Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

For those of you who have already had the procedure done, I realize that it is going to be a life style change but sometimes life does get in the way and you have to eat out. Not to mention, going to a restaurant is something that my husband and kids enjoy doing as a family. So with that being said, how do you handle that? What do you normally look for when ordering? Or how about when the kids want to go to McDonald's for supper or lunch, how do you handle that?

Pre-op I loved going out to eat with the family. Now not so much. When we do go out I order a side usually. At Wendy's the chili, at arby's just the roast beef, at Ihop just an egg. I have to pace myself though. I see other family eating forkful after forkful and I try that too and wind up sick. It's much easier if you go out to say Applebees or something like that then you can order a small steak or chicken breast which you have to chew a lot. I've also found that I cannot eat certain foods at all because they make me sick like pizza or chick-fil-a or any fried food really.

We still eat out quite regularly. My husband does not need to lose weight, but he recognizes that food served at restuarants is much more than he really needs. So, we split a lot of meals. I love it when he is in the mood for steak - it just tastes so good & fills me up really well. If you don't want to split, look at the appetizer list or order something that is easy to take and reheat for future meals.

Fortunately, I really haven't found foods that I "can't" eat. There are ones that I avoid due to calories or low nutrient value.

At McDonalds, I usually asked for a grilled chicken breast (will sell for $2), apple dippers (no caramel), and drink Minute Maid light. If I'm feeling really wild and crazy I will order a 4 peice chicken nugget with the apple dippers. My son loves it because I order the Happy Meal and give him the toy.

Well, I've only recently explored eating out (I'm 4 weeks post-op) and I can tell you right now the main thing you are going to be looking for on a menu is Protein, Protein, protein. The things that I have ordered while eating out:

(at a BBQ sit down restaurant) smoked turkey sandwich (not deli turkey, real sliced turkey) without the bun and I did order fries on the side but gave them all away

(at Red Robin) the ensenada chicken platter with one chicken breast (you can have one or two) didn't eat the salad and took half the chicken breast home

(at Boston Market) I took some turkey and the smallest scoop of mashed potoates from my daughters plate

(at Qdoba) mexican gumbo (no rice, cheese, tortilla strips or sour cream) I brought it home and calculated out how many WLS servings were in it and figured I could portion it out into 6 different meals. I had 3 over the course of two days and took the other 3 and froze them in ziplock bags

I am going to be learning how to do this in a whole different way. If you are looking for some great inspiration check out www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com she is a bypass patient who loves to cook and will re-invent her leftovers into a new dish.

Other things you can do is offer to share a dish with someone, ask for a to-go box right off the bat, etc. Eating out can be tricky at first, but it is definitely workable! You can't stop enjoying life and become a hermit crab just because you had WLS. You will still enjoy eating out but it will just be different. I am enjoying being satisfied with SO MUCH LESS food now, I love it!

My boyfriend and I eat out basically every evening. I order pretty much anything I want, but avoid bready things as they don't sit well with me. The only difference between now and before the surgery is that I take 80% of my meal home with me - provides for lunch the next day.

Sashimi is my favorite for eating out -low-cal, tasty, high Protein. Too bad it's pricy and leftovers are only good for 1 day.

It's really interesting to see what ya'll eat when you go out! I have thought of this a lot but I know DH and I won't be going out to eat for some time since I am 5 days out and he is 10 day pre-surgery! We might still have to grab something here and there for our daughter but I don't see either of us eating out for awhile! LOL We are traveling at Christmas and I can see me possibly stopping by Wendy's for a baked potato and at that point DH might still be on liquids so we'll stop for milk for a Protein drink! LOL

It's really interesting to see what ya'll eat when you go out! I have thought of this a lot but I know DH and I won't be going out to eat for some time since I am 5 days out and he is 10 day pre-surgery! We might still have to grab something here and there for our daughter but I don't see either of us eating out for awhile! LOL We are traveling at Christmas and I can see me possibly stopping by Wendy's for a baked potato and at that point DH might still be on liquids so we'll stop for milk for a Protein drink! LOL

If you go to Wendy's, I would opt for the chili - more Protein and less carbs for you. Plus, what's better than hot chili on a cold winter's day? (Assuming you aren't going to some tropical island. If so, I may have to beat you up & take your plane ticket! ;) )

If you go to Wendy's, I would opt for the chili - more Protein and less carbs for you. Plus, what's better than hot chili on a cold winter's day? (Assuming you aren't going to some tropical island. If so, I may have to beat you up & take your plane ticket! ;) )

Bummer, I actally just moved from a tropical island to New York! LOL Lived in Hawaii for the last three years!! I wish I was still there!

As for Wendy's chili, I don't like it :( I am such a pickey eater but with all the talk about taste changing I am going to keep an open mind and keep trying new foods and hopefully my taste will change!!! I do like my OWN chili though! LOL

At a fast food restaurant I generally get a grilled chicken sandwich and just ditch the bread. At a sit down restaurant, I look for something off the appetizer menu. Going out to eat used to be one of my favorite activities, and now it's turned into a chore. That said, I don't regret what I did.

For those of you who have already had the procedure done, I realize that it is going to be a life style change but sometimes life does get in the way and you have to eat out. Not to mention, going to a restaurant is something that my husband and kids enjoy doing as a family. So with that being said, how do you handle that? What do you normally look for when ordering? Or how about when the kids want to go to McDonald's for supper or lunch, how do you handle that?

Ok as far as fast food goes, we will usually go to the following places:

Round Table (Gourmet Veggie-I'm able to eat 1 piece)

Taco Bell (1 crunchy taco supreme)

Del Taco (1 taco el carbon)

Jack in the Box (1 regular taco)

Wendys (1 small chili-I eat about 3/4)

Panda (1 tiny side-I eat about 3/4)

At restaurants close to home, I will try and order steak or prime rib and just take the left overs home. I just went to PF Changs yesterday to Celebrate our November birthdays at work yayyy, and I ordered the chicken lettuce wraps and ate 1 1/2 and took the rest home :)...Or I will just share something with a family member. We recently went to Red Robin and my daughter and I shared a guacamole burger (I couldn't eat much of the bun and ate 3/4 of the half lol).

Hope this helps :)

When my boyfriend and I go out, we usually split the meal because I most likely won't eat the leftovers. Since he weighs in at about 160 and never gains weight (bastard) I usually make the decision of what we'll be eating. I stay away from the things that I know are bad for me, sleeved or not. I don't do fried anything and usually always order Protein (chicken or steak) and veggies. Although, last night's trip to Olive Garden was not my best idea <_<

Sometimes if he's not in the mood to share, I'll order a cup of chili or something small. And I looooooove sushi.

Bummer, I actally just moved from a tropical island to New York! LOL Lived in Hawaii for the last three years!! I wish I was still there!

As for Wendy's chili, I don't like it :( I am such a pickey eater but with all the talk about taste changing I am going to keep an open mind and keep trying new foods and hopefully my taste will change!!! I do like my OWN chili though! LOL

Hawaii, I envy you........................ How I miss the turtles and the whales, the ocean so blue