Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Leaving for TO on Thursday morning

Hi everyone,

I'm leaving for the TLBC on Thursday, surgery Friday morning. I'm REALLY nervous and scared. I'm also exhausted and weak (I think I'm actually starting to hallucinate) from the pre-op yogurt/cottage cheese diet, I can't eat very much of it or I gag, I'm so sick of it. I think I'm only managing about 300-400 calories/day. I can't even IMAGINE what starving people go through!

So anyway, for anyone who went to the TLBC, how long after surgery until you were released from the clinic? How did everyone feel when they were released? Were you able to walk ok? Nauseous? Able to handle a long cab ride?

Thanks!

Buffy,

I'm not in Canada, But I can understand your feelings. My surgery is a week away and I am so restless I can't sleep. It can be a drain. Try to rest and relax as much as you can. I know that for myself, I get sick if I am worn out and exhausted. THIS IS NOT WHAT WE WANT BEFORE ONE OF THE MOST IMPORTANT EVENTS IN OUR LIFE! Maybe you can contact a doctor or nurse at your clinic and explain that you are weak from not eating and nerves. There must be something else you can eat pre-op that will be nutritious and help you feel better. My doc's diet is a bit different, but I do think it is important to follow what your doctor recommends.

Do you have a friend going with you? Even if you are taking a cab, I would think it would be comforting to have another caring person along. I wish I could be of more help. O.K. you Canadians, ... step up and help Buffy!

Terry in West Texas

Hi Buffie: Don't worry honey, it really isn't that bad! I was feeling just like you this time last week. I was banded at the same clinic by Dr. Yau on Jun 8th.

I had to come in from out of town (2 hours north) so I came in with my husband the day before and booked 2 nights at HoJo's in Yorkville.

I didn't check my messages before going to the centre, Kathy was trying to reach me because someone had postponed their surgery due to tonsilitis so she was re-arranging appointments a bit. I ended up waiting a bit longer to "take my turn" but it wasn't really a problem.

I can tell you exactly what happens:

Carol or Nisrine will greet you, you will be put in the waiting room that you were in when you had your consultation.

Kathy will eventually come and get you and you will go to her office...you will sign the form you received during your consultation. She will then take you to a small dressing room, you will be given a locker, a gown, slippers and a terry robe. You will change then an OR nurse will come in and take your blood pressure and ask you a few simple questions about allergies, etc.

You will be left in this small room and then the surgeon will come to see you......he will cover the band he will be installing in you....very briefly and quickly so if you have any questions get them out at that point because its pretty much your last chance.....at that point you will sign a release form for the surgery.

If you have to tinkle, now is the time to do it.

In a few minutes the OR nurse will come and get you and lead you to the OR. Believe me.....it all goes very very very fast from then on. You don't have a moment to think about anything. Within a few seconds your IV will be in while another nurse is giving you oxygen and then "snap" you are asleep. It was absolutely fabulous, there was no time at all to get nervous at that point.

I didn't feel a thing until hours later when the Recovery nurse woke me up. She tried a few times with me to wake me up and then when Al arrived she got me to my feet, helped me get dressed, and ushered me out to the car....I went back to the hotel the same day of surgery, didn't have to stay overnight.

I did feel nauseated when she got me to my feet and when I was getting into and out of the truck. I heaved a few times each instance but nothing came up....this is to be expected...it wasn't that bad.

When I got back to the hotel all I wanted to do was sleep and did so until the next morning. The demoral keep the pain at bay and for 48 hours I was fine. The gas started to set in and it is painful but I hear that this affects everyone differently. I was on my feet and back to work (somewhat) on the Fri night......I don't like taking meds so I cut out my pain meds early and have had some discomfort but that is my fault.

All I can manage right now as far as eating is just was they suggest on phase one....I can only get 1/2 cup of tea down but boy does it taste and feel good. Only 1/4 cup of Jello 1/2 of a popsicle. But, that's the name of the game.

If there is anything else you need to know just email me..... woodys@sympatico.ca

Good luck and congrats!

Carol :clap2:

Thanks for the replies, it helps. The biggest thing I'm worried about is post-op nausea. I have a real problem with anesthesia and nausea, being nauseous is THE WORST thing in the world for me. I already let the clinic know about this and that I would like Maxeran in my IV prior to the surgery, during the surgery, after the surgery. I can handle pain, nausea I can't handle so well.

WoodyS, Did your post-op nausea go away quickly? How long did it last? Were you given Gravol? I have a 45 minute cab ride back to our hotel after the surgery and I have visions of puking in the cab. What does the clinic look like? Did you feel safe there?

Thanks,

Buffie

Hey Buffie...

It's normal to feel nervous (& excited) all at the same time, so don't fret. I second almost everything Woodys said!! I also had mine done at TLBC (21 Apr). Like Woodys mentioned, it all went very quick.....and not to worry; the staff were EXCELLENT and they make you feel comfortable and at relaxed. It's true...once you walk into the surgery room (it is freeeezing in there; I joked that it was to keep them awake during surgery!) and climb up onto the big table....boom, boom, bang you are out!!! Due to having sleep apnea, I knew I would be staying overnight at the clinic, so I didn't have to get up and move about right away; I was merely wheeled into my "room" where I had a nice drip (pain and hydration) and slept off and on (not great, but that is to be expected). I didn't experience any nausea (the drip also had anti-nausea drugs and they use realllly good ones during surgery as well). I was one of the lucky few I guess who hardly had any gas pain at all later on. Really, the whole physical experience wasn't near as bad as I expected it to be or was led to believe it was going to be. Like Woodys, I took the demerol religiously for 2 days (why suffer if you don't have to!) and then I switched to liquid tylenol (I was having weird dreams on the demerol). But, be sure you get your demerol script filled (perhaps whoever is with you can get it filled while you are undergoing the procedure) so that it is there and waiting for you when you need it after you go back to the hotel etc.

