Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

WAAY to fast- and kinda freaky

So, i have been lurking around here for about 6 weeks. My friend told me about the Sleeve- and i was excited about it!

This past tuesday i went to an info session at the local hospital- everyone was very nice. they talked about the various options-

i still liked the Sleeve option the best.

met with the sergeon today- she suggested the sleeve as well-

then the hiccup came- i am currently on Aetna- but starting January 1st i switch to BCBS.... since Aetna is more supportive and my BMI doesnt meet the needs for the sleeve through BC, she suggested RUSHING this process.

So, i met wtih the dietician already, have surgery scheduled for 12/21 (there goes my christmas) i have support meetings scheduled every week until then, and i have to get my dr to write that i have been medically supervised while on Weight W.

so, right now, all this happened in the past 4 hours TODAY. i am kinda freaking out.

and i dont really know how much money this is going to cost.... im waiting to hear back from the insurance lady at the drs office to give me (and my husband) an idea of the cost out of pocket- with deductable etc.

ahhhhhh

help me calm down please!?!?

Hey. I have Aetna as well, but I mean is it even possible to RUSH this and them still cover the surgery because of the 3 month supervised exercise regimen/ nutrtionist supervised diet?

You know, while I am in a completely different circumstance than you are, I kinda ended up just like you --

My husband is a diplomat and in June we move to Paraguay in South America. I thought to myself, this would be a great time to get my weight loss surgery done. I had initially wanted the lap band. So we scheduled an appointment with the surgeon who's done the most weight loss surgeries and he said, "I don't do bands, but you can choose the sleeve or the bypass." Well, I knew I didn't want the bypass for the dumping and other stuff, but I had never really considered the sleeve. I read up on it and decided, ok, I'll get the sleeve.

We went back to the doctor, and he said, ok how about in 2 weeks. :blink:

Yep!! I literally had to start my pre-op diet THAT day. It was crazy. And then I went in and all is history.

So, you CAN do this!! From what I've read on the boards, Aetna seems to be easier to deal with -- so go for it :D

Sounds like the Drs are willing to help. Go for it.

Honestly, im not sure HOW this is going to work with Aetna! i have been working with my PCP to work on my BP and pre diabetes diagnosis for the past two years- with both excersise and weight management.

so, we will see.

after all this- it might be denied anyway right!?!

but then i have to go wtih BCBS who only covers teh band... .:(

If you can show 6 months of supervised weight loss with your pcp, you should be fine. Aetna responds quickly. Your pcp will have to write a summary of diet and weight for 6 consecutive months.

Hi, After I got denied by Kaiser a few months went by and then my husband told me I could go the self pay route. I saw the surgeon on July 28 had surgery Aug 24 I was pretty excited/freaked too but am so happy to have had done it.

I got my approval in less than a week from Aetna, and yes it was scary lol! I received a call from the hospital a few days ago saying my co-pay was only $250!!! :o Here I was expecting 10% or at least $2,000!!! Needless to say I love Aetna lol!!!!