Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

trying not to get discouraged 5 weeks out

im 5 weeks post-op today and have only lost 17lbs. I was down 15 lbs at 2 weeks post-op, at 2.5 weeks i had to get IV fluids which made me gain 5 lbs. i keep looking at everyones weightloss that had surgery after me and most have lost way more than me. :( Im tracking my Protein, carbs and calories trying to keep it around 500-600 cals, 60 protein and under 30 carbs. i know I'm a slow loser but to see my scale only move .4 in a week and I hardly eat anything just makes me want to cry.

Im having problems when i first get to work, the past 3 days i damn near past out while dealing cards and have to go sit down for a 10 mins and then im fine. not sure whats causing this my mom thinks low blood suger. TMI- Im also having problems with BMs Im lucky to go once a week and then its not much that comes out. Ive tryed maralax doesnt help, 4 days of exlax in a row never went.

Any advice?

That is an average of 3.4 Lbs per week. Sounds good to me.

My advice:

Don't compare yourself to others. Just like driving, there will always be someone faster than you.

Go see your Dr. about the fainting feelings.

You need to bump up your Fiber. It will take time for it to start working, but I do this and I go every single day.

My advice would be to increase your intake. On 5-600 cals your body will think you're starving it and hold on to everything it has. I would think this is what causes you to almost pass out as well. Given our small stomachs I think eating at least 6 times per day i required to get all the nutrion we need.

Comparing to others is ususally not a very good idea, try to focus on yourself and your journey. Best of luck! :-)

Kerri, I am so with you! My surgery was on the 13th of October and since wk 3 I have stalled! I even gained weight! :( I will also be 5 wks on Wednesday! I am so frustrated and have been in tears quite a bit about this. Then I start thinking that I will never get over this hump and be fat all my life. Why did I do the surgery if it won't work and I am doing everything I am supposed to do! I know that I have lost inches but why will the scale not move! I right down everything I eat but have not put it into something that tells me calories. I hardly eat any carbs and get between 70 and 90 gms of Protein each day which is what the NUT wants. I don't get 64 oz of Water but try really hard! If I can be of any support feel free to message me.

Melissa

Ladies,

this is ringing sooooo loud for me!! I too am a slow loser; I too stalled for 3 weeks from 2.5 weeks out and then it came off in fits and starts.

More recently I put weight on when I quit smoking; one week to put it on...over three weeks to get it off! UNFAIR!!!

My advise, keep going and stay positive, I know that is hard. Focus on the things that you have done... how much you have lost and how your clothes are feeling smaller now... do you have more energy yet etc?

As far as 500 cals... that isn't a lot mind... and I agree with the others that it probably isn't enough. I know when I don't eat enought cals my body doesn't like it and stops losing all together! What about Water? Are you drinking enough fluids? I remember ar your stage I needed to drink a lot!

Well, good luck and chin up... it will come off and when it does, it feels sooooo much sweeter!! Let us know how you are getting on x

My doctor has me using dulcolax suppositories, work like a charm everytime....:D

As for the B Movements, my Nutritionist said, keep in mind.. If your not putting a lot in, there's not a lot to come out. Your body is probably using everything you are eating or drinking... Just make sure you don't get dehydrated. I can always tell by my hands.. they look really wrinkly if I spread my fingers

You can always call your doctor or the nutritionist and find out whats going on if you are getting concerned. That's what they are there for

I am wondering too if you're drinking enough Water. Low carbing can definitely cause Constipation so make sure you're drinking A LOT of Water. You can up your veggies without worrying about the calories or the carbs.

If you stay away from peas, carrots, and corn, you can pretty much have all the veggies you want.

I came on to see if it was possible to stall at 4 weeks post-op. I am getting discouraged, I haven't lost a pound in two weeks? I stepped up my walking exercize, trying for 3 miles (Leslie Sansone Walk at home)

by the end of this week.

Two weeks ago I had a problem with bm and used suppositories (came out twice)

ducolax powder. Finally, but it took two days. I noticed I was going to go through that again and I decided to take that once a week as a preventative measure. I don't know if that's bad to do. But there really isn't much Fiber in our diet.

If you look back at what I had posted I had the same thing a week ago. I hit a 10 day stall. The only things IMO that will break a stall is time, increasing fluids, get ENOUGH to eat. scale started moving abotu 4 days ago for me. No worries!

Thanks everyone!!! I normally get in about 40-45oz of Water. Im trying to get in more i just feel like im going to explode. LOL! I drink 1 Protein Shake a day trying to help get in Protein and calories. My big issuse is getting in enough to eat, Im lucky to get 2-3 bits of food in and then Im over full and get a pain in my belly. How can i get more calories and protein in if i cant eat much? (I hate Protein Shakes there to sweet)

I have been doing supositories and most of the time i just pooh back out the liquidfied supository. i just bought some Probiotics yesterday lets see if that help any.

Thanks everyone!!! I normally get in about 40-45oz of Water. Im trying to get in more i just feel like im going to explode. LOL! I drink 1 Protein shake a day trying to help get in Protein and calories. My big issuse is getting in enough to eat, Im lucky to get 2-3 bits of food in and then Im over full and get a pain in my belly. How can i get more calories and protein in if i cant eat much? (I hate protein shakes there to sweet)

I have been doing supositories and most of the time i just pooh back out the liquidfied supository. i just bought some Probiotics yesterday lets see if that help any.

Like DJackson, the only thing that is going to help mostly is time. It looks like you're only about a month out of surgery. I still had trouble eating much at that time too. Those are also the most common weeks for folks to experience the dreaded stalls.

If you have to, try to fit in a few extra meal times, if you can't supplement with Protein Shakes. They certainly aren't for everybody! I don't mind them but lots can't stand them.

Maybe try to add in some full power Gatorade too. That will help get your electrolytes, some extra calories and adds to your Fluid total.

Hope your stall breaks soon! It will, just have to give it some time. :)

OMG! im going to cry! i decided to only weigh myself 2xs a week so i get on the scale and it said i gained 2.5 lbs. :angry: I DONT GET THIS!!!! What Im i doing wrong??? Im eatting about 60gs of Protein, under 30g of carbs, and getting in about 40-45oz of Water a day.

Here are the types of foods Im eatting: cheese, yogert, chicken, ham, Soup, cottage cheese, refried Beans.

Yesterday i had

1/4 cup refired Beans with cheese

3x during the day i had a peice of ham with chedder cheese rolled up.

a small tiny pickel

chicken Soup with fresh grilled chicken breast and avacoto

Protein shake

kerri, 40-45 oz of Water is not enough. On a low carb diet you need to drink a minimum of the 8-8oz rule. You have to flush the fat out. I think once you do that, you will see the weight drop again.

Also, ham, canned Soups and especially pickles have a ton of sodium. You are retaining fluids likely. You need to flush them out.