Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How long were you on the mushies?

After taking my nutrition class, I was surprised to hear that my doctor wants me to be on mushies for six weeks, after two weeks of full liquids. How long were you on mushies, and did you follow the doctors orders, or did you move ahead when you felt you were ready?

Mushies/soft foods were all lump into one category so I guess it depends on what your guideline states are mushies. Anything I could chew to mush, or blend counted, and I stayed on mushies for a good 2-3 months, and still rely on mushies to get in my Protein. For example, chicken or tuna salad is a mushy by my guideline, and I still eat both of those weekly because it's easy and convenient. I can eat more of those foods now than I could at 2-3 months out. Plus, I couldn't rely on Protein drinks/shakes, so I had to focus on getting in my protein for food sources. I'd prefer to eat mushies, and get in my protein than try to eat 1/2 dry chicken breast and not hit my goals.

Fajita steak counted as a mushie as long as I chewed, chewed, chewed, and added some sour cream. It was really difficult for me to transition straight to solids.

I stayed on mushies for months. I could only eat 2-3 bites of solid meat when I was supposed to progress and it was really hard to eat. It was much easier to try to eat my 2-3 bites and then eat something mushy. Progressing to solids and learning how to eat is not all that easy. It's easier actually for people who have had the band already, because they have already learned to eat slowly and chew really really well.

Two weeks on Clear Liquids

Two weeks on pureed foods

Two-three weeks on soft foods

hopfully after that youll be able to transition to solids but the above isnt written in stone everyones healing and how there able to eat is different.You say it seems like a "erternity" Your going in to have major surgery and your stomach will be made small and will have trama, doc say 6-8 weeks for insicion line to properly heal.

Im Morbidly Obese and eating got me here im doing what my surgeon says its not forever i know ill be able to have a "small portion" on one of my fav. foods down the road right now i want to heal.

Some people who are thinking of having this surgery you have to remember this isnt a fix, you will lose weight you can cheat also and the smaller stomach will stretch a lil later down the road not much but a little. So if your already worring about when your going to eat that cheeseburger id suggest going to a therapist to help you focus on your new lifestyle.

Good Luck on your journey looking forward to seeing you on the losers side what a great gift your giving yourself and your family a healthier YOU>

Joe

We don't have a pouch. We have the same stomach that we always had. It's just a much smaller size.

We don't have a pouch. We have the same stomach that we always had. It's just a much smaller size.

Thanks it was late and my thoughts were all over the place and didnt really proof read closer to a banana shape thou...lol

Thanks for all of your answers. I'm not sure I need a therapist, I just like foods that are chewy and crunchy and were hoping to eat them a little sooner. I have gotten into a different mindset over the past few years where I've 'given up' on dieting, but I know I am going to have to be mindful of what I eat now. I am ready for that, because I feel like this time in won't be in vain--my efforts will pay off.

Thanks for all of your answers. I'm not sure I need a therapist, I just like foods that are chewy and crunchy and were hoping to eat them a little sooner. I have gotten into a different mindset over the past few years where I've 'given up' on dieting, but I know I am going to have to be mindful of what I eat now. I am ready for that, because I feel like this time in won't be in vain--my efforts will pay off.

I agree that therapy is NOT always the answer. I missed chewing stuff too, and if you think about it, a single solitary saltine cracker turns to mush after you chew it up. I'm not advocating progressing your diet, but there are foods you can eat that have some textures. Crunchy stuff was the one thing I kind of missed, but I knew it just wasn't worth it early out to risk it.