could easily skip sizes. I skipped several sizes while going down.

Just buy wardrobe staples if you need work clothes, and don't buy brand new if you can avoid it. Clearance racks at Old Navy were major lifesavers for me.

Stretchy clothes, belts, and dresses/skirts (esp. skirts with elastic waists!) are great. Thrift stores are great for jeans and the like.

That is a great question and suggestions. I have to wear suits to work, so I will be hitting up consignment shops until I hit goal. I am already floating in my clothes.

My four favorite places have been Old Navy, Ross, Sam's Club, and costco. I have been able to get almost every thing I need from them. I stick to the sale rack at Old Navy and have found I really need to try things on there as their sizing is not consistent. I have found several cute jackets at thrift stores. I have gotten in to the habit of buying only staples that I can mix and match. I need dress pants for work so I buy black, brown, navy, and khaki. Also... I have found the things with elastic waist bands seem to fit for longer... so I have bought several skirts that have fit me for several sizes.

Good luck!

Av

It's all about Old Navy online plus size sales, you can get pants for 7 bucks, shirts for 5, and their clothing is generously proportioned.

Shirts haven't been much of an issue for me (although they're starting to be), mainly 'cause you can wear big, roomy shirts and not look too goofy most of the time. I have bought some new short- and long-sleeved t-shirts though for $3-5 bucks at Walmart.< /span>

Pants though... yeesh. Salvation Army and Goodwill have become my go-to places! I did buy one new pair of pants fairly early out, and they were big and baggy so fast that I really kinda regretted spending the money on them. Much better to spend $3 and not worry about un-growing them! Also, don't hesitate to pick up a couple of things that are a little too tight... you'll be in them too before you know it, and shortly after that they'll go to your "too big" box (or wherever you throw the stuff you'll never wear again).

It's kind of a pain in the butt to sort through the racks in those places, 'cause (at least at the two or three I hit) they arrange things by color but NOT by size, but it's so worth it! And it's so fun when you find something that you love, that's practically brand-new and fits, with a number on the tag you just can't believe. Look forward to it, and have fun with it! :D

I love Ross! Great prices!

Okay, I have a ton of sizes in my own closet! Ever since I started dieting in my 20's I've been a yo-yo dieter. So I have plenty saved over the years in different sizes. Once I hit size 14 though, it will be time to shop since I hardly have any left in that size. I plan on doing all the cheatp stores and thrift stores too!

I checked the Thrift Stores frequently.They get shipments in every day. They may not have anything one day, but if you check back every few days, you'll get some cute stuff and like new, for really cheap,.

I also shopped all the clearance sales and got things for next to nothing. Some stores do 75% off.

I have a closet full of different sizes. My mom has the band... and she's given me the stuff she cant use anymore.

I also hope to do a clothing drive with others @ my hospital

If it doesn't bother you all that much I highly suggest second hand shopping centers. It's likely you will need a good part of your day to sort through this stuff to find things you like, however it's worth it when you find a brand new pair of pants for less than ten bucks. They still have the store tags on them too!

Also, Kohl's is amazing if you sign up for them to send you emails or mail with coupons. You can buy their clothes for dirt cheap and they are really cute!

Then there are the outlet style shopping stores. I personally LOVE The Rack. Oh yeah... I do!! I don't really go to Marshall's or TJ Maxx or any of those, but I've heard lots like to go there.

Also, It's best to own a belt. It will get you through an extra size or two than if you went without one. I'm still able to wear some of my 22's with a belt (otherwise they fall off!!! :lol: ) even though I'm now in a 16/18.

There is also a clothing exchange on this website: http://www.verticalsleevetalk.com/forum/80-the-clothing-exchange/

Good luck!!

YES, a belt is a definite must.... make it a $7 cheapie from Walmart 'cause you'll be buying another one in a smaller size in a few months.

What's also helped me tremendously are those button adjuster thingies -- always want to call it Magic Button but that's not right -- anyway in the commercial they show them being used to make your pants bigger. I use them to make my pant waists SMALLER and they work great! They come in a set of 5-6 I think... silver, brown, black, tan, can't remember what else, for $7-8.00.

In most area, there is a yahoo group called freecycle. I have passed on clothes to other in needs and have received clothes. Sometimes you don't know what is in the bag but sometimes you have exceptional finds.