Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sleeved 1 week - very hungry and worried!

Hi,

I had a VSG last week but am really hungry, seem to be able to drink as much as I want and am worried! Have lost no weight, am sticking to the post op mushy diet. Am i alone? Would love to hear others stories at this stage - even worried they didn't do the procedure!!

VicR

I am surprised they let you move to mushies already. I was on clear liquid for 10 days and then 10 more days of

full liquids before moving to mushies.

don't worry . When you move to solids, you'll feel a big difference. You should consider yourslef lucky.

A lot of people feel nauseous and sick and don't even feel like like eating at one week out.

You just have to be patient. The weight loss will come!

I am surprised they let you move to mushies already. I was on clear liquid for 10 days and then 10 more days of

full liquids before moving to mushies.

don't worry . When you move to solids, you'll feel a big difference. You should consider yourslef lucky.

A lot of people feel nauseous and sick and don't even feel like like eating at one week out.

You just have to be patient. The weight loss will come!

Hi oregon, what exactly is full liquids, i keep hearing that term and dont know what it is? ty vicki

Full liquids are liquids that are not clear, that you would be able to drink thru a straw. Not so thick that you could not drink thru a straw. (some doctors don't actually want you drinking thru a straw)

Like milk, creamy Soups, Tomato juice etc.

Full liquids are liquids that are not clear, that you would be able to drink thru a straw. Not so thick that you could not drink thru a straw. (some doctors don't actually want you drinking thru a straw)

Like milk, creamy Soups, Tomato juice etc.

ty. i guess thats what im doing now without the straw, but i sure miss my straws. i feel like i swallow more air without it....:unsure:

Hi,

I had a VSG last week but am really hungry, seem to be able to drink as much as I want and am worried! Have lost no weight, am sticking to the post op mushy diet. Am i alone? Would love to hear others stories at this stage - even worried they didn't do the procedure!!

VicR

Hay there it is Vicki from PA. Sleeved one week ago today. Not hungery and I saw my Dr. yesterday, I have lost 14 lbs according to being weighed prior to surgery. Soo I have to be honest, I am really not real hungery and when I get a twinge of that, I drink somethins VERY slow cause fast hurts going down. When they opened me up I had a HUGE hiatel hernia I or they were not expecting so I thing is I had double trouble in my belly. Yesterday my Doc. said I could move from Clear Liquids to full liquids and then a few days to purred foods. Full liquids are like Protein Shakes, pudding, yougart that kind of consistancy. So that is where I am. I am so not worried about the scale right now, I KNOW my intake is not much at all so I have to loose weight. Hang in there kido, if you are like me everyday I find something new with our sleeves, good and bad. Prayers are with you! Vicki

Often stomach acid disguises itself as hunger. Did your doctor put you on a PPI (acid reducer)? If not, you might check to see if there's one they recommend. The first couple weeks can be a challenge, just follow your doctor's instructions and get thru it one day at a time, and soon you'll look back on these days and say "Well thank God THAT's over!" LOL!

Welcome to the loser's bench!

Full liquids are Protein Shakes, yogurt ( I eat greek yogurt, more Protein less carbs) drinkable yogurt, pudding,

any kind of Soup you want if you put it in a blender and make sure there are no chunks. some people eat

soupy Cereal like oatmeal or cream of wheat, but I didn't want the carbs.

Hi,

VicR

I'm in the exact same boat. I was sleeved on Nov. 3rd. I was able to get about 4-5 bottles of Water down a day after 4 days and felt a strong hunger. Now I weighed myself one week from surgery and lost about 10lbs. I spoke with the dietitian about the hunger problems. She said that I should move ahead to the second step of eating Soups and drinking Protein shakes. So I did. I'm eating about 700-900 calories a day and in the last four days I've actually gained a pound. I'm getting nervous myself and I started thinking I did this for nothing. When I eat Soup within about 2 hours I'm hungry again. I tried calling my Dr.'s office yesterday but they were gone for the day. I guess I'm just telling you this because you are not alone. Sorry to say but you trouble brings me comfort knowing that I'm not alone and that this must be just temporary. I'm gonna try to get a decent walk or some sort of exercise in these next few days and hope that helps. Keep me updated please as I would like to know how you are progressing since we had are surgeries on almost the same day.

