Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Went to my first 'real' support group last night

Sign in to follow this  

So my drs. office has TONS of support groups, classes, phone-chat, etc. It is one of the reasons that I picked him. However, right before I was having surgery, I was told that all the support groups were undergoing a radical overhaul, and to 'stay tuned'. So in one of my post-nutrition classes I met a lady. She and I were the only two in the classes so we got chatty and friendly and exchanged email addys. She had the RNY procedure a few days before I had the VSG. I got an email from her yesterday saying "there is a support group tonight, let's go!" And even though I couldn't find it on my calendar from the surgeon's office, I decided 'what the heck' and went.

I got there, sat down and then realized....this support group is for lap band people. Whoopsie! But the group was facilitated by my NUT and I do really like her and they didn't ask us to leave or anything. So there was probably 10 people total there and my friend and I were the only non-lap banders. So this is how the breakdown of the room went:

* 2 people - Super-happy with the band (and less than 4 months out...one lady had lost 40lbs in 4 months...not too shabby)

* 2 people - Completely unfilled due to issues (one lady was headed to the ER after class she was in SO MUCH PAIN...I really worried about her...poor thing she was over 1 year out)

* 1 person - Happy with her loss, but unhappy because she could never eat for 10 days after a fill, she was banded in June and spends more than a week after a fill being sick and having to survive on liquids)

* 1 person - Didn't say much, but was very obese (not sure when banded) and said she was struggling but didn't elaborate.

* 1 person - Was pre-surgery and trying to get a feel for things during post-op life, etc.

* 1 person - Struggling with 'getting back on track' just having issues in general.

And then there was me (VSG) and my friend (RNY) and I felt SO BAD for the bandsters. They had all sorts of questions about why I choose VSG, and some of them called it "radical" etc. SO there I was saying 'um I didn't get the band because I can't stand to throw up, plus I don't view the band as a long-term solution' ...I wasn't expecting all the questions. I ended it by saying that those were having trouble could consider revising to the VSG. It was all very eye-opening. And every single bandster who had thrown up was blaming THEMSELVES! Truly. "I did it to myself, I ate too fast, too much, too big of a bite, etc." Wow.

So I'm glad I went but next time will go by the schedule. Interestingly enough, they don't have a stand-alone sleeve support group...we are lumped into the RNY category. Oh well, it will be interesting to hear all of their stories too. I did ask pre-surgery for them to make a sleeve support group since they are in the process of restructuring, etc.

Oh and the reason I put 'real' in quotes is because I truly consider this to be my TRUE support group...love this board!

That's really interesting -- and considering I wanted a lap band but my doctor wouldn't do them, really makes me thank God that I did not get it. I know some people have had a lot of success, but the failures are just too stunning to overlook. I guess I have another thing to be thankful for on Thurs. :)

I have to go to 6 months of support groups for insurance reasons and out of about 25 people there was one RNY and 1 pending band and my pending sleeve. There was one guy that had been sleeved but he was unable to stay ... He lost almost 100 lbs in 4 months. WOW! Most did not even know there was an alternative to the band. Now I live in a very small town, but they had not even heard of my surgeon and their surgeon did not mention the other choices like mine did. After being presented with my choices I researched and decided on the sleeve. I am still in the insurance requirement stage and do not know when my surgery will be. I love the info and members of this site. Thanks to you all!

My group is a mix of band, sleeve, ad ryn. With the stories of the banders and the struggles they go through, I am honestly surprised that they keep coming. I know I would feel defeated and not want to come hear of others doing well. I'm so glad I was able to get a sleeve.