Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am starting to wonder about my choice.

Hey everyone! My 6 months of "supervised weighloss program" ends on the the 13th of next month.:faint: I have not seen my doctor yet. I have only attended the seminar (which was last November). I really wanted to make sure that everything went through with my insurance before I went in to talk to the doctor. So now, it's almost here and I am feeling alittle apprehensive about my selection of my surgeon. His office pretty much as said "call us when you are done with the program and we'll see then." I guess there really isn't anything that they can really do... It would just be nice if they were more interested. There have been so much talk about band slippage, erosion, infections.... I am wondering, (here) do I want to spend that much time and money on something that isn't going to work for me?:) Will it be something that will be a help for me the rest of my life?:) Is this a phase that everyone has gone through or is it just me being silly? Like I said I will be done with the program July 13 and hopefully will get to see the doctor there soon after, so maybe by the end of July or the first part of August will be my band date. Thanks for listening... My DH is sick of me!!!!:bored

Hello Dovie,

I think just about everyone goes through the "is this the right thing?" freak-out phase before getting the band. It is, after all, a huge step. It is a radical step, and not one that is taken lightly.

It could be that the surgeon's office you have chosen is not a full service clinic, and they arelly are just concerned with the surgery part, and not so much the touchy feely end of things. I really don't know. You might call and see if tere is a patient co-ordinator that you can voice your concerns with. Maybe an omsbudsman?

Like Vines said everyone goes through "is this the right thing?" But you know only YOU can make that choice. I am one of the "infection" people and I will tell you I would still get the band knowing what I know now, in fact I am getting my band replaced... so that shows YES I would do it again. There are so many people that have the band.. if you look at the big picture there are only a small handful of people that have problems. and A lot of them are getting rebanded. But like I said before It is YOUR choice. About your Dr. maybe they just dont really know what to do until you can actually go in and see him, maybe they will be more intrested when your actually a paitent. Or someone there could of been having a bad day. I dont know... just throwing ideas out.

Good luck with everything!

I knew all the risks... read all of the posts... and I decided that the smaller percentage chance of erosion, slippage, infections.. outweighed the 100% chance that if I didn't do something I would die young and have a miserable rest of my life...

I don't know your story, don't know anything about you... but it for me what up to the question of what was more important to me? Trying to fight this battle with all I could, hell, if I fail, at least I tried.

It is and will have to be a personal decision for everyone.

There are 8,030 members of this forum. Granted not all are active members, but with the sheer number of people that are banded and post you ARE going to hear about some complications. The percentage of complications with the lapband is actually very low.....and even slips, erosion, etc...are treatable. I really weighed the risk of a complication against the GARAUNTEE that I would have health related issues if I didnt lose this weight. For me it was a no brainer....I already had borderline high BP, insulin resistance, and high cholesterol...all obesity related. I was pretty much the highest risk possible for heart disease. I am already on the road to better health. I no longer take BP meds (BP now 120/72!). I have cut my Metformin dose for Insulin Resistance. My last bloodwork showed my cholesterol has dropped to only borderline high. I wish I had done this sooner! Huge bonus is being able to fit in Misses size 16 right now and be able to wear cute clothes again, and looking so much better!

Hi Dovie - I'm pre-band. I've pretty much decided to do it, meet with the surgeon tomorrow to make sure I'm a good candidate and talk about dates. I've had a lot of the same thoughts. I also agree with the comment about knowing that staying overweight is riskier then the band.

I read a post somewhere on this site, and can't find it now, but it said that often, those who have problems are more likely to post asking advice. Along with excited newbies of course. Those who are banded and happy are less likely to post, unless it's helping the rest of us. So what we read here might be a bit lopsided, if that makes any sense.

Hi Dovie I have been wondering about you. I knew it was getting close for the six month wl program to be over. I would say see the surgeon just so you know your options. I can understand the reluctance of the staff to jump right in when you have yet to see the doc. It takes a lot a resources to work on one patients case. Many are reluctant to put that effort into someone who then may not be their patient. With insurance dictating where you can and can't go (because the ins plan only contracts with certain docs) it is common to have to switch docs.

I still am going through the did I do the right thing stage. But you know what my brother who had RNY went through the same stage. I think anytime you face a life altering decision you second, third, fourth etc guess yourself. The best you can do is make an informed decision and then believe in yourself.

Keeping my fingers crossed for ya.

Myra

Thank you everyone! I am excited to have the band.. I guess I am just going through the "what if's". If I could of lost the weight by myself, I would have. NO, I need the tool! Thank you again. I'll just keep plugging along until July 13th.

Hi Dovie, I reached the conclusion that the risk outwayed the % of things happening. Sounds like you have done really well on the pre op diet. Its exciting. I was scared leading up to surgery myself. I am 7 days post op and I'm so glad I did this. The weight is already starting to come off. I am not hungry and you too will do great!

Hey everyone! My 6 months of "supervised weighloss program" ends on the the 13th of next month.:faint: I have not seen my doctor yet. I have only attended the seminar (which was last November). I really wanted to make sure that everything went through with my insurance before I went in to talk to the doctor. So now, it's almost here and I am feeling alittle apprehensive about my selection of my surgeon. His office pretty much as said "call us when you are done with the program and we'll see then." I guess there really isn't anything that they can really do... It would just be nice if they were more interested.

I found my surgeon's office gained a lot more interest when I finished my requirements. They even have different phone numbers for prospective patiens and actual patients. I just imagine that they are flooded with questions from prospectives, and they really need to focus on their patients.

Thanks everyone! I really appreciate your support! You are all right, I just need to be patient and wait my turn.... I am just going through the motions, emotions, etc. of that "I am finally almost there!" Thank you again... You all are so great..

How's it going? Your almost done!!!!!!!!!!!

Have you been in contact with your doc.

I have my fingers and toes crossed for ya.

Myra

Yes, everyone, It's done! I had my last "supervised appointment" today. I called the surgeon office and let them know to request the info from my PCP and then I called my insurance company to let them know that they would be hearing "again" from the surgeons office. So now it's that waiting game.... Hopefully it will be a quick answer and the one I want! I did go ahead and send a personal letter of request, even though that was not a requirement. All the hoops have been jumped, I think!?! Anyway, Thank you all for your input. I will let everyone know as soon as I know! Keep the Karma coming this away! Thanks again everyone!

Dovie, please stay in touch and let me know how you came out. I personally had no regrets in the surgery but then I had been thinking about it for years, just a waiting game to see when the insurance would finally pay off.