Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How do you see yourself now?

This past weekend, my husband and I were walking in New Orleans when we came up on an Italian boutique that had this gorgeous black dress in the window. My husband stopped to admire it and told me that once I have my surgery and lose my weight, he wanted to get me something like that dress to show off my new figure. While we were walking back to the hotel, I started to think, I have A LOT of weight to lose and will I do it with this surgery? I know that from past experiences, that it takes a while for you to see yourself skinny once you have lost weight. So my question is this, when looking at your self in the mirror (after surgery) how do you keep from seeing yourself as still being heavy? At what point does it click that you are no longer that person who was 80 lbs overweight?

I was 150lbs overweight so seeing myself skinny was a chore. It took months for my brain to catch up, and would say that it wasn't until I was close to a year out for me to realize that I could be considered "skinny". Now, I'm having an issue with seeing myself as "tiny". I'm only 5'2" and weigh 125lbs, but I don't "see" myself as a tiny, petite girl. It took seeing a picture of me standing up with several of my girlfriends to realize that I am definitely "tiny looking".

I have finally stopped reaching for bigger sizes except for panties. I still pick up large and mediums, and I can barely wear the smalls. So, I guess my brain is still trying to catch up.

I'm 5 months out and I know what I see in photos to be true. But, I still find myself looking for "wide" places to sit, etc. We were in San Antonio last month and my back was killing me. Hubby said sit over there and I was like yeah right. Then I realized I could fit there, it's strange. lol.

I don't see myself as skinny, but I'm technically not there yet, at a BMI of 27-something; however, I do see myself as average-sized and definitely wouldn't use "fat" to describe myself. I feel comfortable wearing an above-the-knee skirt or tighter clothes, but I'm aware of limitations (e.g. no booty shorts for me!).

Hmmmmm I definitely see myself as better, but I still feel pretty chubby most of the time.

I met my husband 14 years ago, and when I finally agreed to go on a date with him I bought a shirt and kept it all these years. I was thin then when I went on that date. I remember I felt very confident. And it is kinda big now, so I'm smaller now than I was then (in between I couldn't fit in the shirt at all).

But I feel big.

But sometimes, when I go to 2-3 stores and squeeze into a size 8p I'm like okay, 8P is smaller so I am smaller. And I know I work harder and have much much more stamina. But I still feel big, especially my mid section. I do feel better.

The other problem is I can wear the black dress, but I don't always wanna deliver the goods. haha Some people seem to get more ummmmm.....ummmmmmm....excited sexually after surgery. My husband wants to know where he can get me somadatt!

This past weekend, my husband and I were walking in New Orleans when we came up on an Italian boutique that had this gorgeous black dress in the window. My husband stopped to admire it and told me that once I have my surgery and lose my weight, he wanted to get me something like that dress to show off my new figure. While we were walking back to the hotel, I started to think, I have A LOT of weight to lose and will I do it with this surgery? I know that from past experiences, that it takes a while for you to see yourself skinny once you have lost weight. So my question is this, when looking at your self in the mirror (after surgery) how do you keep from seeing yourself as still being heavy? At what point does it click that you are no longer that person who was 80 lbs overweight?

I am a few days shy of being five months out. I reached my surgeon's goal last week....and am 1.5 lb below his goal as of this morning. I'm wearing a size 8 jeans and when I take them out of the dryer, I think NO WAY can I slip into these! I see myself as smaller....but I have been called skinny and small and thin. It is hard to believe somebody is talking about ME!! I am just now getting use to buying smaller clothes! It takes a while for your brain to catch up, that's for sure!

I literally have to do a double take when I see my reflection in a mirror (other than at home)...it's that same feeling like when your looking at those crazy mirrors at the circus that make you look super skinny or super fat. I think to myself is that me??? I even move around just to make sure I'm not seeing things lol. I'm not the same gal who would run from the mirrors anymore, sniff, sniff :( . I still have 38 lbs. to get to my goal, but I'm so happy for every pound lost so far :rolleyes:

Ditto to everything said above. There are days when I feel small and confident. There are others where I say "no way". The other day, I picked up a cute VERY short skirt on a whim. It's a 7/8 & it fits me like a glove. Not sure if I will get the confidence to wear it out in public, but I might just make dinner in it one night to see what the hubby thinks! ;)

Ditto to everything said above. There are days when I feel small and confident. There are others where I say "no way". The other day, I picked up a cute VERY short skirt on a whim. It's a 7/8 & it fits me like a glove. Not sure if I will get the confidence to wear it out in public, but I might just make dinner in it one night to see what the hubby thinks! ;)

I did this too... picked up a small denim mini skirt thinking it might do for when I reach target, couldn't try it on as we were at a car boot sale... and when I got home it fits like a glove!! Boy did I grin my face off!!! :rolleyes:

I find I have to keep saying what I weigh to believe it.... and although I am now in a UK size 12 jeans I still don't see myself as that small..... even though I know they fit so I must be....

I was 150lbs overweight so seeing myself skinny was a chore. It took months for my brain to catch up, and would say that it wasn't until I was close to a year out for me to realize that I could be considered "skinny". Now, I'm having an issue with seeing myself as "tiny". I'm only 5'2" and weigh 125lbs, but I don't "see" myself as a tiny, petite girl. It took seeing a picture of me standing up with several of my girlfriends to realize that I am definitely "tiny looking".

I have finally stopped reaching for bigger sizes except for panties. I still pick up large and mediums, and I can barely wear the smalls. So, I guess my brain is still trying to catch up.

im always being called skinny. i def do not see my self as skinny. i started out at 254 and today weigh 154 lbs and im wearing a size 12. i know ive lost a ton of weight but still dont see myself as skinny