Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have never been the kind of woman to have cravings around the time of her cycle. Maybe I was, but never knew it because I always indulged my taste buds every day of the month and so didn't notice a change in what I ate. However, I am almost 4 months post-op and am approaching my cycle and all of a sudden, I F***ING WANT A PIECE OF f***ING chocolate, RIGHT NOW. I also want a stack of pancakes. Let me be clear - I have never ever in my life liked pancakes, not even when I was 294 pounds and ate anything I felt like eating and mass quantities of it. Even for me, pancakes felt like too much starch and carbs. All of a sudden though 2 days ago I cannot get the idea of hot pancakes dripping in butter with honey drizzled out of my head.

Since surgery I have had zero issues with old urges, old tastes, things that used to make my mouth Water don't now. So this is really wierd. I keep my daily carbs low low, like lower than 15 grams. And the chocolate thing, I just want a piece, just one taste, I NEED to have a square of chocolate melt in my mouth. AAAAAAAAAARGHH. What is going on? Give me some guidance people!!

I was the same way pre-op, and I think I never realized it because I ate so damn much every day of the month. I get ravenous carb cravings my actual ovulation week, and the week of my period. I've paid for it this month as I've packed on a whole whopping 6 lbs, I dropped 4 of those pounds, but I carb loaded 2 weeks ago, and I felt horrible. Plus, I was super busy and just eating junk on the run. I know these last 2 pounds are essentially Water weight, and it'll go away here in a couple of days, but my cravings are pretty crazy during that ovulation week. I don't get them the week before my period starts, but during my cycle, I feel like I'm raiding the fridge like it's my last meal. When I reached goal, I did start allowing myself a treat here and there, I think even in my losing stage around Halloween last year, I did have a few little miniature candies. It was easier back then to just have a couple than it is to just have a few now. I have to have more self-control now than I ever did during the first 6-8 months post-op.

Have a piece of chocolate chickee, you deserve it ! ! ! Since you can't get lovin', you need chocolate or you're gonna go crazy. . .

I know it's easy for us to say since we're at goal weight, but I also don't see any reason to deprive yourself of a small treat every now and then. I keep some of the Hershey's dark chocolate kisses in the house and eat one or two if I get that chocolate craving. I store them in a plastic container in the top shelf of my pantry so they're not that easy to get to. Then I'll take 2 out and put the container back.

I also keep a box of fudge pops in the freezer. They are low fat and have no added sugar and are much better for me than a bowl of ice cream. As long as you can control your portion size and how often you eat them, treats can help make life a little more fun.

SO last night I went to the difac and got a tablespoon of chocolate pudding with a tablespoon of whipped cream. Between that and the .5 ounces of chocolate covered caramel pop I had, I satisfied the choco-beast. However, that was my first deliberate sugar since surgery nearly 4 months ago and I woke up this morning puffy faced like the Stay-Puft Marshmallow Man and dragging ass. Also, even though the treats were tasty, there was something wierd about the taste, sort like the difference between a regular crayon vs. neon paint. It was a little too loud.

I really do not feel my "best" when I eat junk food. It tastes great, but it leaves me feeling listless, and just kind of blah. If I eat full fat/sugar ice cream, I pretty much have to sleep it off because it hits me so hard. Fried foods get me too. . . I now know why naturally "fit" and healthy eaters feel so great. It's mainly when I overindulge in something, and I sure do wish things that weren't so great for me tasted horrible still. My tastes buds reverted back to their pre-op food lusting glory! ! !

I really do not feel my "best" when I eat junk food. It tastes great, but it leaves me feeling listless, and just kind of blah. If I eat full fat/sugar ice cream, I pretty much have to sleep it off because it hits me so hard. Fried foods get me too. . . I now know why naturally "fit" and healthy eaters feel so great. It's mainly when I overindulge in something, and I sure do wish things that weren't so great for me tasted horrible still. My tastes buds reverted back to their pre-op food lusting glory! ! !

Yep so it was satisfying and contrary to my fears, did not reanimate a junk monster. Actually, I think I may approach these kinds of treats in the same manner as alcohol; I pesonally wouldn't drink a cocktail every night (always been a lightweight), I wouldn't feel well. But a cocktail or two on a Friday night, a bloody mary on a weekend morning, is perfectly acceptable. Well, sending sugar into my bloodstream has a radical effect on my body, just as alcohol would. So, I think that I will be a "teetotaller" during the week, and indulge in a "choc-tail" on Saturday nights!