Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How to tell when you need a fill

Hello all--

I have had my 2nd fill on 3/31/06 (2cc total) and at first, I was very restricted and started losing at 2lbs per week. Now my restrictions are just sometimes, like in the mornings and some afternoons, and then I can eat well at dinner. The problem is that my weight loss is slowing to like 0.5 lbs per week. Also, (and I know I am not supposed to eat these) if I get tighter, will my ability to eat chips diminish? I swear I can eat chips and salsa just like before I was banded-- again, I know you shouldn't eat them-- but I was just wondering if that would go away too. I am such a food addict that I need pain to prevent me from eating some things.

Any info would be most helpful.

Thanks,

Kelly

Are you PBing every or throwing up?? As long as you aren't doing these things EVER and your weight loss is slowing down dramatically I feel like it time for you to get another fill. Just remember being too tight is no fun and can cause slippage and erosion. The key is to be as loose as you can be while still losing weight and eating every 3-4 hours. I was in the same situation as you--I have had 2 fills and am at 2.7 ccs and ws pondering if I should get another fill. I am tight on some meals and others I am not so I figured I didn't want to get so tight that I am PBing and sliming on every meal. But I am exercising every day and my weight loss is still around 1-2 lbs a week. You may want to go for a "tweak" if you continue to stall on your weight just remember to go slowly. I am still able to eat chips and salsa just in small amounts. I don't like giving up my treats!! :) Good luck to you and let us know what you decide to do!

~Liz~

banded 03/10/06

Dr.Ortiz

241/199/150

5'7''

Thanks for responding! I PB some-- usually because I have eaten too fast. Why I cannot get it through my head to slow down BEFORE the pain hits is beyond me. As long as I eat slow, I will not PB or slime. I was banded 12/28/06, first fill was 2/14/06, and had no restriction until 3/30/06 on my 2nd fill. So I never even knew what PBing or sliming was until the last couple of months. I have lost 27lbs since my surgery, but the process is slow going and would like to have more restriction with foods that I shouldn't eat-- and speed up the process. My only apprehention to this is what if I tighten up, and can STILL eat the chips-- then I would stay where I was and just try harder on my diet. I already workout 5 mornings per week, I am just very weak when it comes to staying on a diet. I like to eat what I want- which is what got me here in the first place. Anyway, thanks again Liz. If anyone else out there has a similar situation, I would appreciate your input- thanks.

Kelly

hi miboyer...CHIPS and salsa could be my down fall...I take out just a few chips in a bowl...don't sit down with the bag...but be careful, because you can cheat on the band...My friend had the older type of band...never learned to eat correctly and eats lots of chips because they go down easy...she doesn't have the lapband. With my last fill, I am able to limit myself, but really, I could push it to the limits and eat more, and more, and more...so be careful...the band is a tool, but sometimes on certain things, we do have to have a little will power...I was a volume eater...Thank God for the lapband that does limit the intake...We'll make it...and learn to eat in moderation. Congratulations on your weight loss..patricia