Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just Joined - VSG on 11/02

Hello everyone,

I would like to introduce myself - I found this place googling for vertical sleeve post op meal plans (yes, that specific :P) because I finally made the decision that WLS is what I have to do.

Here is a little bit about me. I was born and raised in Germany. I was a normal weight child, and started to gain weight when I hit puberty, maybe with 13, 14 - basically when the natural activity (as in "running around" and tree climbing) of childhood stopped. I stopped riding my bike and traded it for a moped when I was 16, the hormonal changes during puberty probably didn't help so I started to gain weight.

My parents are both normal weight, my Dad due to being very active and my Mom due to being a very controlled eater. He has a passion for hiking and cycling while my Mom is one of those people who can have a box of candy in a drawer and just eat one piece every now and then.

My Mom worried about my weight all my life, and put me on diets, "light" products etc. and my Dad taunted me about what I ate, how much I ate so I believe I often ate out of spite. I tried pretty much every diet on earth, cabbage, grapefruit, weight watchers, eating "light" etc.

The major change occurred when I came to the US. All of a sudden I was in the suburbs instead of a downtown apartment, had a car so no need to walk to stores and places, so much new food to try etc. Since then, I have again tried everything, weight watchers, low calories, high Protein, low carbs, GI diet, lemon cleanse, "Biggest Loser", and I lose some and gain it back. My physician asked me last year if I had considered weight loss surgery because I seemed like a perfect candidate for the lap band but at that point I was hoping I can still do it without any surgical help.

I spent the first half of the year working mostly from home - basically a last desperate attempt to lose weight "Biggest Loser" style with as much exercise as possible and restricted eating. I managed to drop 16 pounds with working out about 2 hours each day and watching my calories which was a major disappointment because I expected more in 4 months. Unfortunately, once I had to get back to work from the office full time, I could not sustain that lifestyle and I just about gained it all back again.

At this point, I feel I can't do it alone. Trying to lose weight has taken over my life, I am constantly thinking of food, calories, workout - I can't enjoy any meal without a massive guilt trip, I cannot relax because I am constantly reminded that I should work out instead of reading a book or watching TV and with every bite I take, I am calculating calories and the repercussions this food has.

I am hoping that WLS will give me the physical support to once and for all lose weight and maintain it. I like to work out, I enjoy weight training and walking and I would love to be able to run a 5k or 10k or even more.

I have my surgery on November 2nd - next Tuesday - and I am equally excited and scared.

Looking forward to participating in this lovely forum!

Susanne

PS: I have posted a similar intro on another forum but found that place to be too inactive and too general - sorry for the lazy cross-post :-)

Welcome Susanne. I think you will find this a great place to meet people and to discuss your journey. I am at goal and got there in less than 9 months. I struggled with being overweight/obese my entire life. I joke that I even started life big being born at 10 pounds 10 ounces. We also have some regular "long timers" who can provide information on being 1+ years out.

Not very long now - huh? I'm sure you are going through every emotion possible right now. Hang on ... pre-surgery is tough. And I won't kid you - the first week or so after surgery, you may be wondering "what the heck did I do". The first month can be very emotional as you progress through the post-op diet and possibly "mourn" food. But, things really kick into gear after month 1 ... You will wonder what took you so long to have WLS.

Please post any questions that you might have. We are glad to help. Again, welcome to the group.

Hi Susanne,

Welcome! I have found so much info here---

I am 1 day before you...I'll have my surgery done this Monday- 11/1

I am not at all scared. I'm just excited...

Good luck, and keep us posted pls

Pam

You're going to love it here...welcome :)

Hi from Genesee County! You sound like the perfect person for VSG, honestly, and I think you're totally gonna rock this thing. A 5K is absolutely do-able.... I've never been a runner although I've tried many times. Before a couple of months ago, I'd run a mile exactly ONE time in my life, because I had to for gym class. Started the Couch to 5K program in July and two months later, ran my first 5K -- so if I can do it, anyone can! You have sooooooo many things to look forward to, things you don't even think about right now. Gear up mentally and get ready for the ride of your life! :D

Welcome! You will love the support, encouragment, and honesty the members provide!! Good luck on your surgery--we'll see you on the other side!

Fit

Hi and welcome. I think one of the best things about this surgery so far is I'm not beating myself up as you described. Before surgery I would eat something or too much of it and I would berate myself. I'd see myself in the mirror or pictures and think of how fat I was. Everyday I started a new diet and by lunch time had failed. I still have bad habits. I still want to eat just to eat. I still don't make perfect choices but I'm learning and I'm a lot nicer to myself. You will love the sleeve! WELCOME!

Welcome! Congrats on your decision for a VSG. You will love it here. The support is wonderful. Good luck with your upcoming surgery!

Wow you are doing great! All I could do 6 hrs post op is push that pain button!

I am 3 wks post op and have lost 21 lbs in those 3 weeks. I am so happy with the sleeve and I know you will be too. You go girl!

Jeri

Yay Susanne! Good to know that you're feeling good right away and that everything went well. :)

So, I got home Thursday and I am feeling fairly good. It feels like I am getting a sore throat, but I am not sure if it is a cold, a memory of the respirator, or maybe even just acid.

I am working hard on my fluids, I made it through 16.9 oz. of Water, 14 oz. of Coconut Water (natural electrolyte with potassium), another 4 oz. of water over night and an 8 oz. (15 g) Protein drink.

I know I am behind on the intake, but I am starting the morning with the Protein Cappuccino to get an earlier start and I will send the hubby to GNC to get me some clear watery protein of some sort, possibly Isopure or so.

I am running a slightly high temperature between 99.1 and up to 99.7 but my note says not to worry unless it reaches 101. Right now, after a really good night sleep (IN MY BED!!!) it is 99.1 and I am feeling good to walk around but sitting at the desk is a little tough still.

I am keeping my blog updated through my phone, which is easier than sitting here - feel free to check it out