Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need advice/opinions

I'm going to Dr Philippe Quilici but I'm in SoCal. I googled Dr Felix and he seems to have positive comments except the for the one complaining about their program fee. My surgeon has a program fee as well which covers the psych evaluation and nutrition classes that my insurance is requiring for 4 months.

Yeah they have a 950 dollar program fee which isn't horrible i guess. I might see if I can work my way around that since i live like 3 hours from his practice.

How about checking other surgeons in Ca in other parts of the state? I am in L.A. and I know UCLA and a center in San Diego, Cedars to name a few have sleeve experience. As far as follow goes any surgeon and PCC with barriatric experience could do it.

Hi Rob,

Same boat.... I was considering the band and went to a required seminar and found out two things that I didn't know. 1. You had to keep it for life. 2. You had some pretty serious follow up to contend with. After I got online and started researching, I quickly realized that I'm not willing to deal with that nightmare.

I'm in San Diego and I also have Blue Cross PPO (Anthem) and after pulling teeth to finally talk to somene who could confirm that the sleeve was indeed covered, I found out that Blue Cross considers it 'investigational' and does not cover at all. They will cover the bypass or the band but not the sleeve. Also, I would have to have any bariatric surgery at a COE for it to be covered and that severely limits your choice in doctors unless you're willing to travel far and wide.

I was very disappointed and I went to the appt with my surgeon and talked to him about it. He explained that this surgery was a life changing decision and I should not even consider going with something or someone I'm not comfortable with and he ensured me that they would probably cover the sleeve in the next few years. He also told me that the cash price here would be in the tens of thousands (hospital alone would be nearly $20k). I started reading about Mexico surgeons and kept coming across Dr. Aceves name. I know that people are hired to get his name out there and say good things to bring in pateints but I find so much and so many people who claim he was their surgeon and he is awesome. I think it's a sign that he is only 2 hrs away from me and will actually pick me up at home (I live near airport) and bring me back home. I'm considering mid December but I haven't made my final decision about it yet. I can't afford it but I'm so ready and if I need to go further into debt to get it so be it....

Im going to Dr Ali in Sacramento UCDavis Med Center. Its a center of excellence and he is the head of the dept of a teaching school. He has done many many RNY. I need to ask him how many VSGs but I don't think many. His partner there recommended me for the sleeve or RNY, so the are doing the sleeve there at least some of the time. Their record is GREAT for RNY. They do not recommend the band at all, and this gives me even more confidents.

Newbie, hoping for a date in December. I see that you have looked into Dr. Felix in Fresno. I am going with Dr. Higa and Boone in Fresno. Dr. Higa has been teaching the sleeve procedure you can read about him here http://www.medwatchtoday.com/2649.htm I have Blue Cross of CA *** and plan to appeal if not approved! As far as I know, no program fees.

Newbie, hoping for a date in December. I see that you have looked into Dr. Felix in Fresno. I am going with Dr. Higa and Boone in Fresno. Dr. Higa has been teaching the sleeve procedure you can read about him here http://www.medwatchtoday.com/2649.htm I have Blue Cross of CA *** and plan to appeal if not approved! As far as I know, no program fees.

Thanks! I will look into Dr. Higa could be another option. Have you gone to one of his seminars? Do you know any stats about him? How many RNY's, VSG's, Lapbands? Anymore info about him would be GREAT!

I went to his seminar and have been attending nutrition classes. I go on the 18th for my certficate and then my paperwork gets submitted to insurance. You can go to the web site I gave you and it will give you lots of info on Dr. Higa. The surgery will be done at the Fresno Heart Hospital.

Shirley