Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Better late than never...

All my life, well at least since sixth grade, I've been overweight. I've never been physically active, so as the years go on, so do the pounds. This year, my wife and I made a decision to get sleeved and hope that our four year old son doesn't remember us as fat couch potatoes. My words, not hers. In any event, she was sleeved two and a half weeks before me and I was sleeved on October 8 of this year. Post-op was fine, very little pain and one week after my surgery, we went on a 3.2 mile hike. Yeah, it was killer but it was great to be outside.

The first two weeks were great with Clear liquids and now with mushies... this last week has been awful for me because I am always hungry. I mean always. Not just hungry but what I would call before my operation as starving. My wife? She is never hungry and has to remind herself to eat. I control my portions and measure out .5 cup at a time... but the hunger is so incredibly annoying, I eat multiple .5 servings every day. We all have different experiences, don't we?

I go see the doctor's office next week for my four week post-op checkup and I'm very interested to hear what the office has to say about my experience. My wife and I are both excited to go along this journey together and I'm very excited to achieve fitness and physical well-being for my youngest son. I trolled this forum for a while, gathering information when we were deciding if we wanted to do weight loss surgery and I'm so thankful for all of you sharing your experiences and information. I look forward to sharing my experiences and reading yours. Good luck to everyone!

Good Luck! I will be having the surgery in 2 weeks and I can't believe that after a week you went for a hike!!

Could it be acid reflux?. I know a lot of people experience "hunger pangs" after surgery that are really acid reflux. Are you on a PPI? If not, it could be worth trying ...

I take Prilosec once a day, and after I posted that last night, I did a little more reading on PPIs and Prilosec in particular. From everything I read, it sounds like you're right, the acid is the culprit, and as such, I took a second Prilosec last night. Going forward, until I see the doctor's office again, I'm going to take it twice a day and see if that helps. While I haven't felt a change just yet, I'm hopeful that this will fix it. Being "hungry" sucks!

Though I read it time and time again, I'm still surprised that the recovery period is very quick for some people. I went back to work a week and a half after the procedure and could have gone back earlier but opted to have fun at home. My only challenge has been/still is an anesthesia hangover, where I feel fuzzy or groggy from time to time. At three weeks out from my surgery, I still feel the affects just not as frequently. I wasn't prepared for that at all.

MicNic, good luck with yours, you won't regret it.

So glad this is going well for you! :) I too would not change a thing -- I think it's going to be a literal life saver for me :) Welcome to our community :)