Good luck on Thurs; I know it will go well for you!!!

LOL, our posts crossed Buffie; so I'll respond to your other concerns. Yes, I didn't mention it in detail in my previous post but the nauseau things was the thing I was also worried about the MOST. I HATE it and I will do almost anything to avoid vomiting or even dry heaving (ANYTHING!). I had some surgery a few yrs ago and I woke up form the anesth. vomiting...I was NOT a happy camper (that was also my first surgery). So, I had mentioned the same concerns. The staff & Docs at TLBC assured me that they would use the "strong stuff" (they prob do for everyone anyways) and they would make note of my concern and previous history. And, thankfully....all went well. I truly do not recall having any nausea. But, mind you, as I said, I didn't have to travel anywhere (other than down the hall!) until the next morning. I then had a 2 hr drive home and it wasn't too bad....my hubby had a pillow for me to hold on my tummy and some apple juice in a sippy cup and I had a pain shot before I left (you can take a demerol). Oh, and because the nausea thing scared me so much, I took liquid gravol every day for about 8 days....just in case. I wasn't leaving it to chance! And, no problems! Now whether or not it was the gravol that did the trick or that I just wasn't going to have a problem either way....I don't care!! LOL

The clinic, by the way, is very chic! (I guess, when you consider how much money they are pulling in!!!!!). Even the robe I put on over my gown still have the price tag on it and it was $60 !!!!!! And, yes, I felt VERY safe there. Even overnight when it was just me and the nurse. Very safe indeed. Nothing to worry about. Don't get too worked up....you don't want to get into a frenzy!!!! Relax, and it will all be over soon. Be sure you come back here and keep us posted!

Buffie:

My ride in the car was only a few blocks. My nausea only hit when I stood and tried to balance myself.....I was very groggy trying to wake up. It hit again before I got in the truck and when I got out of the truck. I heaved about 6 times each instance but nothing came up and it didn't hurt. I didn't want gravol.....I don't like taking anything so it was big deal that I was even on demerol. Once I got back to the hotel it never hit again. Also, the recovery nurse gave me wads of paper towels and a stack of barf bags just in case.

I'm sure that the clinic will honour your request for your nausea meds.....email Kathy Palermo, Post-op patient care coordinator, kpalermo@tlbc.ca and tell her that you insist on having the med you want administered. Kathy will also have a face to face chat with you when you arrive to sign your consent form so mention it again at that point.

The clinic is upscale as far as the entrance and waiting area, Yorkville is the trendiest, wealthiest shopping district in Toronto, that area is the equivalent to Rodeo Drive in Hollywood. The staff are GREAT! Very friendly and compasionate.....Drs too. The clinic area is just like a hospital ward. For sterilization purposes it is bare, all tile, paint, and steel. The OR is small which I found comforting. It is absolutely spotless. The room they put you in to change and wait for the OR nurse and Dr is comfortable with a LCD tv, phone, etc.

I don't remember the recovery room much. I remember being in a 3 bed room, just like a hospital room, I was the only one there in a bed in the corner....hell, didn't matter, I was so out of it, I could have been on the moon for all I knew. The Recovery nurse is very sweet, she gently came several times to try and wake me up, rubbed my arms and checked everything she had to check on a regular basis.

I know one thing for sure......for what I am going to get out of this long term.....it would definately be worth the vomiting and nausea that will last for just a few short moments. I wouldn't worry about throwing up in the cab.....at least you have a justfyable excuse....I'm sure the cabbies have seen many many many drunks throw up in their cabs.....without barf bags!....especially since they pick up in downtown Toronto.

Do you have to stay so far from the clinic? The Howard Johnsons hotel is 2 blocks away and $129.00 / night....is that an option for you?

I am here for you if need any other info.

Carol

BEST WISHES BUFFIE

:cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2:

WERE ALL ROOT'N FOR YOU

P.S. what helped me when I was waiting to be put asleep was to think about the CLOTHES I was going to buy when I'm thin, by the time I got to the shoes to match, I was asleep;) .

Thanks guys, it sure helps to hear from other people.

My hotel is in Mississauga, by the airport, I got a $65/night rate for a full suite, I figured the of cab ride to and from the clinic (45 minutes or so) still wouldn't cost as much as a room by the clinic. We're staying in Toronto for 4 nights.

I pray this surgery helps, I'm sure you all had second thoughts before you went in, I just keep imagining that I'll get the band and nothing will change. It seems like there are a lot of people on this board who have this going on.

Anyway, thanks everyone, you're the best!

Buffie

Buffie....LOL the cab ride from the clinic to your hotel in Mississauga will NOT take 45 mins!!! If it does, the cabbie is ripping you off!!!!!

Even in rush hour it shouldn't take that long.

Make sure he takes the Gardiner Expressway to the 427 North.....it will be faster and less "stop and go" for you. Don't let him take you thru the city or it WILL take a lot longer (but not 45 mins!).

Ok, good. I've never been to Toronto and was just going by the time the hotel gave me. That's good it's not that far.

Thanks again!

As I write this you will be on your way to the clinic. Please let me know how your experience was. woodys@sympatico.ca

Ask any questions for post-op help, we'll help you the best we can.

Talk to you lighter :cool:

Carol