Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What to cook for a picky SO

I am not the type that can happily make two or three different dinners for each picky taste in the house and I have been in a quandary trying to figure out how to feed someone whose four food groups are potato chips, donuts, Cookies, and sometimes what the wife cooks. He does not do veggies unless you count potatoes and corn with an occasional rice dish thrown in. And ramen noodles. He does not take kindly to the sneaking veggies in every day dishes thing. He can taste a molecule of cauliflower in mashed taters. I no longer make my usual lasagna, shepherd's pie, hamburger helper and nice fattening goodies. Especially since only one person would be eating it and I only have so much room in my freezer.

I want to make the lovely dishes in my WLS recipe books but they call for things neither of us like. I am getting tired of tuna fish and canned chicken and turkey. I can take out some hamburger for me when I make his dinner but that gets old too. He has already gone through all the frozen pizza and hungry man dinners I bought for after my surgery and is now expectantly waiting for me to cook something. I feel like driving him 20 miles to the nearest fast food and saying take your pick!

Help!

Chili can usually be made healthy, add some black Beans , lowest fat meat/or turkey if you can take it. Its one of the few healthy dishes that my husband says doesn't taste like diet food.

there are also some great kid friendly ramen noodle recipes that are good for picky eaters.

When hunting for recipes on the internet, look for healthy kid friendly recipes as they often work for picky eaters. (my mom is the picky eater in my family. I remember many firsts on trying new foods at friends houses as we didn't eat them at my house - pees, broccoli, cauliflower, liver, cesar salad, taco sauce, brussel sprouts, cheese other than american, grilled onions and bell pepper... my mom swears that I could not be her child).

I am not the type that can happily make two or three different dinners for each picky taste in the house and I have been in a quandary trying to figure out how to feed someone whose four food groups are potato chips, donuts, Cookies, and sometimes what the wife cooks. He does not do veggies unless you count potatoes and corn with an occasional rice dish thrown in. And ramen noodles. He does not take kindly to the sneaking veggies in every day dishes thing. He can taste a molecule of cauliflower in mashed taters. I no longer make my usual lasagna, shepherd's pie, hamburger helper and nice fattening goodies. Especially since only one person would be eating it and I only have so much room in my freezer.

I want to make the lovely dishes in my WLS recipe books but they call for things neither of us like. I am getting tired of tuna fish and canned chicken and turkey. I can take out some hamburger for me when I make his dinner but that gets old too. He has already gone through all the frozen pizza and hungry man dinners I bought for after my surgery and is now expectantly waiting for me to cook something. I feel like driving him 20 miles to the nearest fast food and saying take your pick!

Help!

There are tons of recipes on the net that you can find with specific foods, and ingredients. I use www.allrecipes.com for all of my recipes. Anything that calls for sour cream, I use non-fat plain greek yogurt to cut calories, and fat, and up Protein.

I changed our entire menu/family dinners/meals when I had surgery. My husband is the furthest thing from picky, and my son is halfway picky, but they both learned real quick "eat what is prepared and be grateful, or eat a Peanut Butter jelly sandwich and shut up." It's funny what happens when you stop giving options/choices, and tell them this is dinner, enjoy or make your own. Rough, I know, but I wasn't going to cater to anyone.

You can cook shepherds pie, cut the recipe in half, and you eat the meat mixture. If you have a crock pot, there are tons of recipes on allrecipes for delish crock pot meals, and you can put in there what both of you like, he can pick out what he doesn't like, and you eat the parts you can. Best thing with crock pots, you can toss frozen chicken in there and it comes out perfect every time. I love making shredded barbque (from a roast) in the crock pot. The guys can eat barbque sandwiches on Kaiser rolls, I can eat the meat, I can make them some baked fries, and I can make me some baked sweet potato fries. I've posted tons of recipes in the recipe forum that you can adjust to your preferences.

Tell him to eat some veggies, his colon will thank him immensely ! ! !

Yeah, Tiffy, back when I was cooking for six, I decided to cook to please myself. Now that I myself am eating more plain food, I have no idea what to cook for my husband. He waited 13 years to tell me he didn't like noodles! Chili does sound good but I don't know if I could take it if both of us had it the same night. Wish I could get him to eat white chili.

One of the biggest arguments we ever had was shortly after we got married and I put salad on his plate. He will eat it when we go out but not at home. Go figure. He is a type 1 diabetic and has the worst diet I have ever seen anyone older than a teenager eat. And he weighs 135. I got him to eat whole grains after slowly adding them over five years but veggies will never pass his lips.

I feel like I am letting him down if I go back to cooking to please me and keeping in the bounds of my diet, but he IS a big boy and can always have a hot dog or ramen noodles. Or other garbage...

I make a shepherd's pie thing using a topping of ricotta, cream cheese, 1 egg, and a little milk...for topping......also make a mexican lasagna using corn tortillas instead of noodles.....both are tasty and my meat and potato guy eats them.....they freeze well so it easy for reheating at later dates....

You could cook a bunch of crap he likes and pre-freeze in portion size meals in tupperware. Do the same for yourself with your meal of choice. Then you both get what you want and you don't have to cook two meals every night - just reheat.

Erm,

would he do the cooking??? Problem solved??? Don't shout at me... just a thought!! x

Coop, With Age comes wisdom.. Well said! Mary

Erm,

would he do the cooking??? Problem solved??? Don't shout at me... just a thought!! x

Erm,

Cook? Cook??? He can fry hamburger in a pan with no lid on the highest heat. That is the extent of his cooking and it takes me two days to clean the grease from everything in a six foot radius. No wonder granny never let Jethro in the kitchen.

I guess I can go back to cooking to please me and let him fend for himself. Maybe if that is all there is, he might start eating healthy food! Yeah, and we will have world peace starting tomorrow...

Thanks, ladies