Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

what will I do in the hospital?

What will I be doing in the hospital after surgery? I will be having mine with Dr Aceves. Will I be on so much pain medicine that I will be sleepy/sleeping for days? What sort of things did people do to occupy their time while they were laying in bed? I will be having surgery 12/9 and wondering what to bring. Thanks

MBOSKI

213 currently

hope to be 125ish

Humm good question. I know you are there for 3 days and they like you to move around have fluids and I am sure get rest. I have not yet had the sleeve and cannot fully comment. I am sure a veteran sleever will give you an idea as to what to somewhat expect.

Lily

I'm two weeks post-op so I'm no expert. In the hospital I slept, drank fluids, and walked. But I was only there for one night. Maybe if I was in there for three days I would have turned the tv on or listened to my ipod. Ive' read on this site that people brought their laptops, books, magazines, etc.

I packed a robe, slippers, chapstick, brush, toothbrush/paste, GasX strips (I got that idea from the wonderful people on this site), something comfy to go home in.

Hope this helps! good luck. :-)

What will I be doing in the hospital after surgery? I will be having mine with Dr Aceves. Will I be on so much pain medicine that I will be sleepy/sleeping for days? What sort of things did people do to occupy their time while they were laying in bed? I will be having surgery 12/9 and wondering what to bring. Thanks

MBOSKI

213 currently

hope to be 125ish

I had my surgery at 10:30 am or so and by 2 pm I was able to shuffle down the hallway and back. I read lots of magazines, played computer games, called friends and family on Skype daily, and surfed the web. Brushed up on my Spanish, too - I tried to speak it as much as I could. I was pretty bored by day 3, to be honest. The pain meds didn't affect me negatively.

I was in hospital for 3 days, took a book magazines, but to be honest didn't feel like doing much. Not because of the pain or anything, but because the weeks before I had been on such a high that I was really tired! So when I wasnt walking around or sipping I would just sleep or watch some tv! Good luck :)

If I'd been in the hospital for 3 days I'd have been bored outta my mind! I went home at noon the next day, so pretty much all I felt like doing while I was there was sleeping. I took a book and my iPod and they'd have been my saving graces if I'd had to hang around there for three days.

I am still waiting for my final approvals, but hoping for a date of Dec 2, so am thinking about what you are, too.

Although I am having my surgery in the US (Dr. Pomp, New York Presbyterian, if everything works out right), and found this new BLOG that describes Tammy's experience having surgery in Mexico. It's great to read, and she put lots of pictures.. check it out...

http://tamboo.tumblr.com/

I'm thinking that I'll take an IPOD and a magazine... want to travel light, and imagine that I'll be sleeping a lot and watch some TV... but this is all in my imagination at this point, of course.

A woman wrote about this but I'm not familiar enough with the site to be able to go find her post.... She also had her surgery with Dr. Aceves and she said the first day she slept a lot and little interest in anything else.

However, after day one it was a different story and she was quite bored. She said that they have wireless internet so if you have a laptop - bring it! She also mentioned that the TV only has Spanish stations so that did not hold her attention. I'm thinking of buying a portable DVD player and my sister has a little Nintendo game player and I'll try to borrow that and her iPod as well (since I don't have a laptop).

She said that magazines are way better than a book because it's hard to concentrate when you're being given pain meds.

Someone also mentioned crafts (knitting, etc.) to pass the time.

I just had a uterine fibroid removed and was in the hospital for two days. I felt like crap and on the second day I tried doing deep breathing exercises and healing mediations (visualization) and I brought a portable DVD player with some guided imagery CDs that I bought from www.healthjourneys.com

It's a good way to pass the time and help your body get in the healing mode. Health Journeys has CD's for EVERYTHING. The ones I have are for Fibromyalgia pain and general well being and stress but they have one specifically for surgery and I ordered it the other day ($20+shipping). Before anyone jumps to conclusions, NO, I'm not selling it and I don't work for Health Journeys. I learned about Bellaruth Naprosek when I took pain mgmt classes at the hospital. They had us listen to these and at first I thought it was a joke but I felt so relaxed afterward that I bought some for myself. Here is the surgery tape: http://www.healthjou...9&mcid=10= (great reviews!!)

Good luck! I'm thinking about 12/17 but still haven't scheduled.