Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi all. I am 3 1/2 months post-op from vsg surgery. I had surgery 8/16/2010. Right after surgery for 2 weeks I was soooo sick and could hardly stand the nausea and pain. I went back to the Dr, he gave me different nausea and pain meds. Within a week I was so much better and felt almost normal again. I have been doing well until the last 2 weeks. I haven't changed my diet but have become intolerant of stuff I was able to eat a month ago. Sometimes it feels like my stomach is turning flips. I am also feeling so tired, I think that is from fighing the nausea and not eating much. I have now gone back to eating chicken noodle Soup, popsicles, Jello and mashed potatoes. I have noticed in the last couple of days if I have a glass of white wine at night It seems to calm my stomach and the nausea goes away for me to go to bed. Is this just more adjusting and healing time and it will get better with time or should I be worried. Has anyone else had this problem? If so can you tell me what helped. I am just tired of being sick to my stomach.

I wish I knew what to say. I'm sorry. I had a teeny bit of nausea while in the hospital - I was afraid that the contrast Fluid was going travel all the way back up while the radiologist watched ON screen...but thankfully I have yet to vomit on anything, phew.

I guess if I was in your shoes, I would start by making a daily list of everything you eat, and note the times that you feel a wave of nausea. Then call your dr. or ask to get in with your NUT and review everything with both of them.

I know some other people on this board have had the same trouble, hopefully they will chime in. Maybe it's time to temporarily go back on some anti-nausea meds until you feel better? Again, sorry this is a problem for you.

Are you on an acid reducer like Prilosec, Protonix, Nexium or Prevacid? If you are, you might need to change to a different one, if you aren't, I would recommend talking to your surgeon about getting on one.

Alcohol definitely relaxes my sleeve, and all it does is allow me to eat more. I hope you feel better soon. Your sleeve is healed, and you really shouldn't be having these issues this far out. I hope you feel better soon, and hopefully your surgeon has some suggestions for you.

Thanks for the reply. I have an Dr appointment on 11/17 will check with him.

I wish I knew what to say. I'm sorry. I had a teeny bit of nausea while in the hospital - I was afraid that the contrast Fluid was going travel all the way back up while the radiologist watched ON screen...but thankfully I have yet to vomit on anything, phew.

I guess if I was in your shoes, I would start by making a daily list of everything you eat, and note the times that you feel a wave of nausea. Then call your dr. or ask to get in with your NUT and review everything with both of them.

I know some other people on this board have had the same trouble, hopefully they will chime in. Maybe it's time to temporarily go back on some anti-nausea meds until you feel better? Again, sorry this is a problem for you.

Thanks for the reply. I have an Dr appointment on 11/17 will check with him.

I'm glad you are contacting your surgeon about this. Please check back in so we know all is well with you!

The only thing I have tried when it gets really bad is Pepto or Tums but not on regular basis. I think I may have an acid problem because sometimes when I haven't eaten yet it feels like my stomach is eating on itself. So I eat then get sick. I don't throw up and haven't. I don't eat after wine but it does seem to relax and calm my stomach. Did you write to someone else about red wine not being good for some reason? I will talk to my Dr about the acid reducers. I have read several posts about how much others are eating and there is no I can eat that much. What do you eat on a normal day? Thanks for talking to me.

Are you on an acid reducer like Prilosec, Protonix, Nexium or Prevacid? If you are, you might need to change to a different one, if you aren't, I would recommend talking to your surgeon about getting on one.

Alcohol definitely relaxes my sleeve, and all it does is allow me to eat more. I hope you feel better soon. Your sleeve is healed, and you really shouldn't be having these issues this far out. I hope you feel better soon, and hopefully your surgeon has some suggestions for you.

The only thing I have tried when it gets really bad is Pepto or Tums but not on regular basis. I think I may have an acid problem because sometimes when I haven't eaten yet it feels like my stomach is eating on itself. So I eat then get sick. I don't throw up and haven't. I don't eat after wine but it does seem to relax and calm my stomach. Did you write to someone else about red wine not being good for some reason? I will talk to my Dr about the acid reducers. I have read several posts about how much others are eating and there is no I can eat that much. What do you eat on a normal day? Thanks for talking to me.

It really does sound like acid, and that's how I felt before I went on Prilosec. I eat a lot more than what I could at 2-3 months out. I'm 17 months out so I can eat 3-5oz of meat, 3oz if I want veggies/carbs, 5oz is all I can eat if I don't want any veggies. I can eat about 1 cup of soft chili with Beans, and I never eat more than 1 cup of food in one meal. I can stretch my meal out further, sip my drink during my meal, and that allows me to eat more.

Yes, the tanic acid in red wine can irritate the sleeve, something about the pH and all that jazz. If you're appointment isn't until the 17th, I would call your surgeon because sometimes it takes up to 10-14 days for the PPI to kick in fully. That's another long 2 weeks for you to feel bad. You can also get Prilosec, Prevacid over-the-counter.

The Calcium carbonate in Tums and Rolaids can also cause more rebound reflux. Try some Gaviscon until your surgeon can get you a RX or okays you to go on the OTC version.

I would recommend everyone getting on a digestive enzyme. I went to the herb shop and got a liquid one and it has changed my life. My sliming is down to a bare minimum and I feel so much better.

Jovonia