Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is This Cheating?

OK folks, I'm 9 days post-op and doing great!

A little backgroud, I had a second series of spinal injections yesterday. They require that you come fasting, and I have them under sedation. I went home and straight to bed.

John and I went to Chili's for dinner, the first and only meal I ate yesterday. I had a bowl of their Southwestern Vegetable Soup. I ate it very slow, chewed the veggies really really well, and could only finish about 1/3. I'm still on liquids, and just as Melissa can't get away with anything without her girls ratting on her, John is my watch dog. He fussed at me cause this wasn't strictly liquid.

So for the record, was that really "cheating"?

I'm not so sure if you would call it cheating, however....according to my post-op eating instructions for phase 2 is full liquids, cream Soups are allowed but must be strained. To me, that means that anything that requires chewing is still not allowed at this point. I believe it has to do with the stomach still being in healing mode.

Hope this helps.

Carol

It all depends on the rules your doctor gave you but some folks are on liquids for only 1 week then go to mushies. I assume you have a 2 week liquid? It was a thick liquid on the mush side.....

I think you should follow what Woodys says...I think you may hurt yourself..Discipline....Discipline....and you will be better off with the weight loss and healing...

My Post op diet is as follows: 1 wk clear fluids, 2 wks full fluids, 2 wks pureed, 6th week we graduate to solids....that is the only phase where actual chewing is finally involved....so, to me.....no matter what plan you are on....the difference from 2nd wk to the 6th wk to be allowed to have food that requires chewing is definately for a reason and the fact that you entered into solids in phase 2 may be harmful. I would check with your Dr before you proceed to eat this way.

Carol

I don't think you have done any harm Karen...though I would try to avoid anything with chewing while on liquids. Some people even eat all Soups on the liquid diet they just puree it in the blender. If you chewed it that well isn't it the same thing?

I think your just fine. Sounds like you didn't eat much and you chewed till mush. I won't tell....lol....

Aren't you on creamy thicker Soups?

I have to disagree.....surely the professionals have a reason for designing a post-op diet the way they did.....otherwise, what would be the point? We have no idea the real condition of the new and old stomach after the surgery and just what it can handle during the healing process. I would suggest you listen to the professionals and follow their post-op instructions.

Thanks for all the input folks! Until last night, I had complied 100%. I promise I won't chew again until the doctor releases me to do so. I waited way too long for my band, and I have worked too hard so far to jeopardize my success or my health!

Good girl Karen. Don't beat yourself up, move forward. Yup, you cheated. But you didn't eat pizza, for goodness sakes! If you had to cheat, due to circumstances, you cheated well. It's good news that your healing band tolerated the well-chewed Soup. Doesn't it feel good to be so full on so little?!!!! Stay on the path! You are doing great!

You are doing great Karen! One slipup doesn't hurt anyone. Sounds like you are back on track and know reason to worry about it. We are here to support you not to beat you up about it. You're awesome girl and keep up the great work. Love ya!!!

Angie

Would me eating popcorn while watching the movie cars count as cheating. Although I'm RNY.

Karen - You are so busted, but I still love ya anyways. I hope every bite was delicious.

Karen - I am telling. hehe...

Girl you are fine don't even worry about it. The reason for the 2 week post op is because we had to many people advance to fast. So he does that to have you heal. We use to go home on mushies so don't sweat the small stuff. Have you had some egg drop Soup - girl that stuff does wonders when your on liquids. Ask Kathy I think she is the egg drop Soup queen. :cool:

That's OK Kim, you don't have to tell; I'll fess up when I see Dr. V tomorrow. I'm actually excited to see him. OK did that come out right? :cool: What I meant is I'm feeling great, and my incisions look awesome!

Aah yes, egg drop Soup ... manna from heaven while on liquids! :)