Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New-Had first visit w/ Dr.

Hi all! I've been a lurker for about a month and had my first visit with the surgeon on Mon. First off I'm a wife and mother to two beautiful girls adopted from China (I like getting my babies from a 5 star hotel and shopping afterward!!!LOL). I've was a chubby kid from 5 years old on so it's hard to imagine a life without the extra weight but I hope to find out what thats like!!! Thankfully my insurance allows me not to have to do any stuff like Dr. supervised diets ect. Basically our policy says if you are over a certain BMI that you don't have to pass go or collect $200...please go directly to the surgeon! For once being extra chubby works in my favor, LOL! I feel as though God has opened a door for me to be able to go shopping for my daughters wedding dresses without a scooter to do it...I don't think I have ever wanted anything more than my daughters, so I'm exicited to walk this journey with you all and happy to share support where I can! Next I have to go for all the pre-op testing. I'm in the St. Louis area and my surgeon is the director of the program at an area hospital so he set it up for his patients to get all the testing done in one morning over a two hour period..I have to do 5 things and so far I'm very impressed with the organization involved! I'm believing for a Jan surgery date and I'm glad to be a part of you community! Thanks for listening, Tracy

Tracy - Sorry I missed this post. Welcome to the board. I saw your other post about pysch eval. Mine was a little different, so I will let other chime in on their experiences (I took some weird tests & then we just talked an hour or so about my weight history & how I was going to be so successful with VSG.)

If you have other questions, just ask away!

Hi Tracy!

Wow it sounds like you have a very exciting life! Two beautiful daughters, and them being your motivation to get your health in order. Congratulation to you!! You're truly are very lucky!!

Hang on to your hat lady, because once you make that final decision to do the surgery - the time absolutely flies!!

Looking forward to hearing more about your story. :)

Thanks guys...I was feeling a little looked over!!!! In the international adoption community, forums like this are HUGE....what travel to China is like ect. So I'm looking forward to getting to know you all very well and having the support through this process! My surgeon said to not gain any weight until my estimated surgery (mid-late Jan) and loose if I can. I have been trying to attack my head issues and Portion Control now...any ideas.....it's tough! Thanks again! Tracy

Well, I suggest you read the Atkins and/or the South Beach Diet book. You will be doing a lot of low carb. Not because you SHOULD (which you should... lol) but more because your tiny tummy will force you to. You won't have a lot of room for very much, so likely you will want to choose the healthier choices. You need so many grams of Protein per day so the majority of your foods will be high Protein.< /strong>

Start your low carb eating now, so you won't have to deal with the cravings as much post op.

Good luck!!

HI Part of my surgeon and insurance plan's process is to write down everything I eat, including how much, at what times, where and what I am doing, and any thoughts/feelings before I eat. If that doesn't get you to really take a look at yourself, I don't know what will. It has also helped to eat healthy foods (high, lean Proteins, fruit and veggies) every 2-3 hrs while you're awake because that is how you have to eat for the rest of your life. I don't like having to wait 3-4 months before surgery but it is there for a reason. Gives you time to put in place some of the coping skills and ways of eating before you actually have surgery. Good luck.

Thanks guys for the ideas.....your right Cheryl...writing things down would force me to look at things differently!!! Irene....thanks for the book/diet ideas! So far just checking myself at the fridge (so to speak) has found life to be interesting already...LOL!!!! I want Cheetos....but why???? HUM!!! Thanks ladies! Tracy