I had my surgery on Nov 1st and have been super hungry the last two days. It's like the hunger just turned itself back on. I am really struggling and driving my husband nutz. I went and got some egg drop Soup tonight and it was very satisfying. I am starting on the puree tomorrow. Not sure what I am going to eat at this phase. I feel like I have been having so many carbs. I eat Malt-o-meal, cream of wheat and potato soup. I don't like the cream Soups they are too rich. They make me sick to my stomach and I have been getting two Protein shakes down a day. I have lost 15 punds since my surgery day. I just wish I was at a comfort level with what to eat. I miss my veggies and meat. I guess I will have them soon enough.

I will tell you. Anyone who thinks this is the easy way out needs to think again. This part has been really, really hard for me. I know one day I will look back and forget how hard it was. Kind of like child birth I guess!! Hah!

I can not tell you how much this website has helped me.

Hi,

I had my surgery Nov 8th. I also am hungry all the time. When I drink my Protein, applesauce, broth... all that stuff, I never feel full. Like you, I also told my husband, I think they took out the wrong portion of my stomach, he left the hungry part! I am losing wait, but honestly, I'm counting the days I can have JUST ONE piece of sausage off of a pepperoni and sausage pizza lol Hang in there!

Hi,

VicR

Hi,

I had my surgery Nov 8th. I also am hungry all the time. When I drink my Protein, applesauce, broth... all that stuff, I never feel full. Like you, I also told my husband, I think they took out the wrong portion of my stomach, he left the hungry part! I am losing wait, but honestly, I'm counting the days I can have JUST ONE piece of sausage off of a pepperoni and sausage pizza lol Hang in there!

Hey i just want you to know your not alone, i am also starving all the time, i am sitting here drinking the broth from chicken Soup at a local restaurant, i will also be starting puree, egg salad, chick salad, cottage cheese, pureed Soup. etc...let me know how you make out....feeling for you cause i know how you feel, vicki....:unsure:

I had my surgery on the Nov 1 and I'm thinking I'm really not doing what I'm supposed to do. I gave up on Protein Shakes, I just cannot drink them. I've tried unflavored Protein Powder still makes me sick. Even cream Soup I can't eat. Starting yesterday I was able to have 3 oz of Protein, like turkey, low fat cheese, etc. So basically that's all I'm eating 3 oz of protein plus a little cottage cheese. I'm not starving but I feel hungry because my body knows I need more calories. Anyways, because I'm able to start eating real protein even though I feel hungry, I get full with a few bites, unlike when your just having liquid. I think when we move on to more protein the hunger will get better. Honestly, everyone who has to stay on a liquid diet, clear or full for longer then two weeks, has some real willpower. I don't know how you do it.

Good luck, just take it one day at a time, Janine

I had my surgery on October 25th... I lost 8 lbs pre surgery and another 12 since.. I lost nothing the first week of my surgery. Remember they pump you full of fluids for the surgery along with the anesthesia, its almost impossible to lose at first. It seems the more you have to lose, the faster you lose it. My doctor told me to expect a lose of an average of 2lbs per week. As long as I'm losing, I'm happy! I had the same worries as you at first, did I do the right thing.. But once that scale starts moving, it makes it so worth it. Really try to get your Protein intake.. It will lead to other problems if you don't..

My NUT told me to stop weighing myself everyday... everyone plateaus within the first month or two... are you losing inches? When I wasn't losing weight, my close were getting loser and my face was getting thinner and my rings were getting loser. Hang in there, you weight will melt off in no time.

It seems like we can pretty much put the weigh on overnight but takes twice as long to lose it.. And as for hunger, I have terrible cravings for food! When you are on the liquid portion, it doesn't stay in your stomach. Once you progress to the mechanically soft, you will definitely start finding yourself feeling full. I was told by the NUT that with the staples, there is no way you are going to stretch your stomach and after you move to real food, you will just end up being in pain from eating to fast or too much or its going to come back up

Hang in there... It will all be worth it in no time :P

I cannot begin to tell you how comforting it is to hear others tell of having the same experiences I've had. My surgery date was 10/26 and I have struggled greatly with the hunger, etc... I had my first post-op appointment yesterday, after 3 weeks, and I've only lost 8 lbs. since the morning of my surgery. Not great numbers. My surgeon assures me that the weight will come off but it is difficult to believe when I see others losing 20-30+ lbs. in the first 3 weeks.

I researched WLS for nearly 5 years, went to every class and support group around me and actually feel at the moment like I may not have made a good decision. I'm sure this will change over time and I cannot wait until I can say that "I love my sleeve"!