Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery scheduled

Just heard about this forum on Wed while at my consult. I am in a daze at this time. I have been considering having WLS since 2003. My insurance would not pay back then. That was a good enough reason to say oh well cannot have it. Since then I have "thought" about having this done many,many times but always said that is too drastic so I will do what ever it takes and lose it on my own. Well that hasn't worked out well at all, as in I have lost and gained small amounts repeatedly but haven't really lost any amount worth "bragging" about.

I will be 64 in Jan and have 6 grandchildren the youngest is 5. I have said that my goal was to live to see him graduate from high school. While I love all of my grandchildren equally for reasons that are too long to go into here that 5 year old and I have a special relationship. My daughter told me about a month ago that if anything happened to me, meaning if I died, this grandchild would be devasted. When I told my husband about this he added yes he would be and would think that I had just left him. As it is now he wants to stay with me all the time. I began to think about the surgery again. I thought about him and how I don't want to leave him or any of my family for that matter so this time I actually went to a seminar, received the insurance approval and have surgery scheduled for Nov. 15th.

The night after my consult I couldn't sleep for the fear of what I had committed to do. Since then I thought I was ok with going through with the surgery. Now after reading several areas on this forum I am SCARED again. Not sure if I can do the 2 week pre-op liquid diet & if I can't do that how on earth will I be able to do the diet for the rest of my life?

I know the benefits out weigh the risks of surgery, which I have a couple, and far out weigh my life expectancy if I have the surgery. I have had many operations and just the thought of having another one causes me great distress. I AM SCARED TO GO THROUGH THIS.

Tonight I am thinking that I am calling on Monday and canceling but as I sit here typing this I can see that precious little face and him telling me "Nanny I love you so much"

but still thinking that I can lose this weight on my own knowing full well that I can't.

Maybe I shouldn't have read so much on this but I wanted to be informed before I take such a drastic step. I don't want to do this but I don't know what else to do.

Hi Ginny and Welcome!

In my opinion and this is just my own opinion, you have to do WLS for yourself.

Everyone has an agenda---health, love ones, be thin, etc.

But the bottom line is--it's your body. You have to dig deep inside you and decide if WLS is right for you.

Some people are ready for it, while others are not. I, myself, will be having WLS done this Monday (nov 1) I am so ready for this.

You mentioned that you are scared. Scared of what? Scared of the surgery, being thin, being healthy, changes.

If nothing else Ginny--do this for you!

Keep us posted and good luck..

Pam

Welcome! I totally agree with Pam, this HAS to be for YOU, and no one else. I think it is NORMAL to be scared, because this is a huge change.

I'm guessing that part of your list of requirements is a psychological evaluation, I would highly recommend going to this with an open heart and fully discussing your fears with a qualified professional.

The truth is that this is only a TOOL to help you lose the weight. YOU have to do the work, and it is best to know that before you go under the knife.

In the end this is your body, your life and your decision to make. You have definitely come to the right place for support though! Good luck with whatever you decide.