Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

6 month supervised diet

Just got news my insurance, BCBS, is requiring me to go on a 6 month medically supervised diet before they'll approve the VSG. I'm not happy about waiting 6 more months but I guess there's nothing I can do about it. :-(

A 6 month supervised diet is what most insurance companies require if you do not have any co-morbidities. With them it's usually a 3 month supervised diet.. Count your blessings no matter how unfair it seems.. I know a lady that has had BCBS throughout her whole career as a teacher, and now that she is 64 and a year into retirement they won't cover the surgery because she is no longer an employee of the state. She is greatful however that come February she switches to Medicare because she turns 65.

My insurance requires a 6 month supervised diet, and I am a little over 2 weeks away from completing it YaY!!! And don't be surprised if they ask for more then just a supervised diet. I have had x-rays, blood work, a pych eval, 1 meeting with a dietician, and a sleep study as well as an EKG. With both sleep studies my blood pressure was elevated so I am hoping that makes it's way into my chart as well.. The more I can add to my charts that show me leading toward more health issues the more it goes toward me getting approved. As unfair or as Sucky as it sounds most everyone on here as had to go through the dieting and exercising to get approved.. Best of Luck to You on you Journey!!

A 6 month supervised diet is what most insurance companies require if you do not have any co-morbidities. With them it's usually a 3 month supervised diet.. Count your blessings no matter how unfair it seems.. I know a lady that has had BCBS throughout her whole career as a teacher, and now that she is 64 and a year into retirement they won't cover the surgery because she is no longer an employee of the state. She is greatful however that come February she switches to Medicare because she turns 65.

My insurance requires a 6 month supervised diet, and I am a little over 2 weeks away from completing it YaY!!! And don't be surprised if they ask for more then just a supervised diet. I have had x-rays, blood work, a pych eval, 1 meeting with a dietician, and a sleep study as well as an EKG. With both sleep studies my blood pressure was elevated so I am hoping that makes it's way into my chart as well.. The more I can add to my charts that show me leading toward more health issues the more it goes toward me getting approved. As unfair or as Sucky as it sounds most everyone on here as had to go through the dieting and exercising to get approved.. Best of Luck to You on you Journey!!

I had to do that as well, and it is so hard to wait.

But in my case I was eternally grateful because originally I was going to do the band. That 6 month required wait time allowed me time to 1. learn about VSG and 2. do enough research that I was 100% confident it was the better choice for me.

Hang in there, I won't lie and say that it goes fast, but it will save you thousands and thousands of dollars to have insurance help kick in and pay vs. self-pay, so think about how much extra $$$ you will have left for new clothes! :)

Just got news my insurance, BCBS, is requiring me to go on a 6 month medically supervised diet before they'll approve the VSG. I'm not happy about waiting 6 more months but I guess there's nothing I can do about it. :-(

Hello, I am new to this site and forum. I too was just advised that I must do the 6 month supervised diet/exercise with my physician. I am not surprised b/c that is what was written in my company's policy and I have UHC. I am okay with the 6 months....that means I will have surgery in May sometime probably and the weather will be really nice. I am going to keep exercising and trying to lose some weight prior to surgery. I currently weigh around 293 and I'm 30 years old. Thanks for posting...this helps keep me sane. :)